What's with the Uber ping?

DriverMckiver

The past couple of days my uber pings do not have any sound. I've upped all the volume sliders and adjusted to maximum sound. Now all I get is a maximum sound warning. It is unsafe to be driving with your eyes glued to the phone screen. Definitely a safety issue. Has anyone spoken to Uber about this? I use a Samsung A8, but it is not the phone, the Lyft app ping works normally. There was an android system update today. I'm hoping my uber ping is back when I go out tomorrow.

racer26

Last uber app update did this to me and some other drivers I talk to also.

As far as I can tell, its taken the ping sounds from going through the Android 'alarm' channel as it used to, which plays from the phone's speakers EVEN when connected to bluetooth, to the 'bluetooth/speaker' channel. If I have my phone NOT connected to my car, I get the ping sounds. If I have it connected AND my car stereo set for the bluetooth input, I get the sounds from my car's stereo, but if its connected and I'm on the FM radio input, the sounds are gone.

To help, I've switched on the vibrate on ping and flash on ping accessibility options in the app, which at least makes the phone do something a bit more noticeable.

DriverMckiver

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Last uber app update did this to me and some other drivers I talk to also.
That's strange. My pings disappeared a few days back but I didn't notice any app. upgrade. When it's working properly I don't pay all that much attention to it. The android system upgrade happened to me this morning just as I was finishing my shift, so I'm hoping this upgrade might do the reverse for me that the Uber upgrade did for you.:thumbdown::thumbdown: Don't mind turning off my bluetooth. It'll save me from those Chinese robo-calls I've been picking up lately.

DriverMckiver

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Same here, Samsung S8. No ping ping! Any iPhone users here facing the same issue?
Consider turning off your bluetooth either on the car or the phone. I'm told that's a temp fix. But this should be entirely on Uber. If they are as safety-minded as they claim this issue should be looked into and remedied immediately. Some noob might crash while watching his phone for pings. Would that make Uber liable?

Last edited:

Underground

With S8, you can connect to beacon and car audio simultaneously. Will play around and see, what happens.