1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

What's up with the surge lately?

Discussion in 'New York City' started by Red, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Red

Red

Driving:
    UberX
    There are still plenty of UberX available or at least shown through the rider's app, but surges has been crazy last few days.
    I wonder how high it would get without an artificial 2.8 cap?
    Perhaps price increase is on the horizon?
    I'm dazed and confused.
    Screenshot_2015-09-09-22-18-17.jpg

bezi_NY likes this.
  2. Lenny_yellow_cab

Lenny_yellow_cab

Driving:
    UberX
    I drive yellow and yesterday people were using Areo and way2ride like crazy becuz there were very few ubers available even at 2.8 surge

3. Backdash

Backdash

LOL

ubershiza likes this.
  4. The_One

The_One

People hate surge, it's not a good business practice. Surge reduces fares.

Red likes this.
  5. Lenny_yellow_cab

Lenny_yellow_cab

Driving:
    UberX
    Supply an demand ... I dont see a problem with it

bezi_NY likes this.
  6. The_One

The_One

No one said there is a problem with it, it just reduces the amount of fares, simple as that.

7. The_One

The_One

I was off, and I am sure many others are starting to realize that it's not sustainable with these dirt cheap rates and the over saturation of uber cars, add in the crazy traffic and then being stuck in the airport during rush hour for hours, it's just a complete disaster, uber are completely clueless how the transportation industry operates in nyc.

Red likes this.
  8. AdemHus

AdemHus

I had a 2.8 surge fare from W 26th st to Williamsburg last night. The chicks company was paying for the ride so she didn't care. lol

9. Lenny_yellow_cab

Lenny_yellow_cab

Driving:
    UberX
    The only reason i still manage to make the same amouny of money throughout the years in yellow cabs is because i have tons of experience and I adapt and change my routine when necessary. When I started 10 years ago it was sweet with no traffic, no bike lanes, no bus lanes and no uber lol

Red likes this.
  10. The_One

The_One

That should be the standard fare. Surges like those are few and far in between.

Red likes this.
  11. Red

Red

Driving:
    UberX
    Absolutely right. And surge is what's slowing down Uber's expansion into corporate market (thanks God) - accountants hate inflatable pricing.
    That's why I was wondering if they'll bring the regular price up - to lessen surges and make fares more predictable.
    The whole point of surge is to lure drivers into the area though so they will still need at least a minimal (1.5 or so) during the rush hours.

12. Red

Red

Driving:
    UberX
    I remember back in late 90's coming to JFK at 5am, leaving with a fare to the city around 7 and hitting no traffic at all.
    Good old days. Someone told me that all that suffocation of streets and avenues with bus and bike lanes is partially done in pursuit of making driving a car an absolute misery so more people would use mass transit.
    So actually we, as professional drivers, are being scapegoats of city planning. It's only about a 100 000 of us, mostly mute. So they don't care.
    That traffic knife in our backs is being thrown from City Hall with a cold precision.

notacabdriver, bezi_NY and The_One like this.
  13. Lenny_yellow_cab

Lenny_yellow_cab

Driving:
    UberX
    I completely agree

When u start reducing lanes thats when u know its intentional.