What's Uber doing with Melbourne Drivers?

Solarman

A good friend of mine has been contemplating driving for Uber for a while now. He has all the accreditation and is ready to go. Uber is now offering him $600.00 to join and drive.

Now this is an offer directly from Uber NOT via myself or any other Uber driver recommendation.

So the question is as above. What's Uber doing with Melbourne drivers to be so desperate in offering $600.00 for someone to start up with them? Where have all the drivers gone?

Homebrand Taxi

Desperation? Burning yet more money in a desperate effort to keep their "products" (that thing we do with cars and generally good humour) as cheap as possible because they still stupidly cling to those scribblings in the margins of their business plan that say there is no difference between an Uber ride and a Mars bar? (Drop the price of your Mars bars and you'll sell more. Drop the price of your Uber ride and people will use it more.) After pitsing off the ATO so much and having the ATO bear come down hard on you, drivers fled? See a common cause of Uber's woes here??

L5S

Really what uber should do is allow overseas licence to drive UBER but problem is govt wont allow overseas licence to get DA makes it hard for many new driver to start working here!! Also if overseas licence can do uberx then working holiday visa (417) can do uber here too so no shortage

yogi bear

75 cents per paid km is not really economic to both run a car and make a living out of the change

Ubers competition , for the workers, the taxi industry, actually pay their drivers a clear 90 cents per paid km

So really it's a no brainer who to go work for.

I mean seriously, 90 cents per km to drive some one else's car or what? 25 cents, after all vehicle expenses, to drive your own...

I mean really, what kinda sucker actually even contemplates driving base rates, no offence or nothin, but they're taking the piss they are..

I'd defo take the $600 welcome package though

Really what uber should do is allow overseas licence to drive UBER but problem is govt wont allow overseas licence to get DA makes it hard for many new driver to start working here!! Also if overseas licence can do uberx then working holiday visa (417) can do uber here too so no shortage

Two tiered society, whay this country was built on, re blackbirding an all, and if the labour force complains, or goes on strike, uber can have them deported for breaching the terms of their 417 visa.
IMHO If people wanna get about town they should eitherpay first world wages or catch a bus..

Bobo33

A good friend of mine has been contemplating driving for Uber for a while now. He has all the accreditation and is ready to go. Uber is now offering him $600.00 to join and drive.

Now this is an offer directly from Uber NOT via myself or any other Uber driver recommendation.

So the question is as above. What's Uber doing with Melbourne drivers to be so desperate in offering $600.00 for someone to start up with them? Where have all the drivers gone?
Dont think uber is desperate mate, they are just doing simple marketing to get more and more drivers (more money). 600 dollars is nothing comparing to what the company does in a day...

BreadandWater

75 cents per paid km is not really economic to both run a car and make a living out of the change

Ubers competition , for the workers, the taxi industry, actually pay their drivers a clear 90 cents per paid km

So really it's a no brainer who to go work for.

I mean seriously, 90 cents per km to drive some one else's car or what? 25 cents, after all vehicle expenses, to drive your own...

I mean really, what kinda sucker actually even contemplates driving base rates, no offence or nothin, but they're taking the piss they are..

I'd defo take the $600 welcome package though

Two tiered society, whay this country was built on, re blackbirding an all, and if the labour force complains, or goes on strike, uber can have them deported for breaching the terms of their 417 visa.
IMHO If people wanna get about town they should eitherpay first world wages or catch a bus..

You are FOS mate!
And I mean REALLY FOS!!!!
You are so FOS I don't actually know where to begin.
First, of all no driver is paid 75c per km, there's the 32c per minute too, your payout is ALWAYS more than $1 per km so that's a massive FAIL right there.
Second, crap clueless drivers always snag some surge once in a while so let's say it's 30% more with surge, smarter drivers make 60%-70% extra in surge and then the top 1% like me make 250%-300% more but let's just go with the 99% for a minute.
So even after you take out fuel and car depreciation in actual fact a smart uber driver makes more than a taxi driver, maybe just slightly more BUT BUT BUT more nonetheless...
You pick your own hours and your own schedule, that's the game changer! If you have had enough at any stage during your shift you go home there's no stress and no obligation.
So what you say is simply 100% wrong!!!
Nothing s***s me more than people spreading misinformation and telling blatant lies on this forum. You have to call people out when they are just simply wrong and you sir are just simply wrong!!!

yogi bear

You are FOS mate!
And I mean REALLY FOS!!!!
You are so FOS I don't actually know where to begin.
First, of all no driver is paid 75c per km, there's the 32c per minute too, your payout is ALWAYS more than $1 per km so that's a massive FAIL right there.!

Ummm no,
75% of 32 cents per minute is 24 cents per minute.
If your average speed is above 60kmh, say on a job to or from tulla, then it would still work out at less than $1.00 a km.
Think about it.
(I know this might be difficult for you but give it a try)