What's the UberXL Demand Like on the Shore?

Undermensch

Hi All,

What's the UberXL demand like on the NJ Shore?

I've only driven XL one night, back in March or so. I think I got 1 XL request and 2 X requests that had 5+ riders that I was able to upgrade to XL pricing.

I've been debating picking up a 2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L for $14k or so so I can do XL. Gas would cost a little more than double what it costs in my Prius, so I'd be up into the 20-25 cents/mile cost range with added insurance costs (not getting rid of the Prius) and depreciation.

I just can't figure out if there is enough demand to justify heading out of the house in the XL car on any given night. If I'm only going to use it on Friday/Saturday and if less than 30% of the rides are XL then it would end up being a losing proposition. If more than 30% of rides are XL then it would be worth it.

Another possibility is that when I get dropped into the 85 cent zone in an XL vehicle I can ignore X pings and take XL pings if they come in (realizing I'll get penalty boxed a lot as it's likely that I'd get hit with a few X pings before getting an XL). Currently I go offline in the 85 cent zone and dead head back. When I happen to catch an XL ride in that zone it'll increase my revenue per mile.

So... what's the verdict? Anyone got some pay numbers for XL on the Shore on the week of July 4-11? I did $1400 on X in 42 hours... anyone beat that in an XL? If you don't want to post it publicly I'd appreciate if you PM'd me so I can decide if this makes sense.

Note: if you're response is not factual or helpful (e.g. Uber Sucks, You Suck, Travis Sucks, Get a TLC License, etc), just don't bother.

Thanks!

Reactions: LGC

SurgeorSuckit

Hi All,

I've only driven XL one night, back in March or so. I think I got 1 XL request and 2 X requests that had 5+ riders that I was able to upgrade to XL pricing.

I've been debating picking up a 2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L for $14k or so so I can do XL. Gas would cost a little more than double what it costs in my Prius, so I'd be up into the 20-25 cents/mile cost range with added insurance costs (not getting rid of the Prius) and depreciation.

I just can't figure out if there is enough demand to justify heading out of the house in the XL car on any given night. If I'm only going to use it on Friday/Saturday and if less than 30% of the rides are XL then it would end up being a losing proposition. If more than 30% of rides are XL then it would be worth it.

Another possibility is that when I get dropped into the 85 cent zone in an XL vehicle I can ignore X pings and take XL pings if they come in (realizing I'll get penalty boxed a lot as it's likely that I'd get hit with a few X pings before getting an XL). Currently I go offline in the 85 cent zone and dead head back. When I happen to catch an XL ride in that zone it'll increase my revenue per mile.

So... what's the verdict? Anyone got some pay numbers for XL on the Shore on the week of July 4-11? I did $1400 on X in 42 hours... anyone beat that in an XL? If you don't want to post it publicly I'd appreciate if you PM'd me so I can decide if this makes sense.

Note: if you're response is not factual or helpful (e.g. Uber Sucks, You Suck, Travis Sucks, Get a TLC License, etc), just don't bother.

Thanks!
I don't think you suck...

PorkRollUberAndCheese

I DMed you, but:

Uber has been known for making illogical rate cuts and other bad decisions.

I would be hesitant to invest any additional money into an uber business outside of maintenance and upkeep until the New Jersey regulations are settled.

Gause22SHU

XL is good for the bar hours but unfortunately that's where the legal issues come into play as you're well aware with some "bully" cops.

My thought process is a mini van sticks out a lot more and with such a grey area with uber in each town, it's really not worth it

jmillj

As far as "the numbers" go based on calls, I would roughly estimate that I get one in 20 XL calls outside of the shore during a 6 or 7am to 3pm shift on weekdays. This shifts substantially, to nearly 30% of calls, at the Shore for a 9pm - 2:30/3am shift.

ED 117

I drive only shore rates xl on weekends, last Saturday I was surprised people ordered uber x and there were 5 riders , off course I let them in and then request the upgrade to XL , happen 6 times to me las Saturday only, if you lucky and get n XL request with some surge at the shores , that ride can pay for the whole night.

PoolHall

I drive only shore rates xl on weekends, last Saturday I was surprised people ordered uber x and there were 5 riders , off course I let them in and then request the upgrade to XL , happen 6 times to me las Saturday only, if you lucky and get n XL request with some surge at the shores , that ride can pay for the whole night.
How do you upgrade to XL when a party of 5 or more requested UberX? Is it an easy transaction? Do you tell them the upgrade? This has happened to me many times. I want to be able to charge them properly.

ericc

How do you upgrade to XL when a party of 5 or more requested UberX? Is it an easy transaction? Do you tell them the upgrade? This has happened to me many times. I want to be able to charge them properly.
Happened to few times, after end the trip, select the trip you with more than 4 passengers, then click on Help>Fare Review>Fare adjustment:more than 4 riders, then you will hear from Uber saying adjusted you fare to XL

PoolHall

Happened to few times, after end the trip, select the trip you with more than 4 passengers, then click on Help>Fare Review>Fare adjustment:more than 4 riders, then you will hear from Uber saying adjusted you fare to XL
Thank you very much!

ED 117

Ericc have answered how to upgrade the ride to XL , uber will upgrade the fare only if you are driving an XL and the rider request an X , if you are X and allow 5 people in the car no way you will get an XL rate upgrade, don't ever take more than 4 riders in the car if you are uber x , let them pay for an XL, if you are an XL and they order an X an more than 4 riders don't argue with them let them in and as soon you finish the ride you request the upgrade, you have up to 48 hrs to do it.

ericc

i'm driving XL, quite of few times that more than 6 pax for the ride, i refused, what will you XL drivers do? refuse or let them get in?

Undermensch

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I DMed you, but:

Uber has been known for making illogical rate cuts and other bad decisions.

I would be hesitant to invest any additional money into an uber business outside of maintenance and upkeep until the New Jersey regulations are settled.
One advantage I have is that I've got a big family (we don't all fit in the Prius) and we only have one vehicle that we can all fit in now. So adding another minivan would give us a good backup and/or divide and conquer option.

Undermensch

i'm driving XL, quite of few times that more than 6 pax for the ride, i refused, what will you XL drivers do? refuse or let them get in?
When I did a few rides one night I had the jump seat in the Odyssey. They had 7 and I was able to take everyone in a seatbelt. Glad I had that extra seat.

Undermensch

XL is good for the bar hours but unfortunately that's where the legal issues come into play as you're well aware with some "bully" cops.

My thought process is a mini van sticks out a lot more and with such a grey area with uber in each town, it's really not worth it
Interesting. I think one of the things that helps me is I have Thule roof bars on the car. Seems to throw people off. They think it's a parent doing a pickup. God I must look old.

PorkRollUberAndCheese

I refuse and tell them to order two X's, which is essentially the same price as an XL. It's not worth overloading, especially on the shore.

JMW1072

Hi All,

Thanks!
What section of the Shore? I'm more in the Sandy Hook to Sea Girt shore area & I get XL calls, but I have to be honest, I really try hard to stay out of Belmar. The rides aren't worth it to me. Have 8 $5-$7 rides or do my normal thing & get airport rides & people going to Asbury for dinner. I know short rides are about $10 on XL, but the drunks aren't worth it to me. One Friday night I drove in circles in Belmar & only had 2 XL rides & made about $65. Can make more on longer rides even at the X price. I had a Middletown to Asbury XL ride the other day $60. Totally worth it for the 1 ride. Just my 2 cents.

JMW1072

Hi All,

Thanks!
& I always go offline in the 85 cent zone, or at the very least set the destination back to my house. I've gotten 3-4 trips back this way & it has worked out for me. I average about $400 a week part time too. I'm still figuring out my best strategies though.

I did not work on July 4th weekend, but my friend who Ubers did $725 for the 3 days weekend working X at the shore w/out even trying. Another friend (I have seen both of their earnings) made $2,200 on XL but worked from 4 pm - 3 am each day & was exhausted. It can be done. Hope this helps a bit.