• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

What's the best way to handle this? [Long Wait At Stop 1 In A MultiStop Trip]

ariel5466

Had a paxhole today that had zero respect for my time. I go to pick up Shantasia (Lyft) and she doesn't come out until there's 30 seconds left on the timer. When I start the ride I see there's a stop. Great 🙄 She's yammering away on her phone the whole time.
We get to Sheetz. She goes inside. I wait. 5 minutes later, I try to give her a call. No answer. I go to cancel and Lyft says I won't be paid for the ride at all. I back out, try calling her again. No answer. She's been in there for over 6 minutes. I'm pissed off and don't want her wasting another second of my time, so I cancel and leave. Fortunately it was short, but I didn't get paid for the leg of the ride I did do.
How should I have handled this? I didn't want to let her abuse any more of my time. I canceled instead of ending the ride because I didn't want her to be able to rate me. But it sucks I made absolutely nothing.

BigRedDriver

Had a paxhole today that had zero respect for my time. I go to pick up Shantasia (Lyft) and she doesn't come out until there's 30 seconds left on the timer. When I start the ride I see there's a stop. Great 🙄 She's yammering away on her phone the whole time.
We get to Sheetz. She goes inside. I wait. 5 minutes later, I try to give her a call. No answer. I go to cancel and Lyft says I won't be paid for the ride at all. I back out, try calling her again. No answer. She's been in there for over 6 minutes. I'm pissed off and don't want her wasting another second of my time, so I cancel and leave. Fortunately it was short, but I didn't get paid for the leg of the ride I did do.
How should I have handled this? I didn't want to let her abuse any more of my time. I canceled instead of ending the ride because I didn't want her to be able to rate me. But it sucks I made absolutely nothing.
Missed out on $3. I’d have, and have done the same.

UberXking

If you're receiving tips you're doing a good job. Your rating is adjusted by the one controlling your rating. Sad but true.
You are not getting paid for waiting. Why would you when you drove to pick up for free. 10 6 minute trips to get a pax is 1 free hour. I'm not including loading, waiting or time to get back from wherever the pax has led you.
If the pax is considerate they will be out front easy to find. If not it's cost prohibitive to wait. Cancel or go broke.

JohnnyBravo836

I don't know about Lyft, but the official Uber policy is that they get 3 minutes at a stop. I would warn them that the policy is 3 minutes, and that demand is busy, and I will have to leave if they are not out on time. Make sure they take all their stuff with them when they're getting out. If they get pissy about it or try to leave stuff there to prevent you from leaving, end the trip immediately at the stop. If you cancel you don't get paid, but if you end a trip early, i.e., before the specified "final destination", you should still get paid. Of course, they will 1* you but it doesn't matter. If you have to end the trip prematurely in this way, call Uber immediately and get your complaint in about the riders before they call about you. Feel free to exaggerate how obnoxious and vulgar their language was when they caused trouble. :wink: This won't eliminate the 1*, but if they call and lie about you being drunk or something, it may have some preemptive strike value. I have left on people who stayed too long on a stop, and got 1 starred for it, even though I complained immediately to Uber about the riders staying well over the 3 minute limit: Uber doesn't care and won't delete the 1*, or at least didn't for me.

Of course, an alternative approach which has much to recommend it is to just not give a sh!t about what the paxes do or say, and whether you get terminated by Uber; easy come, easy go. :wink:

tmart

I didn't want her to be able to rate me. But I probably should have just ate the 1*, especially since I'm a 5.0 on Lyft. I won't make that mistake again.
I would have just cancelled too if it was short. If Passengers want to go shopping we should have a button in app that confirms we are waiting and then we re-engage when they return to the vehicle. This waiting rate should be $0.25 a minute that goes to the driver. Nobody wastes a cab drivers time (they charge 45ish cents per minute).

mbd

Cancel... probably a 5 dollar trip... not worth mental torture gymnastics... instead enjoy the fact you canceled her... concentrate on the cancel part and 😆 laugh ... ignore money in this instance.
When I am having a bad day, usually I try to laugh and look upstairs and shake head.It is a give up laugh.

KK2929

----------
Happened to me a couple of times. Now I tell them I only wait 5 minutes - make certain they leave nothing in the car -- if not back in 5 min, I cancel the ride. If L/U will not allow me to cancel, I start trip ( like pax is in the car ) and then cancel. So you do not get paid for any of the trip - such is life. Two stop trips are few, thank goodness. Don't sit and wait for them nor call - you are not their personal limo service. Give them a one * if you have the opportunity.