What's the alleged rapist name? Afandi?

Flashback121

Yup just saw some chick on my fb feed saying how she will never take Uber or lyft.
Some people need some common sense and make sure they get in the right car. Also some of these chicks drink themselves into a coma every weekend with out any sense of responsibility.

Prius13

Yup just saw some chick on my fb feed saying how she will never take Uber or lyft.
Some people need some common sense and make sure they get in the right car. Also some of these chicks drink themselves into a comma every weekend with out any sense of responsibility.
Hello.. Check the car and driver name to make sure pax has the right driver... People are either too dumb or wasted to guard against fake Uber drivers.

WestBurbsMac

Musaab S. Afandi

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-uber-rapes-chicago-skokie-20170927-story.html

Ad nauseam

Not that there's a look or type that makes sexual violence any less horrid. Nor do I wish to make light or fun of this in any way. Just saying, I'd hate to be raped by that guy. AND WHERE DID HE LEARN HIS M.O.? Seems to me not easy to control or restrain backseat passenger.

Mapnik

Hello.. Check the car and driver name to make sure pax has the right driver... People are either too dumb or wasted to guard against fake Uber drivers.
At least half the time they don't know my name. Sometimes the little woman will say, "who are you looking for?" as in "what's MY name?" When they do that, I shoot back, "You tell me MY name. I need to know YOU are the correct rider." It's called "two-way verification" and you say the other parties name so you both know it's the right match.

I gave a short lecture to one gal, told her "drivers get killed doing this" and she played the whole, "women are paranoid" card, to which I replied, "the guy in Evanston got killed by a 16 year old girl. She hacked him up with a machete." Now that's what the risk is here. A guy trying to make a living is a lot more invested than the pax, has way more to lose by doing anything out-of-order.

I had a Jeremy get in the car once at Second City, confirmed his name, he didn't care about my name (which I announced), and 3 blocks down the ride vanished, because it was the wrong Jeremy. I put him on the curb ASAP. Sorry, bud.

I've seen odd-looking Ubers lurking around my Pax. One guy had a really old-school logo and tried to pick up my pax at Hubbard/Franklin summer 2016 - my spidey-sense was activated there, but what can you do? It wouldn't be hard to do what Alfandi did; you can often spot the riders because they are the one standing AT the curb looking at the phone.

If not for the uni-brow, he looks like any other fat white guy. Every other Uber driver looks like this guy. Hey, Ad nauseum, is this "scruffy white guy"? When you brought that up, this is exactly the type I pictured. Lo and behold, his name is Mu-facking-saab

It's funny how uber gets a bad rep for this, and many people think this is somehow uber's fault.
If he pretended to be an astronaut, would NASA be in trouble?
You are spot-on, but think about the implications. Before you know it - they are going to want the cars "clearly marked", as in..... wait for it.... a taxi-cab.

Some people need some common sense and make sure they get in the right car. Also some of these chicks drink themselves into a coma every weekend with out any sense of responsibility.
Make sure people don't lose sight of the reported fact the River North incident in December 16 happened in a taxi!!!!

Now, that's a can of worms, because I just looked up his name in the chauffeurs list, and no "afandi" appears.... so how did he get a taxi, folks?

As for the gal on FB - she will be back in 2 weeks, guaranteed. 2 weeks, because you can't beat the price and these pax have no money to begin with.

Last edited:

lakersfan1

FORGET NAMES!!!! They ALL get Licence Plate Numbers!!!!! You can't FAKE that! That is ALL the info they should get from now-on, so they are ALL trained like stupid little bassett hounds to find the right car.

I always verify the DESTINATION, not the name. The chances of picking up a "Jack" at an apartment building with 1,000 units is likely. The chances of picking up someone at 635WIrvingPark at 9:37AM and taking them to 200ERandolph? Not as much, I hope.

Mapnik

I always verify the DESTINATION, not the name. The chances of picking up a "Jack" at an apartment building with 1,000 units is likely. The chances of picking up someone at 635WIrvingPark at 9:37AM and taking them to 200ERandolph? Not as much, I hope.
That's an interesting tack, considering the fact that you don't know the destination until you start the trip, and you don't start the trip until you confirm the rider's name...

In the case I described above - I announced my name, started the trip, and verified the destination (or attempted to anyway) - he wasn't even listening, so there you go. Didn't know my name, wasn't listening to the destination. Am I going to stop the car and demand that he confirm both items... no, you just roll. Is this guy going to know my plate number? rhetorical question. Not so foolproof.

Regardless - this Afandi thing is on the Pax for getting into a car with a stranger, and has nothing to do with Uber or the drivers, period.

Last edited:

TreKronor

When I'm riding, I always check the license plate before I get in any car. There was one time a guy called, told me he was there. I looked around and saw him talking to me on the phone right there; he was not in the car which Uber app said he was in. I got in and was a little nervous but thought, "hey, what are the chances???"

I won't do it again. I don't know why I did it that time, but I won't do it again. Always check the plate.

Tom Harding

At least half the time they don't know my name. Sometimes the little woman will say, "who are you looking for?" as in "what's MY name?" When they do that, I shoot back, "You tell me MY name. I need to know YOU are the correct rider." It's called "two-way verification" and you say the other parties name so you both know it's the right match.

I gave a short lecture to one gal, told her "drivers get killed doing this" and she played the whole, "women are paranoid" card, to which I replied, "the guy in Evanston got killed by a 16 year old girl. She hacked him up with a machete." Now that's what the risk is here. A guy trying to make a living is a lot more invested than the pax, has way more to lose by doing anything out-of-order.

I had a Jeremy get in the car once at Second City, confirmed his name, he didn't care about my name (which I announced), and 3 blocks down the ride vanished, because it was the wrong Jeremy. I put him on the curb ASAP. Sorry, bud.

I've seen odd-looking Ubers lurking around my Pax. One guy had a really old-school logo and tried to pick up my pax at Hubbard/Franklin summer 2016 - my spidey-sense was activated there, but what can you do? It wouldn't be hard to do what Alfandi did; you can often spot the riders because they are the one standing AT the curb looking at the phone.

If not for the uni-brow, he looks like any other fat white guy. Every other Uber driver looks like this guy. Hey, Ad nauseum, is this "scruffy white guy"? When you brought that up, this is exactly the type I pictured. Lo and behold, his name is Mu-facking-saab

You are spot-on, but think about the implications. Before you know it - they are going to want the cars "clearly marked", as in..... wait for it.... a taxi-cab.

Make sure people don't lose sight of the reported fact the River North incident in December 16 happened in a taxi!!!!

Now, that's a can of worms, because I just looked up his name in the chauffeurs list, and no "afandi" appears.... so how did he get a taxi, folks?

As for the gal on FB - she will be back in 2 weeks, guaranteed. 2 weeks, because you can't beat the price and these pax have no money to begin with.
Many pax I pickup check the license plate to see if it matches the one in the app. That's common sense. I did have a pickup where I got the wrong "Dan". My rider was Dan, and his driver was Tom. I got the wrong Dan or he got the wrong Tom. They called each other. They were at the same kid's birthday party. Because the distance to each other home was about the same, they just changed the destination.

I refused a Lyft at the San Diego airport because the vehicle didn't match. And reported it.
always check the license plate and make sure the car looks exactly like the picture

lakersfan1

That's an interesting tack, considering the fact that you don't know the destination until you start the trip, and you don't start the trip until you confirm the rider's name...

In the case I described above - I announced my name, started the trip, and verified the destination (or attempted to anyway) - he wasn't even listening, so there you go. Didn't know my name, wasn't listening to the destination. Am I going to stop the car and demand that he confirm both items... no, you just roll. Is this guy going to know my plate number? rhetorical question. Not so foolproof.

Regardless - this Afandi thing is on the Pax for getting into a car with a stranger, and has nothing to do with Uber or the drivers, period.
Confirming the rider's name isn't exactly foolproof when in Uber's own Standard Operating Procedure, they allow people to order rides for other people. I can be looking for Felicia, and pick up a Gunther, and have it be a legit ride according to Uber.

TreKronor

Funny story, actually (inappropriate place for it???). Anyways...
Back a few years ago, before Uber was so popular and before the ID tags were required in Chicago I had a buddy who was meeting up with me for some drinks. He called an Uber, was told his driver was driving a black Camry, and that it had arrived.

So he goes out to the street, finds the black Camry, jumps in and says, "hey how's it going?"

The drive turns around and says, "what the FFF are you doing?!"

Turns out, there were two black Camry's parked within half a block...my friend chose poorly.

Tom Harding

Confirming the rider's name isn't exactly foolproof when in Uber's own Standard Operating Procedure, they allow people to order rides for other people. I can be looking for Felicia, and pick up a Gunther, and have it be a legit ride according to Uber.
Then the person ordering the Uber should inform the rider of the car's license plate number