1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

What's a "Fly" XL Car ?

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by mactube, Dec 6, 2016.

1. mactube

mactube Member

2. jp300h

jp300h Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I'd you want an affordable select/xl vehicle, get a used Buick Enclave.

3. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Saturn Outlook in barely-better Buick skin? Ughhh....no thx

Currently working on refitting an ex-gubmint 2009 Expedition SSV (trooper version) i got for $5k incl tax title and registration....

Shopping for a proper interior (lincoln navigator or expedition limited/king ranch), might post some info on how that goes later

4. Blackcar37

Blackcar37 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    A Mercedes has very high maintenance cost. Prius has the best gas mileage and low overhead. Lots of space too.

5. Jimmy Bernat

Jimmy Bernat Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Mercedes diesel are actually very low in maintenance for a German luxury suv.
    And a prius isn't a fly xl car it's A X

6. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Gas mileage dont mean squat with low base rate and what SHOULD be surge only driving : XL surge outpays a prius at ANY mpg...and XL base rate outpays Prius at ~6-7 mpg and up

Space, lol...no one cares about pax.

My select has NO space for much of anything, guess what pays better

7. UberChicago80

UberChicago80 Active Member

A have a combine that can sit 8. Thinking of busting that baby out on NYE

8. Jimmy Bernat

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I don't get how people can do this full time or heck even part time with a car that doesn't qualify for Select or XL , I was worried both of my cars were going to fall for select eligibility starting in 2017 but yesterday I actually drove a Uber Support guy to the Uber Greenlight location and talked to him about it and he basically told me since I have a good rating and the car is in good shape that he'd personally extended me out an extra year on both cars . Which was really cool . He basically told me that if someone comes in and there Select car just aged out and they have a good rating ,t he vehicle still is in great shape and the person isn't a jerk that they'll usually keep you on select for at least an additional year . However he did say that they almost never make exceptions to the age for new drivers

9. Shangsta

Shangsta Well-Known Member

X in my market is almost the same as select in other markets

Adieu likes this.
  10. Jimmy Bernat

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Yeah but cost of living is higher in Seattle then most other markets so it kinda cancels out .

Not to mention the higher vehicle requirements . Most Markets will except a 2001 in Seattle it's 2007 for UberX

11. Shangsta

Shangsta Well-Known Member

Not quite, Seattle is so centrally located you can live in the burbs for cheap and only commute 10 to 15 miles to Seattle.

And actually we are 2006 moving to 2007 and other places are 2001 moving to 2002. So its only a 5 year difference from other markets not six.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  12. scoobydoobydoo

scoobydoobydoo New Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    I drive a 2014 Ford Explorer which qualifies for XL. I have 90k miles and no maintenance issues. I average 20 - 23 mpg depending on how many hwy miles are in the mix

13. BingBang

BingBang New Member

I'd go with the explorer

14. Jimmy Bernat

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Which engine ? AWD or FWD?
    I love those Explorers , they qualify for Select in my market also (they also qualify for Black/SUV)

15. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    exPLORER on black/suv???? For reals????

LyftLA blew me off on my initial try to get my exPEDITION on premier...might try again tho, theyre kinda daft after all

16. Jimmy Bernat

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Right? But I get it every market allows a Tahoe or Yukon on black and they're nowhere near as nice as an Explorer and similarly sized

17. Uberliciousness

Uberliciousness New Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    I use a 30th anniversary Town and Country....plenty of room, 2 bluray screens, heated rear seats, moonroof, sirius, auto everything. ...great fuel economy....all around a great vehicle.

18. Jimmy Bernat

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Select? 2013 and newer here gets select

19. Michael - Cleveland

Michael - Cleveland Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Get over your mini-van phobia.
    Buy the least expensive 7 passenger vehicle you can find that will qualify for XL in your region.
    It's not like we get paid so much that we can afford to allow our personal taste in vehicles to dictate what we use to drive rideshare!
    A $10,000 7 pax SUV will not earn you one cent more than a $5,000 7 pax minivan.
    Use the $5,000 you save to salve your bruised ego.

Shangsta likes this.
  20. Jimmy Bernat

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Or pick up a select / xl vehicle. Depending on market you can find something that qualifies for both for under $5,000
    2007+ Explorers, pilots, xc90 and expeditions all qualify for both (with leather) in a lot of markets. All these in the v6 trim will get close to 20mpg especially if u go 2wd and all are very reliable. (stay away from the xc90 with the v8)