1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

What's a "Fly" XL Car ?

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by mactube, Dec 6, 2016.

1. mactube

mactube Member

Since Select and Black is not making as much money anymore with the update of the app. XL might be a nice upgrade in a higher (paying) class.
    I just don't like to drive a Mini Van .. and an Escalate would be a little to expensive.

Whats a nice looking Car that qualifies for XL ?

No I Dont Have an Aux likes this.
  2. TWO2SEVEN

TWO2SEVEN Active Member

What's an Escalate?

3. Jimmy Bernat

Jimmy Bernat Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Used Mercedes GL320 will get 30mpg on the highway 22 in the city . Crazy reliable tanks and you can get them for pretty cheap ($12k ish) They will also qualify for select in every market

4. Frostybob

Frostybob New Member

I use a mazda CX9 however its thirsty and XL jobs are about one in ten

5. Driving and Driven

Driving and Driven Well-Known Member

An Escalade with hydraulics.

anteetr, Darkhawk, TheFarmer and 8 others like this.

6. Tired of this

Tired of this Member

Navigator, Expedition, Tahoe, Sequoia should be all solid choices. I believe the Sequoia requires a timing belt change so keep that in mind.

The GL320 with Select mentioned above might be your best bet but they might be hard to find.

7. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    If you're gonna do XL and not want to go with a Minivan, I would definitely suggest you get something that'll quality for Select as well. Why limit yourself?

Tahoe and Suburbans are top choice, I haven't seen any GL320 that's as affordable as claimed above, but they do look like they'd make a great XL/Select vehicle.

8. Jimmy Bernat

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    There's a couple gl320 and r320 (the r320 is a little cheaper but looks like a mini van) 07 and 08 years with around 120k miles for around 12k heck there's a r320 for $10,500 here with 100k miles

You really don't need to worry about moles as much on diesels

I just like the 30mpg I'd love an X5 35d those will get the same but are pretty fast too but the 3rd row is impossible to find and its worthless plus the bimmer is more money and has a little more maintence then the benz

Both cars can be modified to get 35mpg that's crazy for a 6000 lbs suv

9. Donshonda

Donshonda Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    I drive a brand new Honda pilot. everyone loves it.... new leather, back up cameras, seats 8, awesome sound system. everyone loves it, and its cheaper than a lot of high end SUV's...

Drive2bFree likes this.
  10. mactube

mactube Member

Great Ideas here... a Mercedes GL 320 sounds nice. Do all of them have a 3rd row ? So to qualify for XL there have to be 7 seats incl. Driver correct ?
    Sorry for the Typo in Escalade ..
    So with a Mercedes GL 320 you would qualify for Uber X,XL,and select correct ?
    I was always wondering if you have to make up your mind on that day for which category you drive or if the pings are coming in for any category that your car qualifies for ? Can you choose the categories and block X and pool pings ?

11. Sharkb8

Sharkb8 Active Member

SIT STILL, don't do a thing until mid-January! That's when we'll know if Ubers going to slash the rates again. I love my Mini-Van.

EX_, Duber12 and grams777 like this.
  12. Jimmy Bernat

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    All GL Mercedes have a 3rd row. The 320 is the only one good for uber since it's has a the diesel engine that will last 300k miles plus. And get 30mpg

Every market is different on how they'll set up your profiles but most allow at least a profile that gets everything and then 2 different profiles for select only and xl only. I'd like to have a select/xl only profile and that would be all I'd do
    So you'll have to check with your market

13. occupant

occupant Active Member

If you want something newer look at the upper trim levels of the Dodge Journey. R/T and Crew and Limited. With the 3.6L engine they are smooth and strong. New ones are deeply discounted because a remodel is coming.

14. mactube

mactube Member

Wow Sharkb8Sharkb8 cut rates again ?? that that's sound good... yeah looks like with uber .. big long time investments are risky.. If I would have bought a select only car I would't have been f#@ked with the new update of the app. Sharkb8Sharkb8 How much would say you make hourly on average in your market ? I calculated 15 - 17.50 on average in LA And also .. do you drive around for Pings or are you posted up some where in a good location?
    @Jimmy Bernat yeah looks like the GL Benz is the best option as fare as economics and looks.
    @occupant I like the looks of most Doges and Chryslers , but have been traumatized by the experience of owning a Chrysler sebering which was in the shop once a month so I wont be able to ever buy a Doge or Chrysler again... especially not used.

15. Jimmy Bernat

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    the Benz R320 is even cheaper I just don't like the mini van look to it but it's the same Diesel engine, lighter car (so probably better MPG and Performance) so it's probably the better choice if it was just going to be for Uber but I personally would rather pay a little more for the R320 since I would love driving that car even without doing Uber .
    I'm buying a new car next month and my two cars I'm considering are

2008 Mercedes R320 I'd perfer the 2008 since it's the last year before they went to Bluetech where you need to add the AdBlue
    or
    2008-2011 BMW X5 35D same gas mileage as the R320 but much faster and IMO Better looking I'm also a huge BMW FanBoy third row is a joke but it's there . BMW will be better on Road the Mercedes Better Off Road (still not an off roading truck)

16. mactube

mactube Member

I really would love to find out some Numbers in regards to earnings .. to compare to the X earnings ...

17. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Navigator seems suspect.

ALL the ones I've seen were complete beaters - despite Escalade and Expedition of same year and mIles looking young spry and solid

I'd share some other conclusions but don't wanna create competition for the best options in my area

Well I'll give you one : 2004-2005 grand caravan. Dirt cheap.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  18. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Ad Blue is also known as Supertech DEF / $7.88 for 2.5gals

Walmart makes it painless

19. Jimmy Bernat

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Yeah I'm aware of that but both the gl an X5 have issues with the system failing and the car not running. I'm sure there is a way to bypass the system but to the normal car buyer it's an added expense and extra thing to think about

20. Pearlina

Pearlina Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    I drive Toyota Highlander Limited edition and it's great vehicle but new costs a lot of $$ - I have a 2008