What would you do?

NOLA-Uber

So, I get an XL ping to the Le Meridien on Poydras this morning. I drive into their covered driveway and stop. Nobody in sight. I call the rider to let them know I'm at the main entrance waiting for them. The female who answers tells me they are going to be down in 5 minutes.

At this point, what would you guys do?

AgentX

So, I get an XL ping to the Le Meridien on Poydras this morning. I drive into their covered driveway and stop. Nobody in sight. I call the rider to let them know I'm at the main entrance waiting for them. The female who answers tells me they are going to be down in 5 minutes.

At this point, what would you guys do?
I'd wait "5 min" if not there in 5 I'd cancel and be on my way.

Nolagal71

I wouldn't wait. Five minutes might turn into 10 and there's no guarantee they're going to msy. Can't park there for long cuz you'll be blocking other cars that might need to drop off. They should have order the uber when they're ready to leave.

NOLA-Uber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wouldn't wait. Five minutes might turn into 10 and there's no guarantee they're going to msy. Can't park there for long cuz you'll be blocking other cars that might need to drop off. They should have order the uber when they're ready to leave.
Nolagal.....looks like we're thinking alike on this one. After she told me they would be down in 5 minutes I asked her where they were headed. She said the convention center. There was no way I was gonna wait for what definitely would've been more than 5 minutes for a minimum fare trip less than a mile away, so I canceled...."do not charge rider" and headed down Poydras.

potato_muncher

This, especially in that area. You could nab up another ride within that five minutes pretty easily.

bryan793

you all do know the 5 minute includes drive time... right! Once you get the ping the clock starts. If you arrive there in 2 minutes and then wait 3 you can cancel and get the rider no show fee!

I think...

If I am wrong please let me know but this is how I understood it!

geauxfish

The 5 minute pax no show timer starts when you arrive at the location. The 5 minute timer for the pax cancelling starts as soon as you accept the ping.

JJG47

This -

However for the 5 min pax no show timer starting at arrival, I usually swipe that Ive arrived a minute or 2 before I'm at the destination (also start my phone timers) so the PAX is notified (and hopefully gets a move on) and is there when I arrive. If not, then I just have to wait 3-4 min b4 canceling.

The 5 minute pax no show timer starts when you arrive at the location. The 5 minute timer for the pax cancelling starts as soon as you accept the ping.

NOLA-Uber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This -

However for the 5 min pax no show timer starting at arrival, I usually swipe that Ive arrived a minute or 2 before I'm at the destination (also start my phone timers) so the PAX is notified (and hopefully gets a move on) and is there when I arrive. If not, then I just have to wait 3-4 min b4 canceling.
We're talking about Uber in this thread, not Lyft.

JJG47

Nope was talking about the timer on my phone. Surely other Uber drivers use some sort of timer to correctly gauge the 5 min mark??? Or do yall go by chance?

Lyle

Nope was talking about the timer on my phone. Surely other Uber drivers use some sort of timer to correctly gauge the 5 min mark??? Or do yall go by chance?
Seems like some of the riders have a stopwatch. I've had cancellations as I was about a block away. The best one is where if you get stuck in traffic and you're 5 minutes past your ETA the rider can cancel you with no fee. Some areas have set the cancellation cut off for riders to 2 minutes after you arrive. I've been in situations in NOLA where I'm double parked and on one way streets so cannot wait for a rider to come out in 5 minutes. It is amazing to me the level of service these riders expect for .70 cents/mile. I got a bad report for cleanliness. at these rates I can't afford to have my car detailed weekly.