1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

What would you do?

Discussion in 'News' started by kinicky21, Feb 15, 2017.

1. kinicky21

kinicky21 Active Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    [​IMG]
    Officer Eric Michl sent a selfie and a text message to an Uber driver accused of extorting money from a woman who had left her purse in his car. (KCPQ)

SEATTLE – An Uber driver who was demanding money before returning a woman’s purse quickly changed his mind Sunday after a Seattle officer sent him a text and a selfie, police said.

The woman contacted officer Eric Michl on Capitol Hill around 2 a.m., saying she’d left her purse, wallet and ID in the Uber.

She was distraught because she was scheduled to fly home later that day, and worried she wouldn’t be able to without her identification, according to KCPQ. She said she had called the driver and offered to pay his fare if he brought her things back, but he refused and demanded more money.

Michl called the driver and left a voicemail. Then, he sent a text, telling the driver he could be arrested and his car could be impounded if he didn’t return the woman’s purse.

To prove he was a police officer, Michl also sent a selfie.

The driver quickly brought the woman’s purse back, saying he’d been busy taking other fares.

http://wgntv.com/2017/02/14/uber-dr...urse-after-officer-sends-him-text-and-selfie/

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2017
  2. MSUGrad9902

MSUGrad9902 Well-Known Member

Probably leave it in a box with her name on it at the airport? That's where she needed to be, isn't it?

Tazyboy28 likes this.
  3. touberornottouber

touberornottouber Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I would never have demanded money in the first place. If it weren't within 15 minutes of dropping off the passenger where I could easily go back I would have had that purse dropped off to the nearest police station in record time along with a photo taken and a message to Uber saying where she could get it.

It did say she was willing to pay the fare to have it delivered. I wonder if the driver wanted more due to a surge? I don't think the common public has any idea why drivers might not want to return items for base rates or even for free. To them they just think we are being jerks as they don't realize this is no longer lucrative for most and that at the wrong time something like this can cost us a lot of money.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  4. MSUGrad9902

If it's 2 am here it's bar closing time. That's the busiest time of the night for me. No, I'm not willing to drop what I'm doing to deliver your purse. It can wait until it slows down.

5. touberornottouber

Driving:
    UberX
    I think Uber should have a delivery fee. $10 + the normal fare to drop the item off from where the driver is. That will get immediate service. IF the customer does not want to pay then they get "non-priority service" where they either just pay a flat $10 charge (up to 10 miles) where the driver will deliver it to them within 24 hours or for free where the driver has 24 hours to deliver it to a police station convenient to the driver and the customer must make arrangements to pick it up themselves.

After all it isn't the driver's fault the customer left an item. The customer ought to be paying a small reasonable convenience charge. At the same time we should not be trying to take advantage of customers and say charge them $50 to go two miles to return their iPhone.

IUberGR, Drive2bFree, SCdave and 10 others like this.

6. simpsonsverytall

simpsonsverytall Well-Known Member

sure, request a trip from where I am --> to where you are (and would like the purse delivered).

Pay me to drive there, and that is fair to me. It may not be perfect, but I'd be happy with that.

7. Grahamcracker

Grahamcracker Well-Known Member

Yup, I totally agree. I wouldn't have demanded money and she could have pick it up at the police station when it was convenient for me to drop it off.

kcdrvr15, Scratchington and Manotas like this.
  8. Karen Stein

Karen Stein Well-Known Member

Sure, let's ignore millennia of discourse on this topic, by civilisations greatest minds, and try to reinvent the wheel.

The purse was never the driver's, and he knew that. It's HIS obligation to return it to the owner. Inconvenient? Too bad. He should have checked his car.

Instead, you want to hold it for ransom? Toss it an pretend you never saw it? If so, you are a dishonest creep and I hope Uber purges the ranks of your kind.

9. MSUGrad9902

There's a reasonableness standard in every transaction. Returning the purse immediately at 2 am during the busiest time of the night is unreasonable. Waiting until the morning or a more convenient time for the driver is reasonable.

Yesmassa, IUberGR, Dback2004 and 16 others like this.
  10. RaleighUber

RaleighUber Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Karen, thanks for representing Uber's position so well and consistently. It's so refreshing to hear someone parrot Uber's view on everything all the time. But sadly, returning items to a pax is NOT in the TOS.

In the world of friends, returning something to them is a favor. You do favors when you can, not when working normally. Uber drivers are WORKING at 2:00 AM. If you leave an item at a business, when the business is open (ie. convenient for them) OR wait till the person who found it has time to get it to them. If neither of those is acceptable to the person who lost something, they can PAY to make it happen faster. That often includes overnight shipping, courier service, or a REWARD.

11. kinicky21

kinicky21 Active Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    I was more shocked at the legal standpoint can a police officer really impound your car by not returning the purse right that minute?

12. Red Leader

Red Leader Well-Known Member

This is so patently wrong it's absurd.

ziliano, Ucf, NorthernBelle and 6 others like this.
  13. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    What purse?

Oh yea, I found it and you can request a trip for it to be returned... Select only though.

Still risky to do this, Pax can report that you forced them to request a trip to return the item. At minimum they'll take the money back, at worse they could deactivate you for requiring cash reimbursement to return an item.

Why is it his obligation to return it to the owner? It's his obligation to not keep items that are not his, local police is perfectly acceptable. It's the person carelessly left a purse, it's their responsibility to retrieve the item at their cost. Why should a driver have to pay from his own funds to return it?

I have a lost in found bin, it looks like this:

[​IMG]

It's my job to get the pax from point a to point b. It is not my job to keep track of their belongings, unless they put it in my trunk and I drove off forgetting it was in there. In that case, that is my fault. I've done that once but I was just 2 blocks away when the pax realized it and called me. I turned around and returned it immediately.

Other than that, the pax is responsible for lost items not the driver.

If the pax tipped, I'll be more inclined to return it sooner rather than later.

I do check my back seat, but sometimes dark items can be missed in my black on black interior. I caught a cell phone in the back a few weeks ago, but I was only a few blocks away and the guy had tipped me a $10, so I took the time to go back and knock on his door to return it.

If it's something important, I'll drop it off at the nearest police station and they can get it themselves, otherwise, it gets cleaned out of the vehicle like any other trash left behind by pax.

14. RaleighUber

RaleighUber Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Uber help on this is here: https://help.uber.com/h/53539bde-f6f4-4909-85de-fa0b99f82be0

Please note what it says to a rider who lost something on how to contact the driver:

"If your driver picks up and confirms that your item has been found, coordinate a mutually convenient time and place to meet for its return to you. [editorial...you are not working for them at this time]
    If your driver doesn’t pick up, leave a detailed voicemail describing your item and the best way to contact you. [editorial: notice your obligation is to respond to the message, nothing more]
    Please be considerate that your driver’s personal schedule will be affected by taking time out to return your item to you. [editorial: "return" does not mean you must deliver said item to any place demanded. It simply means if you have it you will give it back.]
    Drivers are independent contractors. Neither Uber nor drivers are responsible for the items left in a vehicle after a trip ends. We’re here to help, but cannot guarantee that a driver has your item or can immediately deliver it to you." [Editorial: Uber offers NO guarantee nor any immediacy to their desire to get their item]

How would I handle it? Here is my standard MO.

1. Never respond to a text or call about a lost item while you are working. Return texts and calls only after you have finished work. This prevents demands you stop work.
    2. When convenient, offer to meet to return the item. Set up to meet in a public place near you. Never offer to take it to them.
    3. If they are desperate or short on time, offer to drop it off immediately somewhere NEAR you so they can safely pick it up (police station, hotel, etc). Again, do not offer to deliver the item.
    4. If all the above don't suit the person, simply say, I'm sorry. I can't help you. I will take it to the police at X location, you can pick it up there at your convenience. Some people may offer to pay you to return the item to them. If that offer is acceptable to you, do it. If not, tell them which police station will have the item.
    5. If they make threats or sound abusive, or demanding, discontinue contact, contact uber about an abusive passenger and drop the item at a convenient police station. Text person that you left item with police and they can make arrangements to pick it up there.

That said, a drunk guy once left a car seat in my vehicle I knew he would need in the morning. I realized it before he did, and when I was near his house later that night, I dropped it off on his porch and texted him that I did so. It was convenient and simple. He was very happy.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  15. MSUGrad9902

No, they cannot.

16. steveK2016

Driving:
    UberSELECT
  17. MSUGrad9902

I'm not sure we got the whole story either.

Dback2004 likes this.
  18. Red Leader

Red Leader Well-Known Member

Some good ideas here. But consider this.....

If you have driven home, some 50 miles away, do you really think it is reasonable to force someone to drive a 100 mile round trip for $50 bucks? What if I had gone to lake county to take care of a problem? Now I'm nearly 150 miles from SF. Consider the time I lose on my project or work. Are they ready to pay for that? Let's see what I would charge them for this venture....

2 bucks a mile at 300 miles round trip....$600.00. Maybe we should charge taxi rates? What it's going to cost me to not do this job? Probably another $300.00 bucks or better. So....$900.00. And that's being nice. Were I to charge what I normally charge for my personal time, it would easily be triple that.

I'm not doing it. They can take an Uber to me, or to the police dept, to retrieve their property. Personally I wouldn't knowingly drive out of the city with someone's property.

Que the people that will blame the driver for not having found the item when the passenger got out. Should you check? Yes. is it the drivers problem that she somehow forgot her purse? Nope. If she could miss it, so can he. Remember, it's something she lugs around everywhere she goes and has almost everything she needs. Everyday, all day. Same with a cell phone.

This is the reason Uber should have a drop box for lost items where ever they have a drivers office.

Oh..and he is an ass for trying to extort money out of her.

19. touberornottouber

Driving:
    UberX
    It's not the driver's fault the customer left the purse though.

If I go to a movie theater and a leave my wallet in the seat, I can't call them up an hour later, demand that they shut down the theater, force all customers to leave, search every seat for my wallet, and then if found drive it to me FREE in the middle of the night.

There has to be a middle ground here and there needs to be acknowledgment that this is NOT the driver's fault. Sure, maybe the driver should have checked but making this all our fault for this $5 an hour job is utterly ridiculous. I'm not saying it is right for people to toss out phones or to keep them. I'm saying that the solutions need tobe reasonable for all parties, including the driver. We're not slaves or lackeys. We're not whipping boys (and girls) to be blamed for every thing the customer does. At least I know that is not what I signed up for anyway.

I treat people as I would want to be treated but I'll be damned if I am going to have some entitled jerk telling me "I should have checked for their wallet harder" when they were the ones who left it in the first place.

20. steveK2016

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    What I would have done is respond to the officer with this text:

"Thank you Officer McDuffus for your concern in this matter. I am currently working and 2am is the busiest time for Uber drivers. Once I am done preventing drunks from driving home, I will find the closest police precinct and leave the purse there. I can only hope that that precinct is your precinct, because if it is, I'll gladly leave a note with the purse that I am returning it on behalf of Officer McDuffus so when you return to end your day of earning a living, you can be fully responsible for the purse and write up a nice report detailing it's safe return to the owner."