What will happen when.....

sd1303

What will happen when a driverless car has an apartment complex pickup? How does it punch the code in? Hahaha. There are so many situations that arise during a pickup that a driverless car won’t be able to navigate. Any thoughts out there??
Same concept, but I just had a pickup at a hotel next to a freeway.

The pin (and Lyft routing) showed the pax on the side of the freeway. Guess that pax needs to hoof it over to the highway (or learn how to manually drop a pin).

FLKeys

PAX will be sent a message I am here with a pin showing location and be forced to walk to location. Uber will have the advantage in this situation because they will know the current ride demand. They could wait out the 5 minutes, shuffle and head to the next call or they could wait beyond the 5 minutes knowing there is no ride request near by for them. Either way at that point I am sure they will start charging higher rates for wait time.

Wildgoose

What will happen when a driverless car has an apartment complex pickup? How does it punch the code in? Hahaha. There are so many situations that arise during a pickup that a driverless car won’t be able to navigate. Any thoughts out there??
Those cars could not run in big city where needing to pick up riders at corners of traffic lights or need to pick up at no available car parking spots. They are going to get tons of tickets or they can even get arrested or riders will get their refunds.
And, who would you think would dare to ride in a driverless car? I will never.
Event (1) Supposed, a rider was in the ca. He did not get off at his drop off location but he pretented that he got drop off. He could rob from another riders. That car would be smart enough to prevent that?
Event (2) Rider was in the car on freeway, he canceled the trip nearby exit he want to get off. Where this car keep going? Would it stop at the freeway for dropping OFF?
It is just a dream but can not be feasible.

Illini

Let's see....
Uber and Lyft are losing money.
Drivers are upset with their earnings.
Passengers don't like the high fares.

Those driverless vehicles better get her quick before the current business model collapses.

W00dbutcher

Ever been to Disneyland or Disney World? When your ride those trams around the park you ever notice s how they're very hard and uncomfortable cuz everything is built to be clean with minimal effort ? That's what these cars are going to have to be to sustain any kind of sanitary level. People are animals and they live like animals and they leave their s*** everywhere.

Not to mention the continuous monitoring of the vehicles throughout the day and night.

FLKeys

I would imagine the roll out of driver less cars will be along the Uber Express Pool lines where pax get picked up and dropped off at designated areas close by and have to walk the remaining distance.

SuzeCB

I would imagine the roll out of driver less cars will be along the Uber Express Pool lines where pax get picked up and dropped off at designated areas close by and have to walk the remaining distance.
Nope. Too risky for liability if someone is assaulted, etc.

I predict the autonomous cars will be for executive accounts. The folks that want a quiet ride anyway because they want to work while in the car on their way to meetings, airports, hotels, etc. Or as shuttles between airports and nearby hotels. Absolute pickup and drop off points.

Not for the college or bar crowd.

FLKeys

Nope. Too risky for liability if someone is assaulted, etc.

I predict the autonomous cars will be for executive accounts. The folks that want a quiet ride anyway because they want to work while in the car on their way to meetings, airports, hotels, etc. Or as shuttles between airports and nearby hotels. Absolute pickup and drop off points.

Not for the college or bar crowd.
How is it any different with us stops at designated areas? Would be the same risk as a bus PAX.

DriverMark

Ever been to Disneyland or Disney World? When your ride those trams around the park you ever notice s how they're very hard and uncomfortable cuz everything is built to be clean with minimal effort ? That's what these cars are going to have to be to sustain any kind of sanitary level. People are animals and they live like animals and they leave their s*** everywhere.

Not to mention the continuous monitoring of the vehicles throughout the day and night.
Oh man, good entrepreneurial opportunity here. I would gladly pay for some type of hard plastic seat for the back. Or maybe a hard plastic cover that I could put over my back seat that fits like a glove and I can remove when not driving ride share. A WeatherTech hard rubber seat cover for the rear seat! Yes.... I would buy that!