What were the original rates in Detroit when Uber started there?

eyewall

What were the original rates when Uber first started in Detroit? I mean even before 75 cents a mile. I am trying to get an idea of just how far prices have been cut overall.

uberQ

When I started in Detroit in December 2013 the rate was $1.60/mile with no charge for time until you were at or below 11 mph. The split was 80% driver and 20% for Uber with a $5 min. fare and no SRF. My average ride was $15 and the 80/20 split meant I kept $12. As I remember it the first fare drop was in Spring of 2014 to $1.40/mile and second drop was to $1.20/mile in Fall of 2014. When the SRF reared it's ugly head in 2014, the minimum charge to rider went up to $6, however briefly, and presented to driver as having no net effect on driver earnings. All these seem like the good old days compared to the insanity that started on January 9, 2015 at $0.75/mile + $0.15/minute. They have truly doubled down with the new rate as of January 9, 2016.
I saw a quote from an Uber executive somwhere along the way that they do alot of experimenting. My best guess is that they see Detroit as their petri dish, where they can find out just how cheap they can get people to work as drivers. The scary thing is, that when you turn on the rider app there are still many drivers still on the road at these unjustifiable and punishing rates. Interestingly though, the airport has been without an Uber X vehicle all but one of the times(prob 6-8) I looked in the last day. Even the desperate and dumb have figured out that this deal doesn't work at highway speed.
I believe Uber has proven beyond the shadow of a doubt, that they HATE the human chattel that drive for them, and don't really care much about their rider customers, either. I doubt you can build a great or even good business with this attitude toward your fellow humans, be they employees, independent contractors, or customers. Unfortunately, many people are going to have to get hurt before anything changes.

Johngee

When I started which was almost when it 1st started in the D it was 1.60 a mile. That was so awesome and the money was very easy, even when they dropped it to about 1.20 a mile it was still good and manageable to make a profit. Uber has become what you would call the pure evil to anyone who wants to drive for them at .30cts a mile. I know they have many rookies who think those guarantees are so great but as soon as they miss the requirements once on that hour that guarantees is no good. They'll learn the hard way

eyewall

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You should ask the rep for Detroit if they honestly think you can make more at 30 cents a mile than when it was 1.60 in 2013. We are 1.60 now in Burlington, VT (cut in the fall) and that is down from $2 when I started. The guarantee game was also played here. I am out if there is another cut which I suspect is coming real soon.

Robert Charles

Anyone thinking of trying to actually organize resistance to the price cuts you need to organize a group. Please curate your group carefully. Uber wins because they have no resistance. Internet complaints are not resistance. Individual quitting is not resistance.

UofMDriver

When I started in Detroit in December 2013 the rate was $1.60/mile with no charge for time until you were at or below 11 mph. The split was 80% driver and 20% for Uber with a $5 min. fare and no SRF. My average ride was $15 and the 80/20 split meant I kept $12. As I remember it the first fare drop was in Spring of 2014 to $1.40/mile and second drop was to $1.20/mile in Fall of 2014. When the SRF reared it's ugly head in 2014, the minimum charge to rider went up to $6, however briefly, and presented to driver as having no net effect on driver earnings. All these seem like the good old days compared to the insanity that started on January 9, 2015 at $0.75/mile + $0.15/minute. They have truly doubled down with the new rate as of January 9, 2016.
I saw a quote from an Uber executive somwhere along the way that they do alot of experimenting. My best guess is that they see Detroit as their petri dish, where they can find out just how cheap they can get people to work as drivers. The scary thing is, that when you turn on the rider app there are still many drivers still on the road at these unjustifiable and punishing rates. Interestingly though, the airport has been without an Uber X vehicle all but one of the times(prob 6-8) I looked in the last day. Even the desperate and dumb have figured out that this deal doesn't work at highway speed.
I believe Uber has proven beyond the shadow of a doubt, that they HATE the human chattel that drive for them, and don't really care much about their rider customers, either. I doubt you can build a great or even good business with this attitude toward your fellow humans, be they employees, independent contractors, or customers. Unfortunately, many people are going to have to get hurt before anything changes.
I picked up someone at the airport today on Uberx. Ride lasted for 20 minutes, cleared a whole whopping 9.99......yeah.