What to say to passenger?

Super dUber

Do you guys converse? What's the protocol for this? I normally greet them, ask them for their name, verify their destination. Then I go. If they appear friendly and want to talk more, I do my best to maintain a conversation with them. If they don't say anything, I won't either. I'm getting the occasional 1 star or possibly a bunch of 4 stars but most likely the 1 star. I had a 4.91 in the last 50 rides. Then today it dropped to 4.83. I don't think I did anything to deserve it. Any advice? Does this happen to everyone?

Uber Kraus

I like to talk to people personally. I've had the opportunity to crack a few jokes that got me pretty good tips as well. If the car is silent then there is tension in the air much like an elevator ride and people feel this and that can affect the passenger experience.

Desert Driver

Do you guys converse? What's the protocol for this? I normally greet them, ask them for their name, verify their destination. Then I go. If they appear friendly and want to talk more, I do my best to maintain a conversation with them. If they don't say anything, I won't either. I'm getting the occasional 1 star or possibly a bunch of 4 stars but most likely the 1 star. I had a 4.91 in the last 50 rides. Then today it dropped to 4.83. I don't think I did anything to deserve it. Any advice? Does this happen to everyone?
Your best approach here is to be well-read on a wide-range of topics so you're prepared to converse on any topic. This requires a lot of reading on your part, but it's amazing how paxs respond when someone can converse of their topic of interest.

And don't worry about your rating. The driver rating is so horribly flawed from a statistical point of view that the "values" we drivers earn are positively meaningless. Uber understands this, but it has stated quite clearly that it has no plans to replace the invalid driver rating system with s statistically valid measure. Anyone with even the most rudimentary grasp of Statistics knows that you can't use interval data to create an ordinal scale, but Uber seems to think you can. Yes, I have explained this ti Uber multiple times and in very understandable terms, but the cost associated with developing and implementing a valid driver rating system is beyond Uber's giveashit threshold for its drivers.

In the current rating system, the validity of the score can be described as follows:

Imagine receiving a message from Uber on your weekly summary that said, "Uber Partner, your driving rating score last week was lollipop. Two weeks ago your driving rating score was water pump. Congratulations! You are a valued Partner. Keep up the good work and Uber on!

See the problem here? The data point lollipop has nothing to do with and possesses no relationship to the data point water pump. Ergo, those two driver rating scores have precisely zero meaning. And this is exactly what happens when interval data (pax ratings of drivers) are used to create an ordinal scale (Uber's keep/kill threshold of 4.6.)

Last edited:

Renaldow

Your best approach here is to be well-read on a wide-range of topics so you're prepared to converse on any topic. This requires a lot of reading on your part, butit's amazing how paxs respond when someone can converse of their topic of interest.
This^^^

I'd also suggest watching the news at least once a day, glancing through the newspaper and maybe reading a a Time or Newsweek once a week. Knowing current events both locally and on a national/international level goes a long way. Not necessarily talking about politics/war which I will not speak about with a pax, but current events in general.

Uber-Doober

I like to talk to people personally. I've had the opportunity to crack a few jokes that got me pretty good tips as well. If the car is silent then there is tension in the air much like an elevator ride and people feel this and that can affect the passenger experience.
^^^
Like those silent farts on a crowded elevator.
That usually brings any convo to an abrupt end because everybody is holding their breath.
Just don't light a match... a-la Towering Inferno.