What to do when your driver never shows up but you get charged anyway?

jumeby

Ordered an uber, got the message saying the driver was 3 minutes away. looked at the map on the app...showed the driver literally within about a 7 minute walking distance. Got ready, saw that it said the driver was now 2 minutes away. kept looking on the map in the app...driver never moved. After 7 minutes it still said the driver was 2 minutes away. Driver still never moved. Started taking screen captures at this point. Then it showed the driver moving...in the opposite direction. Now said the driver was 5 minutes away. 10 minutes had passed and the driver--who was originally 3 minutes away--was now 5 minutes away and 3 blocks further away. texted the driver and said "When do you expect to arrive?". Got no response.

Fast forward...15 minutes have passed and now the map shows the driver heading in my direction and that it was 2 minutes away. Then it shows the driver turning away from my location again and then driving much further away. Now it says the driver is 7 minutes away and he's making a bee-line away from my location. I cancel the ride, pissed off that since I didn't cancel it within 2 minutes I'm gonna be charged. As of me writing this I've been charged $20 for a ride that was supposed to be $16 and never showed up or even acknowledged my text. Trying to report this to Uber was a waste of time. Their instructions for contacting them lead me nowhere...none of the topics they list under "Help" fit my issue, there's no phone support or if there is it's damn near impossible to find (supposed to pick the topic and see IF it has phone support, which I can't do since they don't have my topic on their list).

How do I rectify this? I've already missed my appointment so I'm screwed there.

UPDATE: After finally finding something that dealt with cancellation fees, I tried to request Uber to look into it...it took me to a page titled "Problem with cancellation fee" that asked me to pick the ride I want to 'adjust". Well, guess what...if you cancelled there IS no ride TO adjust. So I'm still stuck here trying to figure out what to do.

Last edited:

Jst1dreamr

Ordered an uber, got the message saying the driver was 3 minutes away. looked at the map on the app...showed the driver literally within about a 7 minute walking distance. Got ready, saw that it said the driver was now 2 minutes away. kept looking on the map in the app...driver never moved. After 7 minutes it still said the driver was 2 minutes away. Driver still never moved. Started taking screen captures at this point. Then it showed the driver moving...in the opposite direction. Now said the driver was 5 minutes away. 10 minutes had passed and the driver--who was originally 3 minutes away--was now 5 minutes away and 3 blocks further away. texted the driver and said "When do you expect to arrive?". Got no response.

Fast forward...15 minutes have passed and now the map shows the driver heading in my direction and that it was 2 minutes away. Then it shows the driver turning away from my location again and then driving much further away. Now it says the driver is 7 minutes away and he's making a bee-line away from my location. I cancel the ride, pissed off that since I didn't cancel it within 2 minutes I'm gonna be charged. As of me writing this I've been charged $20 for a ride that was supposed to be $16 and never showed up or even acknowledged my text. Trying to report this to Uber was a waste of time. Their instructions for contacting them lead me nowhere...none of the topics they list under "Help" fit my issue, there's no phone support or if there is it's damn near impossible to find (supposed to pick the topic and see IF it has phone support, which I can't do since they don't have my topic on their list).

UPDATE: After finally finding something that dealt with cancellation fees, I tried to request Uber to look into it...it took me to a page titled "Problem with cancellation fee" that asked me to pick the ride I want to 'adjust". Well, guess what...if you cancelled there IS no ride TO adjust. So I'm still stuck here trying to figure out what to do.
Use a real taxi service is the best solution. Drivers can't get through to Uber either.

NicFit

Contact support, I had this happen to me in Vegas a couple of weeks ago but when I canceled I didn’t get charged. Click on the charge itself in your history and you should be able to find a way to contact support

Daisey77

Nonsense.
It was 28 degrees and snowing here yesterday. No one needs to be waiting outside.
Quit blaming customers for driver and/or app failures.
He didn't blame the customer for anything. he simply stated a fact. The customer should have been outside. Passengers are supposed to be ordering when they're ready to go correct? He was simply pointing out that GPS isn't always 100% accurate every second

none of the topics they list under "Help" fit my issue
There should be an option for driver not making progress towards me
I've been charged $20 for a ride that was supposed to be $16 and never showed up or even acknowledged my text.
So now you expect your driver to text and drive? Why didn't you call him?

The Gift of Fish

This despicable and quite frankly inexcusable behaviour bears all the hallmarks of long-time UP user @Fusion_LUser. Rumour has it he has been moonlighting in Ohio of late.

Nats121

You got shuffled!
It's only a shuffle if the driver was paid a cancellation fee and did it in 5 minutes.

That ride was active for a lot longer than 5 minutes and the driver probably didn't get close enough to the pickup point to collect the fee.
Post automatically merged:

Was that a scheduled ride? If it wasn't, the only charge a no-show rider is responsible for is the cancellation fee.

What was the estimated miles and minutes for that trip?

Last edited:
He didn't blame the customer for anything. he simply stated a fact. The customer should have been outside. Passengers are supposed to be ordering when they're ready to go correct? He was simply pointing out that GPS isn't always 100% accurate every second

So now you expect your driver to text and drive? Why didn't you call him?

In fact, he did blame the customer. Read his post again. He blamed him for relying on GPS and for not being at the curb. If drivers have such a big problem with arriving at the pick up and waiting 1-2 minutes for the passenger to put their coat on and come outside then....I don't know....doesn't sound like the right job for them.
Whatever....it doesn't matter....most drivers here seem to want to get near the pick up, do their ridiculous shuffle routine, and collect their whopping $3.79, rather than actually picking up the passenger and possibly getting a decent ride. You do know that there's just a good a chance that the ride will be a good one than a crappy one, right? I'd say it was 50/50. But....carry on.

In fact, he did blame the customer. Read his post again. He blamed him for relying on GPS and for not being at the curb. If drivers have such a big problem with arriving at the pick up and waiting 1-2 minutes for the passenger to put their coat on and come outside then....I don't

Yes. I absolutely did blame the OP for not being at the curb. And I will do it again

He said the driver was 2 minutes away and didn't go outside toes to curb. Customers completely at Fault.

The OP never said the car was moving away, he said the dot on his screen was moving away. This is the actual issue. Had he been outside he would have seen the car.

Last edited:

Another Uber Driver

As of me writing this I've been charged $20 for a ride that was supposed to be $16 and never showed up or even acknowledged my text. Trying to report this to Uber was a waste of time.

There should have been a choice when you cancelled that read "Driver not making progress toward my address" or words similar.

Both Uber and Lyft are making it increasingly more difficult to get a message to them. Choose any topic that lets you send an e-Mail. At that point, give your complaint and tell Uber what you want. Even if it is "my driver was rude" or something totally off-topic. Give the time and date that you ordered, the destination given, your name and pick-up address. Tell them what happened.

Your message will go to a "call center" in Quézon City, Bangalore or Pondicherry. There, an employee with a command of the English Language that approximates that of a third grader will open it. The computer program will then "read" your e-Mail, highlight certain words or phrases, then suggest responses. The employee picks from the suggested "responses". The computer program will then compose an e-Mail and "reply" to you. This is why the first several "responses" that you receive will be totally off-topic. You must be persistent.

Welcome to YouPeaDotNet.

Use a real taxi service is the best solution. Drivers can't get through to Uber either.
(emphasis added)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^This, THIS, THIS and THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The customer should have been outside. Passengers are supposed to be ordering when they're ready to go correct?

Correctamundo!

There used to be one on Uber when you cancelled, but, I do not know if it is still there. Both Uber and Lyft keep changing things in order to make it more difficult both for user and driver to get through to them.

Why didn't you call him?

Are you allowed to use hand-helds while driving still in Colorado? The District of Columbia and the State of Maryland do not allow it. The Commonwealth of Virginia recently passed a ban on it that takes effect New Year's 2021. Many states do not allow it.

It's only a shuffle if the driver was paid a cancellation fee and did it in 5 minutes.

There is a higher risk form of a shuffle where you accept pings on both platforms but, of course, cover only one. You bet that the customer will cancel and not tell the platform that you were not "making progress". It seems to pay off more often when you cover the Lyft and not the Uber. On an one-by-one basis, it is a nothing to lose everything to gain. The big picture is not the same, though. Both platforms have been known to de-activate over repeated failure to cover, but it does not happen often. The payoff in our market is better on Uber, as you get the four/dollars.three dollars seventy five over Lyft two dollars and change.

Yes. I absolutely did blame the OP for not being at the curb. And I will do it again

He said the driver was 2 minutes away and didn't go outside toes to curb. Customers completely at Fault.
And yet the car never arrived. OP said he saw the car go in the opposite direction and also stop several times....that would have been the time for the driver to contact the passenger....that's what it's there for after all. Customer was not at fault.

Well, I don't know how cold it gets where you live, or how much it rains....but....good luck this winter. You are in for a lot of $3.79 shuffle fees, and a lot of pissing off of customers, instead of possibly making some real money. Seriously....good luck.
I may be new to this forum, but I am not new to this business. I'm in my sixties and have been in the people transport business on and off most of my life. I know what works and what doesn't.
Seriously....good luck sir.

Nats121

There should have been a choice when you cancelled that read "Driver not making progress toward my address" or words similar.

Both Uber and Lyft are making it increasingly more difficult to get a message to them. Choose any topic that lets you send an e-Mail. At that point, give your complaint and tell Uber what you want. Even if it is "my driver was rude" or something totally off-topic. Give the time and date that you ordered, the destination given, your name and pick-up address. Tell them what happened.

Your message will go to a "call center" in Quézon City, Bangalore or Pondicherry. There, an employee with a command of the English Language that approximates that of a third grader will open it. The computer program will then "read" your e-Mail, highlight certain words or phrases, then suggest responses. The employee picks from the suggested "responses". The computer program will then compose an e-Mail and "reply" to you. This is why the first several "responses" that you receive will be totally off-topic. You must be persistent.

Welcome to YouPeaDotNet.

(emphasis added)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^This, THIS, THIS and THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Correctamundo!

There used to be one on Uber when you cancelled, but, I do not know if it is still there. Both Uber and Lyft keep changing things in order to make it more difficult both for user and driver to get through to them.

Are you allowed to use hand-helds while driving still in Colorado? The District of Columbia and the State of Maryland do not allow it. The Commonwealth of Virginia recently passed a ban on it that takes effect New Year's 2021. Many states do not allow it.

There is a higher risk form of a shuffle where you accept pings on both platforms but, of course, cover only one. You bet that the customer will cancel and not tell the platform that you were not "making progress". It seems to pay off more often when you cover the Lyft and not the Uber. On an one-by-one basis, it is a nothing to lose everything to gain. The big picture is not the same, though. Both platforms have been known to de-activate over repeated failure to cover, but it does not happen often. The payoff in our market is better on Uber, as you get the four/dollars.three dollars seventy five over Lyft two dollars and change.
I forgot about that kind of shuffle.

The OP said he/she was charged for the ride itself in addition to the late fee.

That isn't supposed to happen unless it was a scheduled ride, which based on the wording of the OP doesn't appear to be the case here.

That would mean Uber messed up or the driver started and completed the trip without picking up the pax.

Last edited:

Seamus

I forgot about that kind of shuffle.
To be honest, based on the OP description the driver got close enough to the pick up point to avoid the "no progress issue", probably got timer going and just drove around waiting for the rider to cancel and running up the cancel fee by the timer still running. Sounds like the driver had no intention of giving the ride. I could be wrong but I call it as I see it.

Illini

Try contacting Uber via their Twitter support page, not their main Uber page. They seem to be more responsive on Twitter.
Good luck.

SHalester

that was a driver with not much IQ and 'tried' to shuffle you. Call Uber with the details; you will get your $$ back and driver will be tagged with a 'bad bad puppy, don't do that again' message.

Then said driver will show up here, change the story, and whine and cry about the pax they never tried to pickup. And so it goes, just like sand through the hour glass....these are the days of our lives. :rolleyes:

Daisey77

I know we have no texting and driving. That's why I asked the customer if they tried calling. The apps are set up to make it easier to text than to call but how many drivers text and drive? In my opinion it's better to call the driver. There's no guarantee they'll answer but chances are higher than them noticing a text message come through and being able to respond while driving

ANT 7

As a pax and not a driver, Uber support may probably pay attention to you somewhat. Call thru the link in the app.

For example, the driver's support line just has a recording which says there is no phone support during Covid. You might get the same reply.