What to do when a passenger steals from you?

NuestroPlaneta

Sooo I was doing uber tonight. Picked up these three high schooler kids. One of them approached the front seat where my backpack was, so I quickly took my bag and put it in the trunk area. I know that one of them reached in the back of the trunk from the backseat and quickly stole the cards from my wallet. They ended up robbing me out of $5, along with my drivers license and debit card. From my wallet they snook and took it from the trunk area near the backseat out of the front pocket of my bag, then quickly tossed the wallet in the back seat. Leaving it unzipped with two pennies. When I looked in the back my wallet was left sitting there and it's sad because I was nice to them as I am to all of my passengers. I had reported this to uber last night, but should I file a police report? I don’t want any identity theft or any of that. My card is cancelled but I know my drivers license is still out there. They had taken advantage of my kindness and even possibly the fact of me being a young woman doing uber.

However, I do understand that clearly they weren’t raised right but it's ok it's an easy fix all I have to do is go take my photo at the dmv again and have my card expedited. Atleast I have one of their addresses. But what should be the next step from here after reporting it uber?

FormerTaxiDriver♧

Sooo I was doing uber tonight. Picked up these three high schooler kids. One of them approached the front seat where my backpack was, so I quickly took my bag and put it in the trunk area. I know that one of them reached in the back of the trunk from the backseat and quickly stole the cards from my wallet. They ended up robbing me out of $5, along with my drivers license and debit card. From my wallet they snook and took it from the trunk area near the backseat out of the front pocket of my bag, then quickly tossed the wallet in the back seat. Leaving it unzipped with two pennies. When I looked in the back my wallet was left sitting there and it's sad because I was nice to them as I am to all of my passengers. I had reported this to uber last night, but should I file a police report? I don’t want any identity theft or any of that. My card is cancelled but I know my drivers license is still out there. They had taken advantage of my kindness and even possibly the fact of me being a young woman doing uber.

However, I do understand that clearly they weren’t raised right but it's ok it's an easy fix all I have to do is go take my photo at the dmv again and have my card expedited. Atleast I have one of their addresses. But what should be the next step from here after reporting it uber?
You will be permanently deactivated, for transporting unaccompanied minors, if you report the incident.

tohunt4me

Screenshot_2020-01-24-09-30-46.png

Wolfgang Faust

Hell yes, file a police report.

NuestroPlaneta

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You will be permanently deactivated, for transporting unaccompanied minors, if you report the incident.
Great. I mean... I honestly don’t know how old they were, the fact of them being high schoolers is just an assumption made.
Also, one of them looked as older than 18 and they were out past 2 AM. So it is possible that they were accompanied if one of them are older than 18. So what are the next steps I should take?

FormerTaxiDriver♧

Great. I mean... I honestly don’t know how old they were, the fact of them being high schoolers is just an assumption made.
Also, one of them looked as older than 18 and they were out past 2 AM. So it is possible that they were accompanied if one of them are older than 18. So what are the next steps I should take?
Driving those hours is asking for trouble, that none of us can help you out of. It is strongly recommended, that you stop driving those hours if you want to live.

disp350

So let me get this straight - You allow complete strangers in your car as an Uber driver, then you dont drive with your wallet in your back pants pocket and you leave important/personal items unsecured where passengers can get to them? I truly feel bad for you, but c'mon - this is 2020. As much as it sucks, trust no one! The only thing accessible is my phone, and they would have to reach in front of my face to pull it out of the holder, by which time they would either have a broken arm or face full of pepper spray.

NuestroPlaneta

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So let me get this straight - You allow complete strangers in your car as an Uber driver, then you dont drive with your wallet in your back pants pocket and you leave important/personal items unsecured where passengers can get to them? I truly feel bad for you, but c'mon - this is 2020. As much as it sucks, trust no one! The only thing accessible is my phone, and they would have to reach in front of my face to pull it out of the holder, by which time they would either have a broken arm or face full of pepper spray.
Next time I will be smarter and be more aggressive when it comes to protecting my belongings. I just threw the backpack in the trunk thinking it was ok back there. The passenger had given me a look like “move your bag” because he wants to sit in the front. Now that I look back on it that was dumb lmao. F that. I’m keeping my wallet in my pocket for now. This is a “young and dumb” moment, also a lesson learned. I had just started driving for Uber. I was more prepared for an attack than them stealing. 😒 I do hold myself accountable.

TomTheAnt

As rough as it sounds, I have to agree. Hope that's a lesson learned.

1.5xorbust

Next time I will be smarter and be more aggressive when it comes to protecting my belongings. I just threw the backpack in the trunk thinking it was ok back there. The passenger had given me a look like “move your bag” because he wants to sit in the front. Now that I look back on it that was dumb lmao. F that. I’m keeping my wallet in my pocket for now. This is a “young and dumb” moment, also a lesson learned. I had just started driving for Uber. I was more prepared for an attack than them stealing. 😒 I do hold myself accountable.
Now go get revenge.

MiamiKid

If these kids were all under 18, then, Uber may very well deactivate you per TOS. I do several cancels, every week, for unaccompanied minor. Collect cancel fee every time. You must wait out the timer.

These brats aren't worth it.

Good luck with everything. 👍
Post automatically merged:

Some high schoolers are 18. Report to police.
That's exactly correct, and if that's the case the "unaccompanied minor" thing doesn't apply.

However, agree that a police report should be filed.

MiamiKid

Also, any pickup I approach has to look comfortable. If not, cancel. Next?

mrpjfresh

Do you have dash cam video of the thieves stealing? If not, 1.) why no dash cam? and 2.) I doubt there is much the police can do. Your ID is in a trash bin somewhere along with your canceled credit cards. No proof of the incident.

Hard lesson to learn but others have said it best. I do not have anything (and I mean, anything) within view or reach that would truly upset me if a pax managed to steal, damage, etc. Cleaning supplies in the hatch, a blanket for dogs, barf bags, a folder of sheet music to practice between rides and a tin of mints (more for me than riders). The phone is the only thing in view worth anything that is not easily replaced and it is highly unlikely they would ever get that (yes, do not allow riders to "look something up" on your phone or anything. Believe it not, I've read that here a time or two).

I'd recommend first a dash cam. Then a decoy wallet. And then clear out anything unnecessary before a shift or hide stuff in the spare tire hatch or whatever.

peteyvavs

You know where they, baseball bats are a good teacher.