• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

What to do if pax gave a $100 tip for a small mess (puke)

Girl makes a small mess in the car (small puke puddle) Guy tips $100. Do I charge clean fee...

• Yes take the $100 tip and charge clean fee

Votes: 180 70.3%
  • No mess only took 15 minutes to clean

Votes: 76 29.7%

• Total voters

kc ub'ing!

Absolutely get the cleaning fee too! That mess is more than puke! Garbage and spilled fries too. Ef that turd! Hope you get max.

When I return a phone and the rider kicks down $20, I’ll skip the report and $15 fee. Anything less than $20 is gonna have $15 added to it!

RoWode12

If it were just puke, I’d consider the $100 fair. All that other trash? I’d definitely be pissed and charge a cleaning fee. That’s just straight up animal. They showed no respect for your personal property.

A middle ground would be to only request the additional $50.

Dug_M

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Because they disrespected you and your work space and you had to deal w that BS and smell it all the home and breathing in a toxic brew any questions?
You know ToughTommy I've disagreed with you before and maybe just your handle but thanks for your support and I did just what you suggested...

Kodyhead

If it were just puke, I’d consider the $100 fair. All that other trash? I’d definitely be pissed and charge a cleaning fee. That’s just straight up animal. They showed no respect for your personal property.

A middle ground would be to only request the additional $50.
I disagree, with cloth seats, SOMEONE NEEDS TO DIE!!!!!!!!! LOL. This is negan walking dead stuff lol

RoWode12

I disagree, with cloth seats, SOMEONE NEEDS TO DIE!!!!!!!!! LOL. This is negan walking dead stuff lol
Yeah, if I were the one dealing with it I would feel the same. Lol. In the heat of the moment I’d provably take the $250 in anger and feel *slightly* guilty later.

Doughie

View attachment 243817 View attachment 243816 View attachment 243818 View attachment 243819 Here's the thing... took a pax from AP to New York City. Girlfriend went to sleep in the 1st 3 minutes of the ride. The guy asked if he could just stop at Micky's D, now I never stop unless it's my last ride and they promise not to eat in the car.... Well I broke my own rule since it was going to be a long ride and he did not seem too drunk just buzzed. He did say he'll tip me good for this long ride...

Ok good trip no traffic even through the Holland tunnel (we were going to the village). As they are getting out I look back to remind them to check for phones etc. Well I see this mess (pictures below). Food wrappers and right in the middle of the back seat between where they were sitting a small amount of puke (tiny puddle). The girl had done it during the ride, I never heard her.
So I get home about to hit him with a cleaning fee and I see the $100 tip. The mess was easy to clean (I've tripled the amount of Scotchgard Auto Fabric & Carpet Protector. Put some baking soda on the whole back seat and the one floor mat to clean the rest the next day.

So do I hit him with a cleaning fee even though he tipped $100 and have him get hit with a $200 charge or just let it be? Can he once he's sees the cleaning fee charge dispute the charge on his credit card?

I do realize some of this is on me, first by letting a pax eat in the car 2nd for not putting an neminis bag in his had just in case the girlfriend needed it...

View attachment 243818

After I cleaned and put down baking soda for the drive home...
View attachment 243819

Don't know why the pictures double posted... Tried to fix it but oh well..
He promised the big tip before the puke mess. It looks like you have a puke mess worth $150 on top of the tip. If you want to be nice you can tell Uber to just hit him for a minimal $80 fee.

Kodyhead

Yeah, if I were the one dealing with it I would feel the same. Lol. In the heat of the moment I’d provably take the $250 in anger and feel *slightly* guilty later.
If it was leather seats and a smaller mess I may take the $100.but that car probably has an unwanted tattoo or scar for the rest of its car life

UberBeemer

Thank you, what's my problem maybe more then morals is empathy that I have towards others.
You know they gave you that honor so their credit card wouldn't get dinged for the cleaning fee. The right thing to do was leave it at that. Otherwise, they might rightfully complain of fraud and you might face deactivation.

Dug_M

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You know they gave you that honor so their credit card wouldn't get dinged for the cleaning fee. The right thing to do was leave it at that. Otherwise, they might rightfully complain of fraud and you might face deactivation.
I have to say I thought long and put a lot of thought into this... Reason for the original post . But what took me over the edge was the fact after and before I stopped at MacDonald's I even gave him a big thing of paper towels and said "No problem, I don't let people eat in my car but it's a long trip and I have cloth seats" (real quote...) and Yet the fries all over the place, open things of chicken nuggets containers you think that's ok... ? I had my issues with this talked it out with others and then did the poll... Anyway I did what I did and stand behind the decision... and let's not talk about me physically giving him a nemesis bag for his girlfriend who did puke in the seat...

I have to say I thought long and put a lot of thought into this... Reason for the original post . But what took me over the edge was the fact after and before I stopped at MacDonald's I even gave him a big thing of paper towels and said "No problem, I don't let people eat in my car but it's a long trip and I have cloth seats" (real quote...) and Yet the fries all over the place, open things of chicken nuggets containers you think that's ok... ? I had my issues with this talked it out with others and then did the poll... Anyway I did what I did and stand behind the decision... and let's not talk about me physically giving him a nemesis bag for his girlfriend who did puke in the seat...
I have to respond to my own post... I would have no problem to the girl who got sick... stuff happens... the the mess of the MacDonald's stuff was over the top... the guy was not drunk just buzzed and we had a good talk while driving... again this was a tough choice for me... anyway I'm done with this post....

nj2bos

Not a chance. No driver should ever have that much fear of deactivation.. the tip was a voluntary gift. There is no clause that substitutes a tip for a cleaning fee. It is always assumed the tip was for services and favors provided to the rider. Cleaning fee is secondary. Lyft/Uber would never deactivate a driver for this.