1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Featured What to do if pax gave a $100 tip for a small mess (puke)

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Dug_M, Jul 15, 2018.

Tags:
?
  1. Yes take the $100 tip and charge clean fee

180 vote(s)
    70.3%
  2. No mess only took 15 minutes to clean

76 vote(s)
    29.7%
  1. Dug_M

Dug_M

Driving:
    UberX
    upload_2018-7-15_9-5-47.jpeg upload_2018-7-15_9-4-31.png upload_2018-7-15_9-6-50.jpeg upload_2018-7-15_9-8-1.jpeg Here's the thing... took a pax from AP to New York City. Girlfriend went to sleep in the 1st 3 minutes of the ride. The guy asked if he could just stop at Micky's D, now I never stop unless it's my last ride and they promise not to eat in the car.... Well I broke my own rule since it was going to be a long ride and he did not seem too drunk just buzzed. He did say he'll tip me good for this long ride...

Ok good trip no traffic even through the Holland tunnel (we were going to the village). As they are getting out I look back to remind them to check for phones etc. Well I see this mess (pictures below). Food wrappers and right in the middle of the back seat between where they were sitting a small amount of puke (tiny puddle). The girl had done it during the ride, I never heard her.
    So I get home about to hit him with a cleaning fee and I see the $100 tip. The mess was easy to clean (I've tripled the amount of Scotchgard Auto Fabric & Carpet Protector. Put some baking soda on the whole back seat and the one floor mat to clean the rest the next day.

So do I hit him with a cleaning fee even though he tipped $100 and have him get hit with a $200 charge or just let it be? Can he once he's sees the cleaning fee charge dispute the charge on his credit card?

I do realize some of this is on me, first by letting a pax eat in the car 2nd for not putting an neminis bag in his had just in case the girlfriend needed it...

upload_2018-7-15_9-6-50.jpeg

After I cleaned and put down baking soda for the drive home...
    upload_2018-7-15_9-8-1.jpeg

Don't know why the pictures double posted... Tried to fix it but oh well..

tohunt4me, KellyC and Cableguynoe like this.
  2. ibeam23

ibeam23

Driving:
    UberX
    I'd 1-star and put in for a cleaning fee. Eff 'em.

3. Tip is a tip. Cleaning fee is something different.

That $100 tip is for going through drive thru and the long ride as you indicated. Charge em and they have zero recourse.

The cleaning fee is for have zero regard for your vehicle. My kids never made messes like that. It’s like some 2/3 year old was eating back there. And the puke which it’s hard to understand how you didn’t smell it. I had a puker that did it in a very expensive purse and down her shirt. Within 30 seconds, I smelled it from the third row. Just keep on puking in the purse and down your shirt and don’t get it on my seats.

BubblesLahey, F213, stpetej and 26 others like this.
  4. Lepke

Lepke

Driving:
    UberXL
    With those cloth seats and you taking late night rides I think it is time for you to get a good quality seat cover.
    Clazzio vinyl seat covers fit and cover really well.
    I installed caltrend I cant believe its not leather in my van yesterday and I would not recommend them.
    But I do recommend clazzio if they make them for your car. Unfortunately they don't make them for my car.

And by the way, you should definitely try and get your cleaning fee.

Jerryk2, Fostel, tohunt4me and 8 others like this.
  5. dauction

dauction

You are asking because you are not comfortable charging clean up fee on top of the $100... That's YOUR morals speaking to you ...

Customers knew they made a mess , felt bad (also morals at work) and paid you . (too bad all passengers are not like that)

You know what the answer is dont let greed get in the way

6. Dug_M

Dug_M

Driving:
    UberX
    Thank you, what's my problem maybe more then morals is empathy that I have towards others.

negeorgia, Flacco and Lightning1181 like this.
  7. dauction

dauction

Hey was that her pony tail hairband
    [​IMG]

Were I am at it is pretty common to pick up same passengers ... Next time you get them you should mess with them ... "You guys remember what you left in my car last time .. Oh we're soo sorry ... No no ..I meant this ..her hairband ...and the french fry he threw up :D

Rakos and tohunt4me like this.
  8. Dug_M

Dug_M

Driving:
    UberX
    Here's the deal I only get repeat customers that live in my small community. My girlfriend said (and rightly so) "charge them, you'll never see them again" and she's right, I live at the jersey show with thousands of out of town visitors... very rarely repeats...

BenDrivin and MoreTips like this.
  9. Lepke

Lepke

Driving:
    UberXL
    It's a tough one. He did tip you $100. But he didn't come clean at the end of the ride and fess up to what was going on back there. This would be a tough one for me also but I believe I would go for the cleaning fee and feel slightly bad about it but take it anyway. There's a little bit of greed at play but there is also a punitive damage.

Anyway, what kind of car are you driving? Let's see if we can find you some good vinyl seat covers at a decent price.

Rakos, Fostel, tohunt4me and 2 others like this.
  10. SuzeCB

SuzeCB

Driving:
    UberX
    They paid $50 short.

Tell Uber about the mess, and that they already paid $100, but you feel, and the pictures support, it's worth the max, $150. This is biohazard. Puke is biohazard, and ACID. Cloth seats need to be deep cleaned and disinfected, preferably professionally, with full water extraction. Otherwise that acid will eat away at the cushion and upholstery from within. Same with urine.

woodywho, Actionjax, TeleSki and 18 others like this.
  11. anteetr

anteetr

Driving:
    UberXL
    Honestly, you really hit the moral dilemma for me. It's a tough call. Generally I'm about getting money and I'm pretty ruthless about getting as much as possible from riders. For instance, they certainly would have been taken for a ride over the Verrazano in my car solely because I get $25 more for that route. That said, most riders are scum and don't tip at all, let alone have the decency to try to make a bad situation right with a $100 tip. That behavior deserves to be encouraged.

If it was me and my car, I'd let em slide but I also have leather seats and it would literally take me 1 minute to clean that. Anybody that coughs up a $100 tip voluntarily deserves a little better than to get ****ed anyway and he's definitely getting charged the full $150 if you put in for a cleaning fee. People who try to do the right thing deserve the same in kind.

Now if you honestly believe the only reason he gave you that tip was to try and save $50 on the cleaning fee then by all means fire away, lol!

12. This is why I have seat covers

CnyLatina, Cableguynoe and SuzeCB like this.
  13. Dug_M

Dug_M

Driving:
    UberX
    I am leaning toward doing the cleaning report... only because someone reminded me that their 5 year old would never make a mess like that... I will tell you I was shocked and the fries and (I guess) the chicken nuggets sauce packs all over the place.
    On the plus side I did already take your advice I have a 2013 Toyota Camry LE in showroom condition... I will check for other prices but I will pull the trigger thanks LepkeLepke
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019QM6Y3Y/?tag=ubne0c-20

negeorgia, Rakos, MoreTips and 2 others like this.
  14. freeFromUber

freeFromUber

Driving:
    UberX
    You’re being too kind Suze. The pax have a $100 tip for the long ride and stopping at Mickey D’s. Then he leaves food/garbage/puke (biohazard, as you mentioned) and doesn’t even say a word. Screw him!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2018
  15. Dug_M

Dug_M

Driving:
    UberX
    By the way I checked Uber TOS and I have 3 days to report I only do Thu, Fri, Sat nights... Most likely I will do it this evening... Thanks for all the support... Pro or Con.... Doug

Rakos, MoreTips and Lepke like this.
  16. mikewithebike

mikewithebike

Driving:
    UberX
    It goes without saying I'd bang him for the cleaning fee notwithstanding the $100 tip. $149.89 plus tax @ Shrewsbury Car Wash would be what I'd be paying to properly take care of that particular mess. I guess I'd have to fight Uber for the few dollars over their regular payment for this type of incident.

Suzuki-Uber, Lepke and Dug_M like this.
  17. Lepke

Lepke

Driving:
    UberXL
    I would order them custom made from CARiD or realtruck or one of the other online auto accessory companies. But that price looks pretty good especially for leather but you definitely want them custom fit to your car.

reg barclay and Dug_M like this.
  18. Dug_M

Dug_M

Driving:
    UberX
    thanks again... I'll give you an update within a month...

19. HotUberMess

HotUberMess

Option 3: reject the money pax offered and get $150 from pax through pax’s credit card

I had this happen to me and that is what I did. Pax tried to offer me only $50.

What is this “it’s only a small mess” crap? You are cleaning up someone else’s nasty *vomit* and you want to let that slide???

20. mikewithebike

mikewithebike

Driving:
    UberX
    The pax "didn't offer" the $100 tip. He said he'd tip upfront, which he did. He gave the driver no heads up whatsoever to the mess in the back..

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018