• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

What Size Tablet?

Authority

You guys convinced me to get an iPad for Uber... what size are you using?

Also does it work on Lyft too?

FLKeys

I don't think Apple tablets allow for split screen with two apps. At least that is what I was told. I know on my wi-fi only Samsung tablet I can run two apps split screen, however Uber Rider will not work in split screen mode. I think Uber blocks it in the app some how. I never tried to run driver apps on my tablet to see if i can run in split screen side by side. I'll have to give it a try.

Really wish iPhones would run split screens, pretty much my only complaint about iPhone.

VanGuy

I don't think Apple tablets allow for split screen with two apps. At least that is what I was told. I know on my wi-fi only Samsung tablet I can run two apps split screen, however Uber Rider will not work in split screen mode. I think Uber blocks it in the app some how. I never tried to run driver apps on my tablet to see if i can run in split screen side by side. I'll have to give it a try.

Really wish iPhones would run split screens, pretty much my only complaint about iPhone.
I believe they do now. Mine is one model too old but I'm told the latest few models will do this.

SatMan

I like my mini 5....runs fast, but haven't tried split screen.
Post automatically merged:

Make sure you get the right one...
iPad mini is beloved for its size and capability. And now there are even more reasons to love it. The A12 Bionic chip with Neural Engine. A 7.9-inch Retina display with True Tone. And Apple Pencil support, so you can capture your biggest ideas, wherever they come to you.

Features:

• 7.9-inch Retina display with True Tone and wide color
  • A12 Bionic chip
  • Touch ID fingerprint sensor
  • 8MP back camera, 7MP FaceTime HD front camera
  • Stereo speakers
  • 802.11ac Wi-Fi with Gigabit-class LTE cellular data
  • Up to 10 hours of battery life
  • Lightning connector for charging and accessories
  • iOS 12 with Group FaceTime, shared augmented reality experiences, Screen Time, and more

• A12 Bionic chip

Last edited:

VanGuy

Use two apps at the same time with Split View
animation showing Split View in action

With Split View, you can use two apps at the same time. For example, you can view photos while you compose an email. Or look at a location in Maps while you search for vacation ideas in Safari.
How to use Split View:
  1. Open an app.
  2. Swipe up from the bottom of the screen to open the Dock.
  3. On the Dock, touch and hold the second app that you want to open, then drag it off the dock.
  4. When the app opens in Slide Over, drag
    the dash icon
    down.
How to adjust Split View:
  • To give the apps equal space on the screen, drag the app divider to the center of the screen.
  • To turn a Split View into a Slide Over, swipe down from the top of the app.
  • To close Split View, drag the app divider over the app that you want to close.

Authority

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Can anyone confirm Uber runs in split view? What's the best mounting solution for the mini? Does it worth tethered?

FLKeys

I can confirm Uber & Lyft both run in split view on my Samsung Tablet. I have them both open right now on my tablet as I type this. Uber acts a little glitchy but I might make a hot spot on my iPhone and try running the apps from my tablet tonight.

I don't have an iPad to test it.

I also don't have a mounting option for my tablet, I'll have to work on that. I prefer my Uber/Lyft device to be down low out of sight from outside my car. Right now I use a modified window suction cup mount with a long arm for my iPhone, it sits down near my gear shift and I can easily accept a ping without taking my eyes off the road.
Post automatically merged:

Just found this:
I'm liking this mount I found on Amazon. More than I really want to spend but I like how it will put the tablet where I want it.

FLKeys

Well I tried using my Samsung Wi-Fi tablet connected to my phone hot spot, tablet must not have GPS because it did not show my location moving as I drove down the highway. I went back to using my phone right away.

I'm really considering the tablet idea as I want to run it side by side with an app showing what it cost me to do the current trip I am on.