What should be the best strategy?

Res Vic

I am new in Sydney and just started driving Uber (30 trips so far). I was wondering if you can suggest a good strategy to follow in my situation.

I have all hours starting Friday 7:30 pm and ending on Monday 6:30 am.
I live in Mt Druitt.
I am renting for 260/week for Unlimited km.

What would you do, and what can be a reasonable target for net money in this situation.

Last edited:
I am from west as well, I drive to Strathfield and turn on the app.
I will take M4, don't even bother to turn on the app until you reach or past Homebush bay rd.

If you turn on the app on M4 u will definetly get a job in like from 10km far either from penrith or Mt druit train station to house(2 km ).

or

take Cumberland rd exit(via northmead) towards victoria rd

If you wan to work local, always go to panthers in Penrith.

................just my 2cents...........

EyesWIDEopen

I am new in Sydney and just started driving Uber (30 trips so far). I was wondering if you can suggest a good strategy to follow in my situation.

I live in Mt Druitt.

What would you do, and what can be a reasonable target for net money in this situation.
This is the gap...
Are you asking for directions...???

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170908-153032.png
    Screenshot_20170908-153032.png
    82.7 KB · Views: 78

Hugh G

I live in Mt Druitt.

I would check what options you have to get out of your vehicle renting agreement

AND/OR

I would check my health insurance coverage has full cover when you eventually have an accident working those hours trying to keep up the payments( as well as fuel etc etc) on your vehicle, as well as having a life

Good luck and keep us all posted !

Last edited:

fields

I live in Mt Druitt.

You can only work from 7.30pm Friday till Monday morning, rent a car for $260 a week,live an hour's drive away from the core area and are new to Sydney? I don't often agree with Hugh G as he is way too negative but in this case, I do. Try to get out of that rental agreement by giving notice today!

If you start at Mt Druitt on Friday night at 7.30pm and drive till say 2am, you will have earned absolutely nothing as it is unlikely you will have earned enough to pay for your car. Saturday is your big chance for money, start at Midday and work till 4am. You should be up $350 after paying for petrol and the remainder of your car rental. Sunday start at 1pm and go through till 2am, you should be at $700. Remember you are liable for GST and tax on that amount.

No point wasting an hour driving to the core areas, you are better off hanging around Mt Druitt when you start and let the passengers decide where you will end up.

Last edited:

Waingro

• Switch app on
  • Drive towards Core area
  • Accept every ride
  • You will earn what everyone else on the forum earns taking into consideration of
  • Time you drive, How long you are on the app, your acceptance rate and also how efficient you are in getting to the PAX and communicating with them.
  • Download Ricdam spreadsheet ,put all details in and it will all move to the average.

Dr. Pax

You can only work from 7.30pm Friday till Monday morning, rent a car for $260 a week,live an hour's drive away from the core area and are new to Sydney? I don't often agree with Hugh G as he is way too negative but in this case, I do. Try to get out of that rental agreement by giving notice today!

If you start at Mt Druitt on Friday night at 7.30pm and drive till say 2am, you will have earned absolutely nothing as it is unlikely you will have earned enough to pay for your car. Saturday is your big chance for money, start at Midday and work till 4am. You should be up $350 after paying for petrol and the remainder of your car rental. Sunday start at 1pm and go through till 2am, you should be at $700. Remember you are liable for GST and tax on that amount.

No point wasting an hour driving to the core areas, you are better off hanging around Mt Druitt when you start and let the passengers decide where you will end up.
This.

Your car rental + petrol + GST during the weekend means you'll work the first 10-12 hours (!) just to repay your expenses. :eek:
If you follow fields schedule, it means you'll start earning money around 5/6pm on Saturday. :rolleyes:

From then on, you'll earn 23 (hours) * $30/h (+ GST) = $690.
If you are on the low bracket, you'll pay 19% of that on taxes. So your average net will be $550 for 35hr of work, during the week end. This is $15,70/hr.
Even if you are bad at maths/accounting, this is a no brainer.

As the other suggest, either you can afford a (cheap) car, or go find another part time job that will:
  • pay better
  • won't put you at risk of serious injury
  • have a more life-friendly schedule.
From the sound of it, it seems like you have another occupation during the week (work/studies), so the question is, is it really worth the trouble? :oopsies:

People who rent cars for Uber work a minimum of 60hr/week to make it worth.

Res Vic

Thank you all.
I am considering to have a cheaper car, but I dont even have the money to buy one. So my only option is to get a cheaper rental car deal.

I have a baby to look after during the week, when my partner works, so the only time I can work is when my partner is at home. I can possibly work during the weekdays between 7pm - 6.30am but I doubt that would make any money while sitting in Mt Druitt. As rightly suggested, driving 1 hour to core area and then coming back to Mt Druitt 1 hour would be too much waste, so I haven't tried it.

My stats so far are as follows
w1 21 hrs $633
w2 10 hrs $272
w3 26 hrs $670

The strategy I have followed so far is to go towards

- CBD using Great Western Highway
- Ryde
- Bondi beech

And taking any requests on the way wherever they take me to. While coming back I set the destination in the app to Penrith and drive towards home and let the app decide if there is any matching ride request. Interestingly, almost every time I got a very good series of back to back pings going in my direction.

One observation: I do not get any ping before spending 1-1.5 hours on the road, no matter where I am driving to and what time of the day it is. May be totally random but dont know what's the reason.

Hugh G

People who rent cars for Uber work a minimum of 60hr/week to make it worth.

RES VIC...

Your FIXED COSTS (IE Car Rental, additional annual fee for driving authority/licence) are a very high proportion of your takings for those driving part time.

w1 21 hrs $633
w2 10 hrs $272
w3 26 hrs $670

I may be wrong, but in w2 it appears you made a loss when you deduct $260 for car, approx $33 for GST + petrol etc.

Keep records and use AN AVERAGE to estimate how it is working for you and then evaluate the result.

DONT CHASE THE LOST DOLLARS - it's like trying to catch up with lost sleep.

Good Luck !

Syd drv

Thank you all.
I am considering to have a cheaper car, but I dont even have the money to buy one. So my only option is to get a cheaper rental car deal.

I have a baby to look after during the week, when my partner works, so the only time I can work is when my partner is at home. I can possibly work during the weekdays between 7pm - 6.30am but I doubt that would make any money while sitting in Mt Druitt. As rightly suggested, driving 1 hour to core area and then coming back to Mt Druitt 1 hour would be too much waste, so I haven't tried it.

w1 21 hrs $633
w2 10 hrs $272
w3 26 hrs $670

The strategy I have followed so far is to go towards

- CBD using Great Western Highway
- Ryde
- Bondi beech

And taking any requests on the way wherever they take me to. While coming back I set the destination in the app to Penrith and drive towards home and let the app decide if there is any matching ride request. Interestingly, almost every time I got a very good series of back to back pings going in my direction.

One observation: I do not get any ping before spending 1-1.5 hours on the road, no matter where I am driving to and what time of the day it is. May be totally random but dont know what's the reason.

Hey mate.
I can see you got good average!!
What time you generally start (as example for week 3?)
You work on weekend only?
I also new to uber.

understated

You should be able to average $40ph (gross) at least Friday to Sunday. Forget starting at 7:30pm on Friday, you want to start at 9:30pm and work right through the night until you've had enough. After 10pm on Friday and Saturday you've got a pretty good chance of getting a long ping no matter where you are at.

On Saturday set destination to airport when you start and jump off the M4 on to the Cumberland and take the Great Western Highway/Parramatta road to Homebush Bay Drive down to the M5. Have a break when you get to the airport and by the time you're done you should be coming out of there with a ping.

Hover around suburbs surrounding the CBD (avoid the CBD) until 8pm. (I find heading towards Northbridge works quite well)

Between 8 and 10 is quiet on Friday and Saturday nights. I usually head to the airport if I cant get anything between these hours.

I have no problems doing over $1000 across Friday and Saturday.

Res Vic

Hey mate.
I can see you got good average!!
What time you generally start (as example for week 3?)
You work on weekend only?
I also new to uber.
I am just experimenting with different timings. So for example I have started Friday at around 9pm. Sat 11am, and Sun 3 pm. And yes I have worked on weekend only.

You should be able to average $40ph (gross) at least Friday to Sunday. Forget starting at 7:30pm on Friday, you want to start at 9:30pm and work right through the night until you've had enough. After 10pm on Friday and Saturday you've got a pretty good chance of getting a long ping no matter where you are at.

On Saturday set destination to airport when you start and jump off the M4 on to the Cumberland and take the Great Western Highway/Parramatta road to Homebush Bay Drive down to the M5. Have a break when you get to the airport and by the time you're done you should be coming out of there with a ping.

Hover around suburbs surrounding the CBD (avoid the CBD) until 8pm. (I find heading towards Northbridge works quite well)

Between 8 and 10 is quiet on Friday and Saturday nights. I usually head to the airport if I cant get anything between these hours.

I have no problems doing over $1000 across Friday and Saturday.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it this weekend.

I have not tried the airport yet. What do you think is a good time to go towards airport. And I read that there are two separate terminal queues for Uber, which one is more active at what time?

Wow, $1000, it sounds very attractive. how long it took you to crack this strategy.

understated

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it this weekend.

I have not tried the airport yet. What do you think is a good time to go towards airport. And I read that there are two separate terminal queues for Uber, which one is more active at what time?

Wow, $1000, it sounds very attractive. how long it took you to crack this strategy.

Airport queue moves quick between 6:30am and 9am in the morning and between 5pm and 9pm at night on weeknights, and generally are pretty quick all day Saturday and Sunday too. I don't bother with international, there is no place to pee, eat or have coffee while you wait.

It didn't take very long to figure things out, a few weeks really. I already had a fair idea of what suburbs I needed to target before I started and just did a little bit of trial and error.

L5S

Wasting money paying full lease for just weekend

Find another 2 driver to sublease Mon-Fri so car is on road 24/7 & you get back lease fee w/profit

Also if only working 1 12hr shift on weekend find 3rd driver to rent other weekend shift

Dont waste lease fee car should be on road 24/7 for max value

understated

Wasting money paying full lease for just weekend

Find another 2 driver to sublease Mon-Fri so car is on road 24/7 & you get back lease fee w/profit

Also if only working 1 12hr shift on weekend find 3rd driver to rent other weekend shift

Dont waste lease fee car should be on road 24/7 for max value

Works ok in theory, but would be a bloody nightmare to organise. You also need to be able to add other drivers to the rental agreement so that the other people can upload the vehicle to their uber profile. This also opens you up to the risk of other people damaging the car and you being left with paying the damage excess.

emerson0

I live in Mt Druitt.

My MONTHLY car repayments are $289!!

fields

Works ok in theory, but would be a bloody nightmare to organise. You also need to be able to add other drivers to the rental agreement so that the other people can upload the vehicle to their uber profile. This also opens you up to the risk of other people damaging the car and you being left with paying the damage excess.

Rental companies usually allow you to name one other driver but only for non Uber trips. Of course you can ignore this and I am sure some do. But that means you are liable for any damages to the car. In addition, it wouldn't take the rental company very long to work out the car is being driven nearly 24 hours a day when the mileage on the car goes up by 3000km a week or more.

[email protected]

Get yourself a bicycle and helmet and do ubereats in the city on weekends. You can do deliveries until 3:00am . Just catch the train into the city and back.

Res Vic

Is working 9pm - 12 mid night in weekdays any good in Parramatta area?
If not, then what can be a good strategy for 9pm-12midnight during weekdays.