What regs will Uber be violating on July 16th?

Hannibalb

I've been expecting Uber to drag out enforcing the regs as long as possible because of all the drivers they'll lose. Meaning they will go beyond the July 16 deadline before blocking all the drivers regs say they should.
Will they act on some immediately and not others? Vehicle year, inspection, insurance, rideshare license. Also when will the city start enforcing the regs and what are the penalties? Anyone have any insight on this?

Gill002

They won't violate any, because then there's no grey area in the city laws about uber and that would mean them ending up in court if they do.

As far as insurance goes, it took Alberta a significant amount of time to get that insurance plan, let's see how long Ontario takes

Hannibalb

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So you think they will boot off all drivers who havent had city background check, proper insurance, inspections at city facility, 2009 vehicle year? 90% of drivers wont be driving on the 16th then.

uber fool

Taxi owners are asking for 140k for the plate again,they think that after july 15 uber will be kaput,and there taxi plates will be worth more than gold and diamonds hehehehe
I think uber will give the finger to the city once again and continue to operate just as they are now

biozon

I disagree on 90%. I think at least half or more have already completed everything that needs to be done by now (minus the insurance, of course).

Gill002

Uber won't stop after regulations, but they won't take liability for drivers either since the city has clearly stated that the PTC company will be responsible for ensuring that drivers have proper cars and maintenance etc etc.
Not 90% but definitely 50% will be off the road for various reasons

uber fool

Uber won't stop after regulations, but they won't take liability for drivers either since the city has clearly stated that the PTC company will be responsible for ensuring that drivers have proper cars and maintenance etc etc.
Not 90% but definitely 50% will be off the road for various reasons
All of these things are insignificant insurance is the spoiler here

PoorBasterd

Uber has been negotiating with Intact Insurance for almost a year now. It's just two weeks away from the insurance requirement and Uber hasn't even made an announcement about when there'll be an announcement!

Something tells me all is not well down in Uber Land. Actionjax: You've got a good track record for knowing the inside scope at Uber. What do you think is holding Uber up from announcing how the insurance is going to go?

Last edited:

Hannibalb

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They've been doing the city background checks on drivers? Do those canadian tire inspections count as checks at city approved shops??

Gill002

They've been doing the city background checks on drivers? Do those canadian tire inspections count as checks at city approved shops??
Any shop certified to do a basic safety test on car essentially is city qualified shop. Why do you think cabs are in such bad shape? My uncle owns a shop and he'll give me the inspection for free without inspecting my car. But I don't need an inspection as its a new car

Token44

Section 36 of the Toronto vehicle-for-hire bylaw states:
"City Council delegate to the Executive Director, Municipal Licensing and Standards, the authority to establish policies and guidelines with respect to public safety and to establish thresholds for criminal and background screening."
If the City hasn't yet established and provided those policies, then UBER can't be in violation.

And in section 35(c):
"develop an alternate vehicle inspection program that allows all vehicles to use Ministry of Transportation Safety Standards Certificates provided by City-approved, pre-qualified inspection facilities"

Which is exactly what UBER did when sending the driver's to CTC.

There's no way the city cannot approve CTC as an inspection facility.

A Canadian company, using provincially licences mechanical technicians, and issuing MOT approved certificates. Would seem foolish to even try and argue that CTC would not be approved.

The City was most concerned with running the inspections at "cost recovery". UBER's solution represents ZERO cost to the City. They will be happy about this.

Looks like UBER has it's bases well covered on these points.

Aldagr8

Any shop certified to do a basic safety test on car essentially is city qualified shop. Why do you think cabs are in such bad shape? My uncle owns a shop and he'll give me the inspection for free without inspecting my car. But I don't need an inspection as its a new car
Even if it's a new car, you don't want to go around disclosing that you will get a Certificate without inspection. Your uncle could get into trouble. :smiles:

Token44

IMHO

It seems to be fair to assume that all drivers on UBER's system with vehicles older than 7 model years will find themselves unable to go online.

As has been said before. Insurance is the only sticking point.

If the insurance product has not been approved by July 15 I can see it going 2 ways.

1. Uber halts operations until the insurance is available.

2. We get an email from UBER stating that as of July 15, only drivers who have rideshare insurance that meets the city's regulations (Aviva) should be logging in and accepting rides.

I'd bet on #2.
UBER will once again play the grey areas.

They won't block anyone from logging in, simply stating that they are a technology company, not insurance experts, so they advised the drivers what was required. Blocking drivers from logging in may block some that are properly insured causing those individuals undue hardship and disadvantage their ability to run their businesses.

If an individual driver decided to ignore that information, defy the bylaw, and work without the proper coverage they had no control over this rebel.

This will also mean UBER would NOT be paying or fighting any fines drivers receive, because they "told you so".

If the insurance product does get approved by July 15 please disregard everything above. :smiles:

Last edited:

UberxGTA

I've been expecting Uber to drag out enforcing the regs as long as possible because of all the drivers they'll lose. Meaning they will go beyond the July 16 deadline before blocking all the drivers regs say they should.
Will they act on some immediately and not others? Vehicle year, inspection, insurance, rideshare license. Also when will the city start enforcing the regs and what are the penalties? Anyone have any insight on this?
Let's keep in mind these are City of Toronto bylaws. All other jurisdictions are 'business as usual' as Uber always states.