What Preowned car is best for uber?

Toyota Guy

-Get a 2009-2012 Camry, Matrix, Corolla, Accord, or Civic with 75-100K miles. Spend $8-14K. These are the most reliable cars you can buy. They will last to 200K miles with minimal maintenance and repair. They should allow you to operate the vehicle for less than $.30/mile.

Another Uber Driver

-Get a 2009-2012 Camry, Matrix, Corolla, Accord, or Civic
I am no fan of the Japanese-badged buggies, but the consensus on these Boards is that these things make the most sense, economically. This is coming from someone who uses a 2014 Fusion hybrid.

The one advantage in one of those things is that if you need financing and yer credit ain't none too good or ya' ain't got no credit attall, there are "Buy Here/Pay Here" lemon lots everywhere that have thousands of those things sitting on them. The only qualification for securing financing at one of those places is the ability to frost a mirror.

sarasota ron

Buy like a 2010 Dodge Caravan that is in clean condition and drives reliable. Good air conditioning. You will not be eating up a bunch of depreciation on the vehicle and you can seat 6 passengers. This will allow you to accept both Uber X and Uber XL trips. Can get a lot of XL trips on weekends and this is where you can make some decent money.

ezrarobles

If you want a Hybrid with dignity over a Prius there is always the Ford Fusion Hybrid.

Stylish, Comfortable for both you and the passengers, and spacious. Oh right, and fuel efficient :p

Another Uber Driver

If you want a Hybrid with dignity over a Prius there is always the Ford Fusion Hybrid.
Stylish, Comfortable for both you and the passengers, and spacious. Oh right, and fuel efficient :p
I have a 2014 Fusion hybrid for the UberX car and a 2015 for the cab. Both are good on gasolene. The customers like the Fusion. I have heard customer complaints about the Prius. There are even a few who have stated that if the application sends a Prius they cancel or it is automatic one-star.

The Fusion has proved a good car for both uses, so far.

One thing, though. While the Fusion does have more passenger room, the Prius does have more trunk space.

Horsebm

I have a 2014 Fusion hybrid for the UberX car and a 2015 for the cab. Both are good on gasolene. The customers like the Fusion. I have heard customer complaints about the Prius. There are even a few who have stated that if the application sends a Prius they cancel or it is automatic one-star.

The Fusion has proved a good car for both uses, so far.

One thing, though. While the Fusion does have more passenger room, the Prius does have more trunk space.
Great car !
I drive a 2016 Fusion Energi, It's a very comfortable car to drive and I get great MPG.

Another Uber Driver

Great car !
I drive a 2016 Fusion Energi, It's a very comfortable car to drive and I get great MPG.
Indeed, both of my Fusions are.

Explain about the Energi, if you will, please. As I understand it, it is a plug-in hybrid. You get a number of miles on pure electric, then it works similar to a standard hybrid.

Is that correct?

Is the gasolene engine constant speed (as it is in the Chevrolet) or does it work as does the gasolene engine in the standard Fusion hybrid?

How many pure electric miles do you get on a full charge? Does full time air conditioner use diminish the pure electric miles significantly?

Can you use the higher voltage chargers to get a one-hundred per-cent charge more quickly or can you use only house current? How long does it take to charge the thing on house current?...........on the higher voltage chargers (if you can use them)?

Thank you in advance for your replies. I am curious about this car. I did look into the Chevrolet, but the price was higher and it did not seem to deliver much more for the price disparity. In fact, before the thirty-thousand dollar Tesla appeared, I looked into the seventy-thousand dollar version. In addition to the other consideration, the basic economics of the purchase price ruled it out. For the price of one Tesla, I could buy three Fusion hybrids if I hit the dealer at the proper time. I needed only two: one for the cab, one for TNC work.

renbutler

Buy like a 2010 Dodge Caravan that is in clean condition and drives reliable. Good air conditioning. You will not be eating up a bunch of depreciation on the vehicle and you can seat 6 passengers. This will allow you to accept both Uber X and Uber XL trips. Can get a lot of XL trips on weekends and this is where you can make some decent money.
Avoid Dodge like the plague. They are notorious for transmission and brake issues.

The Japanese cars have dropped a bit in reliability in recent years. The Koreans (Hyundai/Kia) have actually passed them in recent initial quality studies.

I've owned both Hyundais and Kia, and find them to be an outstanding value with great reliability.

MSUGrad9902

Something you can pay off with uber money in a year or two and still have life left in it. Also - I'd maintain the ability to take XL trips if possible - unless you really insist on sticking to plus 30 mpg. (I get about 20 in my Ford Flex).

renbutler

Something you can pay off with uber money in a year or two and still have life left in it.
Or, better yet, just buy a vehicle outright and avoid payments with interest.

I know a lot of people think that's an outrageous concept these days, but with a modest income I've bought my last couple vehicles outright -- including the low-mileage 2006 Kia Sedona that I am now using for UberX/XL (although over 90% of its usage is to carry the family around). Cost just $6,000, and I had a trade-in to cover a portion of the cost.

I haven't had a car payment in almost ten years, because debt is dumb!