What percentage Uber driver are you? POLL

What percentage Uber driver are you?

• 20 PERCENTER

Votes: 41 59.4%
  • 25 PERCENTER

Votes: 16 23.2%
  • Been driving since the $1.50 a mile rate.

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • Other (elaborate in comment)

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

SCdave

Winter 2014 was when I really started to drive. Signed up in late fall of 2013 but didn't hit the road until New Years 2014.

Winter 2014 (about Jan/Feb) was the start of the first Winter Warm-up / Winter What-evaa and my first fare reduction. We got our first, "Trust us. Lower rates will mean higher earnings for Drivers" BS. Uber did reduce their commission from 20% - 5% to "help". I did not read between the lines and actually thought the 5% Uber Commish was permanent since 5% actually seemed about right for a freaking App.

Then Uber poached the Safe Rides Fee (SRF) idea from Lyft (thanks Lyft...a_h_ l e s) and let us graciously know that Uber was collecting the SRF fee " On Behalf " of drivers. The SRF was $1 per Trip and Uber started out giving 100% of the SRF to Drivers. The base rate disappeared somewhere inbetween; it seems so so long ago in Uber Years that I'd have to check my Evernote Notes to see when the base was still part of the fare.

Yup, 5% commish to Uber and $1 per trip to the drivers in Winter/Spring 2014. By Summer/End of Summer 2014, 20% commish and that $1 SRF going 100% to the Uber Mothership - and the Big Bad Mean Unforgiving Rate Reductions had started. Along with this, the Uber Spin Machine starts going hard that " lower rates means higher earnings".

Am I whining? Am I asking for too much? What should my expectations be? How hungry am I? Will I be able to adapt? Show I be going hard as I can now to max out on earnings boost. Should I be hedging and finding more "non driving" part-time work to offset the end of earnings boost that will sure come sooner than later? Hmmm...

And Oliver Twist from the laureate Charles Dickens comes to Mind - " Please sir, I want some more ".

Child as he was, he was desperate with hunger, and reckless with misery. He rose from the table; and advancing to the master, basin and spoon in hand, said: somewhat alarmed at his own temerity:

'Please, sir, I want some more.'

The master was a fat, healthy man; but he turned very pale. He gazed in stupified astonishment on the small rebel for some seconds, and then clung for support to the copper. The assistants were paralysed with wonder; the boys with fear.

'What!' said the master at length, in a faint voice.

'Please, sir,' replied Oliver, 'I want some more.'

The master aimed a blow at Oliver's head with the ladle; pinioned him in his arm; and shrieked aloud for the beadle.

The board were sitting in solemn conclave, when Mr. Bumble rushed into the room in great excitement, and addressing the gentleman in the high chair, said,

'Mr. Limbkins, I beg your pardon, sir! Oliver Twist has asked for more!'

There was a general start. Horror was depicted on every countenance.

'For MORE!' said Mr. Limbkins. 'Compose yourself, Bumble, and answer me distinctly. Do I understand that he asked for more, after he had eaten the supper allotted by the dietary?'

'He did, sir,' replied Bumble.

'That boy will be hung,' said the gentleman in the white waistcoat. 'I know that boy will be hung.'

Last edited:

UberLaLa

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Winter 2014 was when I really started to drive. Signed up in late fall of 2013 but didn't hit the road until New Years 2014.

Winter 2014 (about Jan/Feb) was the start of the first Winter Warm-up / Winter What-evaa and my first fare reduction. We got our first, "Trust us. Lower rates will mean higher earnings for Drivers" BS. Uber did reduce their commission from 5% - 20% to "help". I did not read between the lines and actually thought the 5% Uber Commish was permanent since 5% actually seemed about right for a freaking App.

Then Uber poached the Safe Rides Fee (SRF) idea from Lyft (thanks Lyft...a_h_ l e s) and let us graciously know that Uber was collecting the SRF fee " On Behalf " of drivers. The SRF was $1 per Trip and Uber started out giving 100% of the SRF to Drivers. The base rate disappeared somewhere inbetween; it seems so so long ago in Uber Years that I'd have to check my Evernote Notes to see when the base was still part of the fare.

Yup, 5% commish to Uber and $1 per trip to the drivers in Winter/Spring 2014. By Summer/End of Summer 2014, 20% commish and that $1 SRF going 100% to the Uber Mothership - and the Big Bad Mean Unforgiving Rate Reductions had started. Along with this, the Uber Spin Machine starts going hard that " lower rates means higher earnings".

Am I whining? Am I asking for too much? What should my expectations be? How hungry am I? Will I be able to adapt? Show I be going hard as I can now to max out on earnings boost. Should I be hedging and finding more "non driving" part-time work to offset the end of earnings boost that will sure come sooner than later? Hmmm...

And Oliver Twist from the laureate Charles Dickens comes to Mind - " Please sir, I want some more ".

Child as he was, he was desperate with hunger, and reckless with misery. He rose from the table; and advancing to the master, basin and spoon in hand, said: somewhat alarmed at his own temerity:

'Please, sir, I want some more.'

The master was a fat, healthy man; but he turned very pale. He gazed in stupified astonishment on the small rebel for some seconds, and then clung for support to the copper. The assistants were paralysed with wonder; the boys with fear.

'What!' said the master at length, in a faint voice.

'Please, sir,' replied Oliver, 'I want some more.'

The master aimed a blow at Oliver's head with the ladle; pinioned him in his arm; and shrieked aloud for the beadle.

The board were sitting in solemn conclave, when Mr. Bumble rushed into the room in great excitement, and addressing the gentleman in the high chair, said,

'Mr. Limbkins, I beg your pardon, sir! Oliver Twist has asked for more!'

There was a general start. Horror was depicted on every countenance.

'For MORE!' said Mr. Limbkins. 'Compose yourself, Bumble, and answer me distinctly. Do I understand that he asked for more, after he had eaten the supper allotted by the dietary?'

'He did, sir,' replied Bumble.

'That boy will be hung,' said the gentleman in the white waistcoat. 'I know that boy will be hung.'
So very telling to read this account of Uber's greed over the past couple of years.

jaywaynedubya

1.50, made 90k one year.

Think it was like 1.80 when i started, trying to look at my old statements but they won't load.

Last edited:

Beur

5% then jumped to 20%

$2.75 mile $0.25 minute $6 minimum fare and $10 cancellation.

Within a few months Uber screwed that all up. Per mile dropped to $2.25, $0.25 minute, $5 minimum fare $5 cancellation and added $1 SFR to Uber. I've been through every rate change since, $1.75/$0.20 $1.45/0.15 $0.80/$0.12 to our current $1.15/$0.15

F213

20%
Ultra new though. Started summer of last year.

Unbelievable the app is somehow buggy and if not working in uber's tech favour. I remember making ticket after ticket cause trips wouldn't show up. Later I read here about all the lag and how things catch up in a few days.

ChevyVolt

I'm guessing 25%, but I'm on the east coast. We don't do math well...except for MIT and converting kilos. Only two exceptions. Uber is ultra-mega slow here in the Magic City where the heat index surpasses income and intelligence at every corner. We got guys trying to buy leases and fixing the airports on a good day and overflowing street toilets are commonplace fixtures on a bad one.