• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

What percent of riders tip?

BuberDriver

holy crap, 20% is horrendous!
you're telling me. I have a Lux vehicle and I'll take X rides from time to time and literally I've gone 10 straight rides with no tip before. Lux people almost never tip too. Everyone who gets in says I have such a nice car, I'm 4.96 so it's not like I'm a bad driver or anything...people are just cheap here

I could lose out on tips for X rides because they're almost always surge rides. But I do take non surge rides every now and then, getting compliments on the vehicle but not getting dollars in the tip department

Lovelife

Exotic dancers are my favorites. Aside from the obvious, they are always really nice, talkative, smell great and excellent tippers. The patrons from their clubs are the worst. Full of testosterone, grumpy from blowing all their money and rarely tip.

One night around Xmas last year, picked up a couple of cowboys from the strip club. One started crying actual tears wondering how he was gonna explain to the wife he spent $800 there and had blown all the Xmas present money for the kids. Few hours later I picked up a dancer from there who said she had a great night because of a couple of cowboys... $20 tip. Could only think of it as little Timmys Xmas gift money lol.
I have picked up few dancers and they could not pay me enough to watch them dance and they did not tip. Maybe they will tip if I picked them from their job rather than dropping them off at their job.
Post automatically merged:

Almost everyone tips a taxi driver. But not so for Uber (ironic, considering that they are saving money). It's funny the things people tip: hair lady, manicurist, delivery guy. But not the Uber driver.

I have found the best tippers are airport pickups.

What percentage of your riders tip?
I live in South Jersey and about 1/4 tip and outside of South Jersey 1/10 tip.

Coastal_Cruiser

Turns out she was testing me to see if I was bluffing about studying programming. She owns her own "Women in game development" company and she was just in Seattle attending a conference. She said when I get back to the East coast, look her up.
You should write a book.

----------------
There are many tip threads. I run 30-40%. I'm a terrible driver so I get by mostly on my good looks.

I tried to track every ride in the spreasheet I use to track income/expenses but Lyft doesn't have a CVS export facility and Uber's export is incomplete. Thus too much time to track. Hats off to those that do.

FLKeys

You should write a book.

----------------
There are many tip threads. I run 30-40%. I'm a terrible driver so I get by mostly on my good looks.

I tried to track every ride in the spreasheet I use to track income/expenses but Lyft doesn't have a CVS export facility and Uber's export is incomplete. Thus too much time to track. Hats off to those that do.
My market is pretty slow so I have plenty of time between pings to transfer data to a spreadsheet. I don't drive around looking for rides that are not there. I will drive to key spots, park and wait.

I also do other side work from my laptop while sitting around waiting for a ping, makes the wait tolerable.

DriverMark

When PAX ask my standard response:

"Only 10-20% tip. And what is worse, passengers who say they will tip in the app, only 10% of those actually do."

And for those that say they will tip in the app, I then add:

"Are you one of the 90% who lie about tipping me later in the app?"

Cassiopeia

30% >>>> It’s unfortunate >>>> could make a big difference because theoretically they are tipping on the fare total >>>> tips included BS will forever hinder tips and should be an ongoing settlement for every fare going forward

HonkyTonk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have started talking more candidly about tipping with my riders. When they ask how I like this job, I explain that without tips, it's sub-minimum wage. I think that has helped.....
Post automatically merged:

LOL "exotic dancers"... Ya mean "strippers" ? :laugh: