• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

What percent of riders tip?

HonkyTonk

Almost everyone tips a taxi driver. But not so for Uber (ironic, considering that they are saving money). It's funny the things people tip: hair lady, manicurist, delivery guy. But not the Uber driver.

I have found the best tippers are airport pickups.

What percentage of your riders tip?

Mkang14

Realistically, at least in the nor cal south bay, I would say about 35% of passengers. I've seen a major increase in tips from the last 2 years however. According to the sf board, the tip percentage is SF is even less.

In the past I also did a lot of commuting hours which are probably the worst for tipping. So really it depends on if you work the airports, commute, near restaurants, etc. I've noticed airport pax usually tip as well.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
Nice move.

I have to come up with some sort of angle like that to get more people tipping. My average is the opposite of yours. Maybe 1 in 5 of my pax tip.
I was an actual student though. You can still do this, but be prepared to answer questions about the subject you are studying because Pax will ask. Pick a topic you are knowledgeable in. I once had this girl say she dabbled in coding back in the day but quit because she just didn't get it.

She said didn't understand how some common coding concepts work. When I dropped her off, I parked for a few minutes to explain it to her. Also reminding her I was just a student and not a professor so this is my skill level at this point.

When I was done, she thanked me and handed me her card. Turns out she was testing me to see if I was bluffing about studying programming. She owns her own "Women in game development" company and she was just in Seattle attending a conference. She said when I get back to the East coast, look her up.

That's the best kind of tip in my opinion :thumbup:

UbaBrah

For me anywhere between 20 and 40% on any given week. But then I'm a pretty boring vanilla dude. The type in hoodies and jeans who eats spaghetti-o's for dinner. But I'm a good chatter, and they like my accent (from England originally). But I'm sure some people also find it creepy. It's one of those things like you either find it charming or you suspect I keep heads in my fridge.

I think having an angle or being semi-interesting helps. Probably also being female bumps it up slightly (or a lot if you're Lissetti).

Mkang14

For me anywhere between 20 and 40% on any given week. But then I'm a pretty boring vanilla dude. The type in hoodies and jeans who eats spaghetti-o's for dinner. But I'm a good chatter, and they like my accent (from England originally). But I'm sure some people also find it creepy. It's one of those things like you either find it charming or you suspect I keep heads in my fridge.

I think having an angle or being semi-interesting helps. Probably also being female bumps it up slightly (or a lot if you're Lissetti).
Trust me brah nobody finds a english accent creepy ❤?

mch

Jesus. Another one ? . Enjoy the accent thing my man. You could have no teeth and be wearing a stained "who farted" t-shirt and american women will suddenly think those things are charming. You could probably walk up to some of these women and say stuff that would get the rest of us pepper sprayed.

Also downgrade to sweatpants or basketball shorts. We aren't making Jeans $$$.

Yea I think being a female driver definitely bumps up the tip potential a little bit.

I can think of one female driver in particular that if she ever picked me up, (after I was able to regain my ability to speak) Id probably just hand her my wallet and tell her she could ruin my life if she wanted.

Last edited:

ABQuber

Same with exotic dancers
Exotic dancers are my favorites. Aside from the obvious, they are always really nice, talkative, smell great and excellent tippers. The patrons from their clubs are the worst. Full of testosterone, grumpy from blowing all their money and rarely tip.

One night around Xmas last year, picked up a couple of cowboys from the strip club. One started crying actual tears wondering how he was gonna explain to the wife he spent $800 there and had blown all the Xmas present money for the kids. Few hours later I picked up a dancer from there who said she had a great night because of a couple of cowboys... $20 tip. Could only think of it as little Timmys Xmas gift money lol.

Hooray5Stars

Almost everyone tips a taxi driver. But not so for Uber (ironic, considering that they are saving money). It's funny the things people tip: hair lady, manicurist, delivery guy. But not the Uber driver.

I have found the best tippers are airport pickups.

What percentage of your riders tip?
There was just an extensive study done on this topic actually:

1% of riders always tip
60% Never Tip
16% of Uber rides are tipped

30% of my rides are tipped so I'm beating the national average. The generosity of my 'community' is astounding!

Mkang14

LIsuberman

20% tips in NY suburbs, 5% cash - 15% on app on average for me , best tip to airport - $20 cash worst $1 on app or nothing ( i will tip you on the app) - which is about the same ! - an airport run means dead heading (empty) back - 2 major airports are in 5 borough's (JFK and LGA ) which is controlled by TLC just not worth it to go to airports when you have to come back empty - you are only making half.