• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

What Pax Really Means When They Ask "Full-Time or Part-Time?"

Do you agree with this post?

• yes

• no

• i'm deaf / mute and doesn't apply

Results are only viewable after voting.

baymatt

This question is always the start to a really awkward conversation where they are gauging right off the bat if you are worth talking to... literally.

"Do you do this Full-Time or Part-Time?"

really means, are you a minimum wage POS or do you contribute more to society than driving me to the gym?

I find this is most true in San francisco. East bay people not so much.

those superficial questions though really just feel like they are sizing you up. and you can tell when you say to them you drive full-time that they want to bathe in your shitty life for the 5 min ride so they can feel better when they take a breath of fresh air at their destination and never see you again.

either that or they just shut off and don't care (which is what i prefer. i don't like answering personal questions to someone who clearly nets more than 100k

REX HAVOC

They're either being nosy or they're just trying to make conversation. If they ask me that question sometimes I'll also ask them as well. Some folks have interesting jobs but most just have boring office jobs and wish they could escape.

I know it seems like they are judging you and maybe they are, but so what, this job doesn't define you. Just remember, you don't need to get their validation to be happy with your life. You're doing the best you can with what you've got and eventually you'll find something better if you choose to.

My advice to you is talk to everyone who engages you in conversation. You never know who you'll meet or what you might learn. Who knows, maybe your next job will be from the result of meeting one of your next passengers.

entrep1776

This question is always the start to a really awkward conversation where they are gauging right off the bat if you are worth talking to... literally.

really means, are you a minimum wage POS or do you contribute more to society than driving me to the gym?

those superficial questions though really just feel like they are sizing you up. and you can tell when you say to them you drive full-time that they want to bathe in your shitty life for the 5 min ride so they can feel better when they take a breath of fresh air at their destination and never see you again.

either that or they just shut off and don't care (which is what i prefer. i don't like answering personal questions to someone who clearly nets more than 100k
Why do that? Why not enjoy talking to them about whatever. Talked to last pax about food where he works and basketball tournament. Next pax about how she got abandoned by her friend at the bar. Pax not that often ask me full time part time. Most people like talking about themselves. I'm in central Illinois so might be different than Cali.

Disgusted Driver

I get it all the time and the first thing i say is I would starve if I did this full time. I'll talk to anyone though, also a chance to get a tip from them. Make something up, I have 7 dependents, add a little cancer and I'm happy I'm able to make a little extra to help them ... occasionally I can score a 10 or 20 with that.

Jagent

Pax - "So, you do this full time or part time? "

Me - "I do it when ever they let me out. I'm glad you're not going far, I have to be back by three or they start looking for me. I plan to go full time next year."

That's usually the end of it.

shiftydrake

Pax: do you drive this Uber full time?

Uber driver: no I dropped 13k to buy this car just to drive you to the airport this morning....

Pax: well thanks for doing THAT

Uber driver: sure no problem next time you want a pickup from the flea market or to go 3 blocks call me and if I'm still alive after feeding myself off your $7 12 mile ride call me so I will be able to eat again........believe it or not I actually enjoy eating more than once a week

entrep1776

Pax: do you drive this Uber full time?

Uber driver: no I dropped 13k to buy this car just to drive you to the airport this morning....

Pax: well thanks for doing THAT

Uber driver: sure no problem next time you want a pickup from the flea market or to go 3 blocks call me and if I'm still alive after feeding myself off your $7 12 mile ride call me so I will be able to eat again........believe it or not I actually enjoy eating more than once a week
New Uber Diet. Guaranteed to lose 15 lbs in 15 days!

shiftydrake

New Uber diet pill guaranteed to lose 15 lbs in 15 day/minutes only side effects are horrible anal leakage and occasional boughts of vomit and agonizing headaches and possible DVT (deep vein thrombosis) & possibly wanting to kill little puppies and small kittens not to be taken with alcohol unless you want to get MESSED UP !!.........if still interested in ordering please consult a psychologist to have your head thoroughly examined or just email UberSupport@contactUbernever.com

BoboBig

SF riders are the biggest POS in the world...implants that grew up in Idaho and never even been to a sixth grade dance so they are living out your late middle school and high school years now in their 30's...they never seen nothing....I tell them I work partime, and I can hold a convo with anyone....most feel intimidated by me to be honest and recognize that some of us Uber drivers are not all dumbasses! I could go on but it's late guys..zzzzzzzz

DocT

Yes, pax are sizing you up. Remember, pax want to feel SUPERIOR to you. After all, we are lowly Uber Drivers who are not even considered as people.

Kater Gator

Well I think riders just ask that full time or part time question because they are curious about if a person could make enough money driving to live on. They might actually be jealous of our work since we set our own hours etc. Don't be so paranoid!

Trafficat

I often tell them I drive only part time but that I don't do anything else. It isn't strictly true as I do some other gigs too and I often drive over 40 hours in a week, but it is my favored response.

I also learned from Drive 2 that 50 hours can still be part time:

REX HAVOC

I often tell them I drive only part time but that I don't do anything else. It isn't strictly true as I do some other gigs too and I often drive over 40 hours in a week, but it is my favored response.

I also learned from Drive 2 that 50 hours can still be part time:

I don't whether i should laugh or cry.