What Lessons Can Uber Learn From IN-N-OUT BURGER?

warsaw

Why Is In-N-Out Burger So Successful?
Awesome Companies / February 25, 2019 by Greg Trimble / 1 Comment

When I pull up to a double line up of cars extending out to the street and beyond, I can’t help but ask myself, why is In-n-Out Burger so successful?
How is it that you can build such an empire with essentially 3 simple products. A burger, fries, and a soda… (or a Neapolitan shake if you’re my kids)
how is in n out so successful

Even without going public or franchising its operations, In-N-Out Burger has managed to maintain its place as a staple in the American west coast. The burger joint has maintained a popular following for over 70 years, and this shows no sign of slowing down.
This leaves many others like myself to wonder how the regional chain has remained so popular over the years. Truth be told, there are a variety of reasons.
History of In-N-Out Burger
To fully understand the popularity and success of In-N-Out Burger, it’s important to look back at their history. After all, it’s the founders’ original vision that built the brand that people know and love.
Harry and Esther Snyder founded the company in 1948. Their inaugural location was in Los Angeles, and it was there they introduced California’s first drive-thru hamburger stand.
This forward thinking is a huge part of why the restaurant remains a success. The Snyders ignored the appeal of quick expansion and instead focused on only running an amount of locations that they could closely manage. This was a novel idea at the time, but it allowed the couple to ensure their quality never faltered. Customers knew to expect great food and service regardless of which location they visited.
history of in-n-out

The chain has also remained within the family since its inception. By the time the Snyder’s son Rich took over in 1976, there were 18 restaurants in the Los Angeles area. San Diego County was home to the first location outside of L.A., and 1992 saw the first opening of a non-California restaurant in Las Vegas. There were 93 restaurants by 1996, but by the end of 2018, this had increased to 342.
Keeping with the family tradition, the Snyder’s only grandchild, Lynsi, is the current owner.
Working at In-N-Out Burger
The historical innovation and focus on maintaining quality go a long way in explaining In-N-Out Burger’s success, but there’s obviously more to it. Another big part is their employees.
The restaurant constantly maintains high marks from customers, and this would be impossible without stellar workers. What is it, though, that makes these employees so great?
When it comes down to it, the company culture can fully explain it. In-N-Out has always paid its employees more than the required minimum wage. Studies consistently show that workers who receive fair wages are happier, more productive and more loyal to a brand. These relatively high wages also do wonders at attracting the best talent at all levels of the organization.
Additionally, other perks such as paid vacation, flexible scheduling and a focus on promoting from within keep workers happy. One look at the company’s Glassdoor page shows that employee ratings are higher than at most businesses. In fact, the biggest complaint is that it sometimes gets busy in the restaurant, but workers on the site say even this is manageable.
Post automatically merged: