• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

What kinda charger do you use?

SouthFLuberlady

Ok so I have an iPhone Max. Started today at 100% battery kept it charging on car charger stayed on line for 3.5 hours battery at 5%... this is the 2nd charger I’ve tried and it’s not the ports in the car bc I’ve tried both ports as well...

SubaruLegacy

To get maximum fast charge speeds on an iphone max you need a USB-C charger that supports USB-PD @18 watts and a USB-C to Lightning cable. I suggest Anker products, great warranties and solid construction. If you don't want to splurge on that expensive option, your next best option is to get a regular USB-A charger that puts out 12 watts, that's the maximum iphones will accept with a regular usb-A to lightning cable.

When you say ports in car, are you plugging into built in usb ports in your car? those aren't intended for charging modern phones, they are intended for you to connect to stereo system. They only put out 1 amp, which is only 5 watts. Your phone can easily use more than 5 watts resulting in a net loss of power.
Post automatically merged:

I had issues charging my ipad pro and then i ordered this from amazon, wow works great have camera and other phone connected tells me when battery is running low so i start car for a few and good to go
I'd be careful using one of those cheap chinese chargers, especially one promising such a large amount of power. Also you should definitely check your car's power socket/cigarette lighter can actually support 150 watts many cars are significantly lower, or max out 150watts (and remember if your car has more than one socket, often the number quoted is a total for all sockets combined!). If you attempt to draw to much power, your electronics can get damaged over time from getting really rough power, and eventually you'll blow the fuse and end up having to dig around replacing them.

Baron4266

The one i suggest works perfect for me, just trying to help it comes with fuses and i have it for 3 months no issues. Wait in airport for hours and blinks to tell me car battery is low. I have an sub also has inverter in back i don’t use. You should check your car spec for the lighter also. I dont get kickback from company its just what works for me.

Fredmiami

Ok so I have an iPhone Max. Started today at 100% battery kept it charging on car charger stayed on line for 3.5 hours battery at 5%... this is the 2nd charger I’ve tried and it’s not the ports in the car bc I’ve tried both ports as well...
I have never had that problem, make sure nothing is running in the background except the Uber App, Lyft. Is the phone charging at all? Go to the Apple store to have them do a diagnostic on the phone

SouthFLuberlady

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Bought a wireless charger mount and still that same thing... think ima have to go to the Apple store as much as I hate going there

GreatOrchid

uber app does drain alot problem i had was my car alt was going bad and thats how i figured it out car wouldnt charge phone cause alt was bad alternator 160000 miles bye alt
add that to making 7$an hour list car repairs

SouthFLuberlady

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
uber app does drain alot problem i had was my car alt was going bad and thats how i figured it out car wouldnt charge phone cause alt was bad 160 000 miles on it good bye alt
add that to making 7$an hour list car repairs
Worth checking into actually I have 145000 miles but I own the car and said I was gonna run it as long as it can run to make this extra cash (which sometime I question if I’m actually making extra cash and not just replacing the cash i spent) but the car doesn’t have any problems that yet but a trip to advanced auto parts to test alternator would be less time consuming than going to the apple store when car actually dies then bye bye Uber now way am I driving either one of my other cars on the platform.

SubaruLegacy

Bought a wireless charger mount and still that same thing... think ima have to go to the Apple store as much as I hate going there
A wireless charger for iPhone will charge at a Maximum of 7.5 watts if it's a fast charger. (Note apple is picky and some 10 watt Android wireless chargers will not do 7.5 watts. Regular qi wireless charger is only 5 watts.
Post automatically merged:

Worth checking into actually I have 145000 miles but I own the car and said I was gonna run it as long as it can run to make this extra cash (which sometime I question if I’m actually making extra cash and not just replacing the cash i spent) but the car doesn’t have any problems that yet but a trip to advanced auto parts to test alternator would be less time consuming than going to the apple store when car actually dies then bye bye Uber now way am I driving either one of my other cars on the platform.
Alternators aren't too bad of repair cost wise and they are a consumable part so at least it's supposed to break. What's really annoying is when stuff that isn't supposed to need replacing ends up breaking.

Almost all alternators are rebuilt/used. They take them apart and rewind with new wire. That's why they have a substantial core charge that you get back when you give them back your old alternator. I think if I remember the last one cost me maybe a little under $200.

I'm shocked that the 12 volt power was the first thing you noticed on a bad alternator, usually the dim headlights or trouble starting or something weird happens first.

Last edited:

george_lol

I use an s8+ with samsung charger designed for the device. Run, uber, lyft, maps, triplog, mystro for a while, screen always on, bluetooth, a couple of background loggers and phone, messaging and notifications are always there also. battery lasts ~4 hours and charger can recharge all the way up but I stop between 80 & 90%. I cycle the charging.