What kind of effect will ordinance have on uber drivers?

Do you think if it is required to have a finger print check this will limit the amount of drivers? Also, if they make the ceiling of surge at 1.5 this will limit the amount of drivers? Would this be good for uber? How much do you think Uber would increase rates if this happens?

BrandonUberKing

Do you think if it is required to have a finger print check this will limit the amount of drivers? Also, if they make the ceiling of surge at 1.5 this will limit the amount of drivers? Would this be good for uber? How much do you think Uber would increase rates if this happens?
If all of this passes...then uber and lyft need to hike up prices. I got no issue with fingerprinting. But the surge cap is BS. All these people that complained about the big surge few weeks ago will start complaining how there are no cars available at a drop of a hat if people stop driving. Uber and Lyft need to inform the riders to put pressure on the city officials and this tard Alderman to stop this crap...only then maybe something will change. Alderman says these ride share companies wont leave the city? I say leave for a week..will see how he handles people losing their damn minds. Lets be honest ride sharing is a thing of the present and future..people like it , its part of their day to day lives and if any of these companies fail someone else will come up and do it all over.

SuperStar3000

They tried the fingerprinting thing last year, when Uber & Lyft were threatening to leave town.
Uber relies on lots of part-timers, who will simply not bother to jump through any more hoops.
I am doing this full-time now, so I am in favor of anything that discourages over-saturation of the streets with more drivers.

Keep in mind that the proposal to cap surge rates would only apply to rare "unforeseen" emergencies.
A rock concert or a ballgame is NOT an "unforeseen emergency", and neither is a rainstorm or blizzard.
Those things are not unanticipated, and so would not affect the normal surges.
The law would apply to sudden calamities, such as terrorism, earthquake, zombie attack, or some such event - in which case nobody would want to be driving anyway, regardless of surge.

Of course, in light of the recent event which stimulated this proposal - the definition of horrendous calamity will need to be expanded to include yuppies who are running late for work.

Last edited:

pizza guy

It's actually a genius move for someone owned by the cab companies. Reduce the supply of drivers while at the same time reducing the ability of the ride share companies to position drivers to meet demand. Capping below cab rates is just ridiculous. 1.5x is not much higher than my threshold to be break even in Chicago.

The worrysome thing is that there aren't enough cabs left to meat the demand made up from lost ride share drivers.

Then again none of that matters. Beales only real goal is to temporarily drive up the price of medallions so his donors can cash out.

chitown73

They tried the fingerprinting thing last year, when Uber & Lyft were threatening to leave town.
Uber relies on lots of part-timers, who will simply not bother to jump through any more hoops.
I am doing this full-time now, so I am in favor of anything that discourages over-saturation of the streets with more drivers.

Keep in mind that the proposal to cap surge rates would only apply to rare "unforeseen" emergencies.
A rock concert or a ballgame is NOT an "unforeseen emergency", and neither is a rainstorm or blizzard.
Those things are not unanticipated, and so would not affect the normal surges.
The law would apply to sudden calamities, such as terrorism, earthquake, zombie attack, or some such event - in which case nobody would want to be driving anyway, regardless of surge.

Of course, in light of the recent event which stimulated this proposal - the definition of horrendous calamity will need to be expanded to include yuppies who are running late for work.
Actually the ordinance capping the surge pricing would include "inclement weather" such as a rainstorm or blizzard.
Although I do agree with you that those situations should not be classified as "unforeseen". Just more proof that Chicago politicians are some of the biggest crooks in the country.
This is taken from the Chicago Sun-Times website -

"If the full Council approves, surge pricing would be capped at 150 percent above the average regular fare set during the seven days preceding any “unforeseen emergency.”

That’s defined as “any actual or threatened terrorist attack, mass shooting, major disruption in public transportation, failure or shortage or electric power and inclement weather.”"

Mad Medic

Fingerprinting will lose some that shouldn't be allowed to Uber anyways. May also lose a few decent ones based on false hoods with printing.

Suge capped at 1.5? Well, that all depends on us in all actually. Supply versus demand. Uber would bet that there is plenty of supply. Lots of drivers out there that probably never drive surge unless it just happened to fall into their lap.

Its funny as hell when you see a driver in a 1.6 boost area leave that area to go to a 1.3 surge, only to arrive there 10 minutes after that crappy surge ended.

Had a pakastani with the Uber logo pull up next to me last night saying "You Uber. You need to go towards Navy Pier because its surging"

I said " No you go drive and hop on LSD for about 12 minutes and go get all that 1.3 for yourself, I'll just hang here for now and keep the measly 1.6 boost being offered.

Five minutes later that little 1.3 surge was gone, same as the night before. Surge aint lasting that long on a warm clear night with every third car on the road Uber.