What kind of car is everyone driving?

Alex12

i wanted to know what kind of car I should invest just for uber?
For Uber X you need a car that is max 10 years old and in good condition. You don t want a junkie for this job. A mid size sedan 4 years old you can get it around 15 k or less depending on miles and what trim level is. You can get your money back in 3-4 months if you work hard. If you DON T LIKE SPENDING TIME IN A CAR SHOP EVERY MONTH TO FIX YOUR CHEAP CAR then just buy a good one. Be sure you feel very confortable long hours on the car. I got my car for personal use and if I knew about Uber at that time I was getting something more comfy but now is done. Better car you have, better rating you will get. I always get compliments about my clean late model sedan and that adds to my very good rating. Good luck on Ubering. Oh I almost forgot GET THE BLACK INTERIOR BECAUSE THE CAR WILL GET DIRTY.

Reactions: gmc

elelegido

For Uber X you need a car that is max 10 years old and in good condition. You don t want a junkie for this job. A mid size sedan 4 years old you can get it around 15 k or less depending on miles and what trim level is. You can get your money back in 3-4 months if you work hard. If you DON T LIKE SPENDING TIME IN A CAR SHOP EVERY MONTH TO FIX YOUR CHEAP CAR then just buy a good one. Be sure you feel very confortable long hours on the car. I got my car for personal use and if I knew about Uber at that time I was getting something more comfy but now is done. Better car you have, better rating you will get. I always get compliments about my clean late model sedan and that adds to my very good rating. Good luck on Ubering. Oh I almost forgot GET THE BLACK INTERIOR BECAUSE THE CAR WILL GET DIRTY.
No offense, but your post has more holes than a kilo of Swiss cheese.

"A mid size sedan 4 years old you can get it around 15 k or less depending on miles and what trim level is. You can get your money back in 3-4 months if you work hard."

So you can make a net profit, after all expenses and income taxes, of $15,000 every 3 to 4 months? That's a net profit of $45,000 - $60,000 per year. Net profit is around half of gross revenue, so you'd be booking fares of $90,000 - $120,000 per year. Errrmmm............ nope! The gross fares myth of $90,000 per year bandied about by Uber in its ads and in its propaganda has already been widely debunked as nonsense; no need to do that again here.

"If you DON T LIKE SPENDING TIME IN A CAR SHOP EVERY MONTH TO FIX YOUR CHEAP CARthen just buy a good one."

What evidence is there that any car will require repairs each and every month? How do you know this? And as for "just buy a good one", what does this mean? As if buyers go out with the intention of buying a "bad" car, lol

Depreciation on the vehicle is one of the biggest expenses. Some markets allow vehicles from 2000 onwards. The pay is the same for a $1,500 2000 Taurus as it is on a $15,000 vehicle. Choose between near zero depreciation on the Taurus or hundreds of dollars per month on the $15k car. With pay exactly the same, to the penny, whether you spend $1,500 or $15,000 on a car, all you're doing is reaching into your own pocket to provide your pax with a newer car for them to ride around in, which is very nice of you, but all it gets you is possibly a higher star rating. :rolleyes:

Maintenance cost may be higher on an older vehicle, but not necessarily more than the decrease in profit you will see from the higher depreciation expense on the newer vehicle. It's all about finding the optimum balance - minimizing depreciation while maximizing fuel economy and reliability. Maybe a car like the Taurus is not that absolute, optimum vehicle, but it sure as heck is miles better than a $15,000 car at $1.xx per mile or even less gross revenue.

RockinEZ

"A mid size sedan 4 years old you can get it around 15 k or less depending on miles and what trim level is. You can get your money back in 3-4 months if you work hard."

So you can make a net profit, after all expenses and income taxes, of $15,000 every 3 to 4 months? That's a net profit of $45,000 - $60,000 per year. Net profit is around half of gross revenue, so you'd be booking fares of $90,000 - $120,000 per year. Errrmmm............ nope! The gross fares myth of $90,000 per year bandied about by Uber in its ads and in its propaganda has already been widely debunked as nonsense; no need to do that again here.

"If you DON T LIKE SPENDING TIME IN A CAR SHOP EVERY MONTH TO FIX YOUR CHEAP CARthen just buy a good one."

What evidence is there that any car will require repairs each and every month? How do you know this? And as for "just buy a good one", what does this mean? As if buyers go out with the intention of buying a "bad" car, lol

Depreciation on the vehicle is one of the biggest expenses. Some markets allow vehicles from 2000 onwards. The pay is the same for a $1,500 2000 Taurus as it is on a $15,000 vehicle. Choose between near zero depreciation on the Taurus or hundreds of dollars per month on the $15k car. With pay exactly the same, to the penny, whether you spend $1,500 or $15,000 on a car, all you're doing is reaching into your own pocket to provide your pax with a newer car for them to ride around in, which is very nice of you, but all it gets you is possibly a higher star rating. :rolleyes:

Maintenance cost may be higher on an older vehicle, but not necessarily more than the decrease in profit you will see from the higher depreciation expense on the newer vehicle. It's all about finding the optimum balance - minimizing depreciation while maximizing fuel economy and reliability. Maybe a car like the Taurus is not that absolute, optimum vehicle, but it sure as heck is miles better than a $15,000 car at $1.xx per mile or even less gross revenue.
elelegido is 100% correct.
The most I have cleared in the San Diego market is $2200 in a month, and I drove my kiester off.

I bought a certified used car (2013 VW Jetta) to drive to my old full time job, was laid off, and am driving that now for Uber. It cost $13k The payments take $330 out of every months Uber pay. I am putting over 200 miles a day on my Jetta while catching up on my bills with my new job and Uber. Not ideal.

If I was going to be driving Uber full time I would look for a $6000 - $8000 Honda, Toyota, Kia, etc. You are not going to find a hybrid for that money.

Ever listen to Car Talk on PBS. They nailed it years ago when they said there is no need to buy a new car most of the time. Just fix your current vehicle.

If you have any mechanical ability an auction car may be a good idea, but you have to have a mechanical background to make a good decision.

Alex12

You can make 800-1000 $ /week if you work like crazy. In 16 weeks that is 16k. K maybe I exaggerate a bit. A car with tons of miles will not be reliable for a livery job. Plus I said 15k or less. When you need a car to use it 30k a year it has to be good and old cars with 100k plus miles are not ok. An old car always require money. Now if your a mechanic or you have one in the family then is a different story. 70 hours a week with Uber x in North Jersey will bring you 1k a week. We don t calculate depreciation here. You buy a car to make you money. If that 15 k car brings you 100k in two years is perfect. You might sell it for 6-7k after that. Soo you only spend 3-4 k a year to make 50k. That is my math. Sorry my English I am not 100% fluent. Everybody thinks differently about things and about cars I believe that junks are not worth the money. I am a car guy and I like to drive nice and in good condition cars.

johnmiles

Gotta agree that older cars aren't as logical. You end up paying just as much on maintenance and keeping it running, if not more, than you would on a car payment.

Geeanywhere

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
my goal is to trade in my car eventually and get a used one. Now question is hybrid or not. I'd like to see opinions. So far being a newbie, last week I got 500 for only working 4 1/2 days. So goal is 2g a month for about 3 months and put a good down payment so I'd have less to pay off.

elelegido

Gotta agree that older cars aren't as logical. You end up paying just as much on maintenance and keeping it running, if not more, than you would on a car payment.
That's why knowing a little about cars and which ones to buy is a good idea if you drive for a living. The last car I owned was a G20, bought at 78,000 miles for $1,100 and sold three years later at 149,000 for $500. The only repairs it needed in 71,000 miles were a distributor and a fuel pump, bought used for $90 for both parts. Total depreciation over 3 years: $200 per year or $16 per month.

Now, that car would have been too old for Ubering, but this is the general idea. But you have to know what you are looking for and you only buy well maintained vehicles. If you don't know what you're doing then you could easily, as you say, end up buying a car on which you end up paying just as much on maintenance and keeping it running, if not more, than you would on a car payment.

johnmiles

Hybrid would be smart, with the great mileage it would increase your profit margin. Def go with used, don't get anything newer than 3 years old, first 3 years is when the most depreciation happens.

johnmiles

That's why knowing a little about cars and which ones to buy is a good idea if you drive for a living. The last car I owned was a G20, bought at 78,000 miles for $1,100 and sold three years later at 149,000 for $500. The only repairs it needed in 71,000 miles were a distributor and a fuel pump, bought used for $90 for both parts. Total depreciation over 3 years: $200 per year or $16 per month.

Now, that car would have been too old for Ubering, but this is the general idea. But you have to know what you are looking for and you only buy well maintained vehicles. If you don't know what you're doing then you could easily, as you say, end up buying a car on which you end up paying just as much on maintenance and keeping it running, if not more, than you would on a car payment.
Agreed but unless you're a car mechanic or know one its basically a gamble as to whether or not an older car you buy is going to be a money pit. Even if its known to be a reliable vehicle.

merkurfan

many cities are 2000 and newer..

The taurus is a good suggestion however it's hard on gas.

2000-2008 Chevy malibu with the 2.2 4 cylinder engine. Cheap, parts are everywhere, large enough for 5 with out any @@@@@ing.

RockinEZ

my goal is to trade in my car eventually and get a used one. Now question is hybrid or not. I'd like to see opinions. So far being a newbie, last week I got 500 for only working 4 1/2 days. So goal is 2g a month for about 3 months and put a good down payment so I'd have less to pay off.
The numbers are not constant. You can not say "last week I got 500 for only working 4 1/2 days" and make that work for you every week.

I do try to average $100 clear, but I don't always make that. What you want, and what you get are not always the same with Uber driving. It also slows down in the winter in some places.

Also if a driver is considering getting another car, they may want to get a vehicle that they can drive more than UberX with. UberXL and UberSUV should be considered depending on your market. They make more $$.

merkurfan

You can make 800-1000 $ /week if you work like crazy. In 16 weeks that is 16k. K maybe I exaggerate a bit. A car with tons of miles will not be reliable for a livery job. Plus I said 15k or less. When you need a car to use it 30k a year it has to be good and old cars with 100k plus miles are not ok. An old car always require money. Now if your a mechanic or you have one in the family then is a different story. 70 hours a week with Uber x in North Jersey will bring you 1k a week. We don t calculate depreciation here. You buy a car to make you money. If that 15 k car brings you 100k in two years is perfect. You might sell it for 6-7k after that. Soo you only spend 3-4 k a year to make 50k. That is my math. Sorry my English I am not 100% fluent. Everybody thinks differently about things and about cars I believe that junks are not worth the money. I am a car guy and I like to drive nice and in good condition cars.
Good lord.. Don't tell my 159K malibu that.. Looks near new, pax LOVE the space in it, ice cold air, I paid 220 plus fees and a few hundred bucks in parts for the needed repairs. My first 2 uber checks paid for it, the 3rd paid for the gas. Now the car is esentally pure profit and STILL worth more than I paid for it. If I wreck it, I'll likely get 4-500 bucks out of it in parts, or big money if it's the other drivers fault.

It's been more reliable than my wifes brand new Dodge Dart.. Her car has been in the shop 5 times in 1000 miles.. My Malibu.. Notta once in 6500 miles, but it is due for an oil change now. I see cabbies driving the malibus.. There is a reason for this. Cheap to buy, Cheap to run, Cheap to fix should it break down. Every salvage yard has at least a dozen of them. Same with the above mentioned Taurus.. The only reason I suggest the malibu over the taurus is the availability of the 4 cylinder in the malibu.

elelegido

Agreed but unless you're a car mechanic or know one its basically a gamble as to whether or not an older car you buy is going to be a money pit. Even if its known to be a reliable vehicle.
Not really - I'm not a mechanic but have driven 300,000 - 400,000 miles in Nissans, Hondas and Toyotas without major repair work needed.

merkurfan

The numbers are not constant. You can not say "last week I got 500 for only working 4 1/2 days" and make that work for you every week.

I do try to average $100 clear, but I don't always make that. What you want, and what you get are not always the same with Uber driving. It also slows down in the winter in some places.

Also if a driver is considering getting another car, they may want to get a vehicle that they can drive more than UberX with. UberXL and UberSUV should be considered depending on your market. They make more $$.
that brings up the next thought.. Best car for XL...

I thought about the mazda 5, but the US spec one is only a 6 seater, and honestly if you are over 6 your not gonna fit in the back seat..

So.. what would one buy? The caravan is everywhere, almost every cab company owns one and my wifes old 2011 got a 26+ mpg on the highway (we never did much city driving with it)...

elelegido

Good lord.. Don't tell my 159K malibu that.. Looks near new, pax LOVE the space in it, ice cold air, I paid 220 plus fees and a few hundred bucks in parts for the needed repairs. My first 2 uber checks paid for it, the 3rd paid for the gas. Now the car is esentally pure profit and STILL worth more than I paid for it. If I wreck it, I'll likely get 4-500 bucks out of it in parts, or big money if it's the other drivers fault.

It's been more reliable than my wifes brand new Dodge Dart.. Her car has been in the shop 5 times in 1000 miles.. My Malibu.. Notta once in 6500 miles, but it is due for an oil change now. I see cabbies driving the malibus.. There is a reason for this. Cheap to buy, Cheap to run, Cheap to fix should it break down. Every salvage yard has at least a dozen of them. Same with the above mentioned Taurus.. The only reason I suggest the malibu over the taurus is the availability of the 4 cylinder in the malibu.
Bingo. Give this man a gold star - this is exactly the way to do it.

I'm guessing it was an auction purchase?

merkurfan

Not really - I'm not a mechanic but have driven 300,000 - 400,000 miles in Nissans, Hondas and Toyotas without major repair work needed.
I have done likewise with GMs.. My work van is pushing 250K and my suburban is north of it. before that i had an express work van at 383,000 that I sold to a plumber.. he is still driving it today.