What it's like to be an Uber driver during the Super Bowl

darkshy77

UsedToBeAPartner

It is actually a well written article and a pretty good example of the Uber life. While he made what he considered to be good money, he was "told" he could make $1000 and ended up making less than $250. Rude riders, drunk riders, some good riders and chasing surges and passengers from here to there. If that's all a driver could make working the biggest game of the year and all of its associated parties then the real face of Uber comes to light. I wish the writer has focus more on the disappointment of reality instead of the poor driver failing to make life changing money.

darkshy77

It is actually a well written article and a pretty good example of the Uber life. While he made what he considered to be good money, he was "told" he could make $1000 and ended up making less than $250. Rude riders, drunk riders, some good riders and chasing surges and passengers from here to there. If that's all a driver could make working the biggest game of the year and all of its associated parties then the real face of Uber comes to light. I wish the writer has focus more on the disappointment of reality instead of the poor driver failing to make life changing money.
At a real fare price and no surge bs he would have made money

tripAces

Seems this Russ guy is setting himself up to get deactivated. Taking "another group of 5". Wow guess he had a SUV but said everyone grunted like they sitting on each other. Plus article said his car just out of the shop.
Also the guy mentioned Russ started driving without accurate destination. Which seemed like from the article could had ended up being a Taco Bell incident part 2.

Also even though Russ seems like a cool guy. Its the type of people Uber swarms on.

I wish Uber was mandated to give out the "rules of the road" but again the less people know its better for Uber.

irasnaika

Yep, all those out of town drivers and the driver signup "surge" killed the goose for everyone else.

Also heard Uber was loosening their vetting policy in order to on-board as many drivers as possible for the ~1million people visiting the city that weekend. Great for consumers;horrible for Uber drivers and others in transport industry.

UsedToBeAPartner

No matter how many drivers came in or were on-boarded, Uber stopped the surge after the Super Bowl. They can do as they please and this is just another example of them manipulating the system in their favor. They did not want to piss off the powers that be or the visitors to your great city with a huge surge so they set the top limit just over the 2x boost guarantee. That's just good public relations.

tohunt4me

http://www.si.com/mmqb/2017/02/16/nfl-super-bowl-51-li-parties-nightlife-events-uber-driver

Nice article on si.com about people and places you might recognize. "On the Friday before The Big One, we rode shotgun with an Uber driver desperate to cash in by shuttling revelers (with varying levels of rudeness and/or belligerence) around a rocking Houston."
They should have titled it:
" HOW I SLAVED FOR PEOPLE WHO PAID $10,000.00 EACH A TICKET FOR THE GAME BUT DID NOT TIP ME FOR AN 85¢ A MILE RIDE BACK TO THEIR $1,000.00 A NIGHT HOTELS !"

tohunt4me

No matter how many drivers came in or were on-boarded, Uber stopped the surge after the Super Bowl. They can do as they please and this is just another example of them manipulating the system in their favor. They did not want to piss off the powers that be or the visitors to your great city with a huge surge so they set the top limit just over the 2x boost guarantee. That's just good public relations.
Jack the motel prices up to $1,000.00 a night !
Charge $10,000.00 plus for game tickets !
BUT GAWD FORBID ONE SINGLE UBER DRIVER MAKES $2.00 A MILE !

Tom B.

They should have titled it:
" HOW I SLAVED FOR PEOPLE WHO PAID $10,000.00 EACH A TICKET FOR THE GAME BUT DID NOT TIP ME FOR AN 85¢ A MILE RIDE BACK TO THEIR $1,000.00 A NIGHT HOTELS !"
I picked up a guy at HOU for a downtown trip to the Embassy Suites Wednesday before Super Bowl. He was in town to complete the sale of his SB tickets for $5,000 each. You can guess how big my tip was. Nada!

tohunt4me

I picked up a guy at HOU for a downtown trip to the Embassy Suites Wednesday before Super Bowl. He was in town to complete the sale of his SB tickets for $5,000 each. You can guess how big my tip was. Nada!
Uber encourages this.
How many times has driver posted here about Pax asking for change for a $20.00 them tipping Valet with change not the driver !
Hotels don't SCREW THEIR PEOPLE LIKE UBER DOES !
At Commanders Palace in New Orleans,white tuxedoed door men rush out to open car door,I put 2 wheels up on sidewalk because there always seems to be water in gutter out front ,doormen get tipped for opening car door,I get squat !
They probably tip the guy handing them towels in the restroom but Screw the Uber Driver !

More Cowbell

Newbie Russ actually believed the kool-aide he could make 1000/nite. And didn't understand he would be instantly deactivated for someone riding shotgun by any of his pax reporting him.

Trebor

Newbie Russ actually believed the kool-aide he could make 1000/nite. And didn't understand he would be instantly deactivated for someone riding shotgun by any of his pax reporting him.

At least he was smart enough to hide is identity.

I am especially pleased with this writer, Tim Rohan, that he wrote about his tips. This article clearly shows tips are not included and most people do not even end up tipping.

More Cowbell

At least he was smart enough to hide is identity.

I am especially pleased with this writer, Tim Rohan, that he wrote about his tips. This article clearly shows tips are not included and most people do not even end up tipping.
Funny thing is, had 2 different rides from Sports Illustrated employees last week in town doing the model shoot. Think they tipped? Think again. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Trebor

Funny thing is, had 2 different rides from Sports Illustrated employees last week in town doing the model shoot. Think they tipped? Think again. :rolleyes:

Lol, I didn't think so. After all, the reporter of this article stated the guy received (1) $5 tip. (from other riders). I am pretty sure he did not tip himself.