What is Your Most Unusual Experience with a Passenger??

AllenChicago

Greetings Lyft colleagues!

I've only driven for Lyft, started in November 2015, only work 3 hours a day, and have just 57 rides under my belt. But I've already had a really memorable passenger experience...

Picked up a passenger 2 days ago who was super happy and almost drunk. Middle aged guy who moved to the USA from Lithuania a few years ago. I was to take him to a motel about 10 miles away.

He got in the car, introduced himself as Sergio, gave me a high-five and asked me to put on some Motown Music. I put the radio on a soul station. He was so thankful that he gave me a $20 cash tip before we left the apartment parking lot. ( I thanked him, of course.)

About 1/2 mile down the road, Sergio asked me to stop at the liquor store in front of us. He comes out of the store with liquor for himself, and gives ME a big bottle of gift wrapped red wine, along with an instant Lotto ticket.

When we get to the motel, Sergio suddenly remembers that he doesn't have enough money, because he's going to be with a high-class call girl who flew in from L.A. to "entertain" him that evening. He gives me his Chase debit card, PIN number, and asks me if I would mind going to an ATM, after dropping him off, taking out $500 and bringing it back to him. Since there was an ATM up the street, I agreed. When I got back to the motel, I went up to the room to give Sergio the $$$ and his Debit Card back. He excitedly opens the door, is butt naked, and his "entertainment" is just standing there fully dressed with her arms folded. (No $$$ no booty! :eek:)

Anyway, the commission on that trip was $12. But I also got a $20 cash tip, a $5.00 tip via the Lyft app, and a bottle of Merlot. Oh..and the scratch-off lotto ticket that Sergio gave me was an $8.00 winner!

If any of you have had really unusual experiences with passengers..or just while driving for Lyft in general, please share them. I bet those of you who do 100 rides a month must have some real doozies! T.I.A.

-Allen

Kerplunkenstein

Greetings Lyft colleagues!

I've only driven for Lyft, started in November 2015, only work 3 hours a day, and have just 57 rides under my belt. But I've already had a really memorable passenger experience...

Picked up a passenger 2 days ago who was super happy and almost drunk. Middle aged guy who moved to the USA from Lithuania a few years ago. I was to take him to a motel about 10 miles away.

He got in the car, introduced himself as Sergio, gave me a high-five and asked me to put on some Motown Music. I put the radio on a soul station. He was so thankful that he gave me a $20 cash tip before we left the apartment parking lot. ( I thanked him, of course.)

About 1/2 mile down the road, Sergio asked me to stop at the liquor store in front of us. He comes out of the store with liquor for himself, and gives ME a big bottle of gift wrapped red wine, along with an instant Lotto ticket.

When we get to the motel, Sergio suddenly remembers that he doesn't have enough money, because he's going to be with a high-class call girl who flew in from L.A. to "entertain" him that evening. He gives me his Chase debit card, PIN number, and asks me if I would mind going to an ATM, after dropping him off, taking out $500 and bringing it back to him. Since there was an ATM up the street, I agreed. When I got back to the motel, I went up to the room to give Sergio the $$$ and his Debit Card back. He excitedly opens the door, is butt naked, and his "entertainment" is just standing there fully dressed with her arms folded. (No $$$ no booty! :eek:)

Anyway, the commission on that trip was $12. But I also got a $20 cash tip, a $5.00 tip via the Lyft app, and a bottle of Merlot. Oh..and the scratch-off lotto ticket that Sergio gave me was an $8.00 winner!

If any of you have had really unusual experiences with passengers..or just while driving for Lyft in general, please share them. I bet those of you who do 100 rides a month must have some real doozies! T.I.A.

-Allen

let me see if I'm reading this correctly. You used someone elses atm/pin? Great way for him to go to the cops and say you robbed him.

soupergloo

I'm sure it was harmless in this case, but I would have never made a withdraw from someone else's account regardless if they knew the PIN to the card or not. You have no idea if that was even his debit card and could find yourself in a whole lot of trouble by doing a small favor for a passenger you don't even know.

It's also strange how this passenger was trying to butter you up before asking for the favor with cash tip, red wine & a lotto ticket.

AllenChicago

The Chase debit card was in his name, so I have no concerns about fraud. In my 20 years of insurance sales I've encountered weirder people, and far more extreme events, but this was my first one as a Lyft driver. Just interested in hearing what far-out experiences other Lyft drivers have encountered. That's all.

MikesUber

Man lol Sergio :eek: I don't know what I'd do there but probably wouldn't go up to his room. He'd have to meet in the lobby/more public space. Also I'd have him get the money out or no dice, he can take all the stuff back. There's forward facing cameras on those machines.

AllenChicago

Man lol Sergio :eek: I don't know what I'd do there but probably wouldn't go up to his room. He'd have to meet in the lobby/more public space. Also I'd have him get the money out or no dice, he can take all the stuff back. There's forward facing cameras on those machines.

When we pulled into the hotel parking lot, Sergio remembered that he didn't have the funds, and we were about to drive down to the Chase ATM, but the lady in the room called him, wanting to know what was taking him so long. That's when he gave me his debit card, PIN, room number, and asked me to go get the money. I omitted small details like that in the original post, for brevity.

Thatendedbadly

Hmmm, never noticed my Lyft app showing the pax's last name, may be I wasn't paying attention. Taking a stranger's debit card and making a cash withdrawal for them? And if the card had been stolen, guess who's mug shows up on the surveillance video footage? Btw, Sergio is a fairly common name in many parts of the world. My level of trust is obviously a lot lower than yours.

AllenChicago

March 1, 2016

Another first-timer today. The passenger was a heavy shoebox-sized package named JOHN. Picked up "John" from a manufacturing company and delivered it to another division of this manufacturing company, 36 miles away. It was really nice driving this silent passenger. No distractions. And since it was snowing here, the lack of chit-chat was welcome.

Are package deliveries somewhat common? After 78 rides given, this was my first non-living passenger.

macchiato

I had a car key delivery from Beverly Hills to Glendale (CA). Was really nice not having to hobnob with a Pax for once (until the drop).

Contuber

I wouldn't take a delivery. You never know what's in the package (a bomb? drugs?), and never know how much time will you waste if nobody's waiting for you.

AllenChicago

May 25, 2016

This wasn't a passenger experience, but I'll relate it here anyway. Today, I was sitting on the street waiting for a PING from a regular passenger in Palatine, Illinois. This guy drives up into his driveway, walks out to my car, asked if he could help me. I said, "No Thanks. I'm OK." He then demands that I move my car from in front of his house, saying that it was against the law to park on that street. I pointed out that there was another car parked on the street 3 houses down. He called me a smart-ass, and asked if I wanted him to call the police. I told him that would be fine with me. He called the police and then took a photo of my license plate, and a close-up of me sitting in the car.

Just then, the PING came in. I told him that I had to go and wished this irate homeowner a nice evening. You guys think I should go back and park in front of his house again tomorrow? :cool:

eman1122

May 25, 2016

This wasn't a passenger experience, but I'll relate it here anyway. Today, I was sitting on the street waiting for a PING from a regular passenger in Palatine, Illinois. This guy drives up into his driveway, walks out to my car, asked if he could help me. I said, "No Thanks. I'm OK." He then demands that I move my car from in front of his house, saying that it was against the law to park on that street. I pointed out that there was another car parked on the street 3 houses down. He called me a smart-ass, and asked if I wanted him to call the police. I told him that would be fine with me. He called the police and then took a photo of my license plate, and a close-up of me sitting in the car.

Just then, the PING came in. I told him that I had to go and wished this irate homeowner a nice evening. You guys think I should go back and park in front of his house again tomorrow? :cool:

Absolutely!

MattyMikey

May 25, 2016

Oh hell yes! Do it everyday! :wink:

AllenChicago

OK...thanks for the advice gentlemen. If a person has your license plate, can they track down who you are and where you live? I don't want to escalate this into something that could be destructive. Obviously this man isn't emotionally stable.

Kerplunkenstein

Unless they're a cop, highly unlikely. Also whats to stop someone from getting the license of a non-uber driver and 'tracking them down'

Danz Haagen

The Chase debit card was in his name, so I have no concerns about fraud. In my 20 years of insurance sales I've encountered weirder people, and far more extreme events, but this was my first one as a Lyft driver. Just interested in hearing what far-out experiences other Lyft drivers have encountered. That's all.
well, my suggestion to you is NOT to do anything that is not written in the lyft regulations. drivers like you bent rules and then drivers like me have to tell them to go Fk themselves. i am not gonna be anyone b-ch for any amount of tip. They give tip for safe ride, good conversation etc. not licking their rectums. pardon my french.