What is the lowest pax rating you will accept?

hostertully

I'm curious what you guys think. What is the lowest rider rating you'd accept?

I started out sticking to a >4.6 rating policy, but find myself breaking this rule on quieter periods. And there seems to be more of those quiet periods these days, and more and more riders with ratings close to 4.6..

I've bent my rule a couple of times and have picked up riders with less than 4.6. One example that I remember is a 4.5 star rider I picked up in the early evening and could not work out why he was rated so low.

But wait, is that a low rating??? 4.5 is 90%...

but in the Uberuniverse, that is cause for expulsion. (for drivers at least)

He was a decent guy, had a great chat, etc... I 5 starred him, which probably would have only lifted his average a tiny bit.

Are drivers rating some riders too harsh? Or is something like a 3.9 (ie 78%) star rating actually not that bad and Uber are setting unrealistic expectations for everyone? Remember 4.6 rating is a 92% rating. Its like Uber expects near perfection. You are only 1 slip up away from being disqualified. It would only take 1 thing to lower your average rating under this system. It is easy for your average to fall, yet much harder to build the average back up. And to think there is no guideline to this rating system, it is totally arbitrary, yet so crucial for drivers.

Lando74

Depends on the time of day. I'll go as low as 4.3-4.4 in the afternoon and early evening. The later it gets I'll stop accepting below 4.7. That said, I have picked up some sub 4.5's at bar close and they've been perfectly fine. I'm sure some people have low ratings for things their friends have done. I give 1 star every time I have a puker, even though it's rarely the one who pays that vomits. It's not an exact science.

Avenig

Depends if it is day or night and how desperate I am for a ride. In the day time possibly 4 is the minimum. Night time 4.4*

MyRedUber

Anyhow, the passenger's rating is in such small type that I can't read it. (Probably deliberate by Uber.) Therefore, I take everyone.

O

owjan

5* person is really a kinder surprise. Never know who U pick up. But if I am desperate, I accept 4.5 even. Happy to accept 5* and educate him during the trip.

Jazzy

You look at the rating before committing to the job? Once I hear the bing of a request, it's almost an instant reaction now to hit the screen to accept. In the 200ish jobs I've had there hasn't been that many bad riders, certainly none that I've rated lower than a four.

uberboy77

I've lowered to 4.2 these days. And it's going ok. I may drop to 4.1 over this last week before I hit full time work again. Might even try my luck with taking whatever comes up and reporting back my experiences.

5 stars can be newbies and dangerous for ratings. There can be some need for some smooth talking about the rating system without trying to sound desperate for 5 stars.

Last edited:

Lando74

You look at the rating before committing to the job? Once I hear the bing of a request, it's almost an instant reaction now to hit the screen to accept. In the 200ish jobs I've had there hasn't been that many bad riders, certainly none that I've rated lower than a four.
They'll come.

mccabey75

I ignore them completely if u just have a read of the forum you can see that similar to some riders ,some drivers give less than 5* for ridiculous reasons ,short ride,they went to airport,bad vibes,the had an accent etc etc.in fact if anything I'm a bit leery of a 5 which more often than not means first time rider who's gonna rate you a 4 thinking their giving a good score.I would be be hesitant below a 4 but iv never had one yet.

TheWiseOne

I'm hearing ya mate, once I hear that ping I accept straightaway. Much prefer to be constant with trips than being too selective and waiting around. With the over-saturation of drivers and fares dropping soon, doubt many drivers will be screening requests.

MyRedUber

I suspect it's only drivers who come to the online forums who refuse passengers who have lower ratings.
I suspect it's only drivers who come to the online forums who give passengers low ratings for silly reasons.
Not necessarily the same drivers, nor all drivers who come to the online forums.

Drivers who don't feel a need for these forums just get on with it.

uberboy77

I suspect it's only drivers who come to the online forums who refuse passengers who have lower ratings.
I suspect it's only drivers who come to the online forums who give passengers low ratings for silly reasons.
Not necessarily the same drivers, nor all drivers who come to the online forums.

Drivers who don't feel a need for these forums just get on with it.

Like I have said before, this is where misery comes looking for company. :smiles:

MyRedUber

I scored all of my less-than-five-star ratings in my first two days of UberXing. So I accept all pings, until circumstances change.

Eastern Uber

Late at night, particularly Fri/Sat nights, anything under 4.5 gets ignored. During the day, 4.2/4.3 but also depends upon where the request is coming from. I know some addresses are backpacker hostels with regular idiots who just like to make you wait, are often very drunk, have unrealistic demands etc etc, so the known shitty addresses, I often ignore all pings.

Iuber

I cancel trips from Chinese riders, they are bad for my rating...am I racist? LOL.

Seriously, the Chinese riders believe 4* is good enough. They seem to treat rating like gold. I don't like Uber rating system, I find it childish and I just give away 5* like feeding pigeons.

Last edited:

Dissendat

Copy and pasted from another thread, but it is relevant:

I picked up a 1* passenger this afternoon. It was a middle aged woman and her friend. They had a pleasant conversation with each other in the backseat then I dropped them off at Ivy (too old to be clubbing, must have gone to dinner). I even said that I will have to drop them off on Hunter Street because I can't stop on George Street as I don't want a ticket and she said that it was safer too.

In fairness though, 1* more than likely means she only took one ride before. And she probably got someone from this forum and was given 1* because she had a green shirt on, size 7 shoes, brown hair, took longer than 2.38593 seconds to get in the car, only went 30km in a 5x surge, blinks, and is a sentient human being.

I gave her 5*.

The worst passengers are usually 5* as they are new. I had one guy trying to get me to pick him up on the corner of George and Druitt streets. He wasn't even standing on the corner (nobody had that "I'm looking for my Uber" look where he said he was). I drove around the block twice and he called me the second time. It was after 5 minutes so I cancelled the ride and got the cancellation fee.

UXDriver

I cancel 5 stars unless surging

I ignore 4.6 and below at all times

Not interested in rude customers

MyRedUber

I cancel 5 stars unless surging
You could be cancelling some genuine 5 star passengers, not just newbies.
And not all newbies to UberX are inexperienced and rate low.

These forums breed contempt for customers. #JustSaying
Some say to delete the app and get a life. I recommend to delete the forum and get on with your life.