What is the law on where I can pickup?

Arkaxow

I just signed up with Lyft, but have been a Uber driver for more than a month. The mentor said that there was some law where if I live in New Jersey I can pickup drivers only in New Jersey and can dropped them off anywhere. However she said that I cannot pickup drivers outside my home state of New Jersey. She said there was an exception in Center City Philadelphia. So where can I find out the law so that I don't get in trouble? Uber never said anything about this when I signed up. Or it was in the fine print of legalize which nobody reads.

PorkRollUberAndCheese

I just signed up with Lyft, but have been a Uber driver for more than a month. The mentor said that there was some law where if I live in New Jersey I can pickup drivers only in New Jersey and can dropped them off anywhere. However she said that I cannot pickup drivers outside my home state of New Jersey. She said there was an exception in Center City Philadelphia. So where can I find out the law so that I don't get in trouble? Uber never said anything about this when I signed up. Or it was in the fine print of legalize which nobody reads.

Sigh. Technically Uber is illegal in NJ but a majority of the cops will look the other way. The most paramount things you have to understand is to DRIVE SAFELY. Don't block traffic, don't pick up in the middle of the street.

As an Uber driver, the app (not the laws) will allow you to pick up in NJ, Delaware, Maryland, and CT. If you get inspected in PA and get a Penn Dot sticker, you can pick up in PA legally OUTSIDE of Philly. However, the app will allow you to pick up in Philly.

Ben105

Is it a law or a Lyft rule. I know for most locals, you can't pick up outside your home state unless you live in a place where states are extremely close like DC.

Skyhakw2472

I was in Baltimore back in November and Uber app wouldn't allow me to sign in. Lyft allowed me to sign in and figured I would try to get the power bonus (which was based on time back then) and I received a ping within 5 minutes of having the app on. I cancelled as I wasn't planning on driving then. I thought it would be like New York where you wouldn't receive any pings even though the app was on.

njn

Either the mentor is purposely hiding the facts or is ignorant of the laws. Not sure which one is worse.

I have read positive stories of Uber going to court representing the drivers for illegal taxi violations and reimbursing the fines. Does Lyft have the same support with these violations?

pharmboy

Why would you be picking up drivers? Your job is to pick up passengers? Are you an Uber Plant?

Xris Xros

Lol. You are not legal to pick up anywhere in NJ. You can get a ticket anywhere in NJ. Trust me I was just coming from court. To be honest though my ticket was dismissed. Uber has good legal team I guess.

CSA

Lol. You are not legal to pick up anywhere in NJ. You can get a ticket anywhere in NJ. Trust me I was just coming from court. To be honest though my ticket was dismissed. Uber has good legal team I guess.

I'm brand new to this, may I ask were you got popped and what the scenario was like?

reg barclay

As above, technically illegal in all of NJ, however most places cops either seem to not know and/or not care. The places where they do ticket you can learn about on this forum, they seem to be areas with highly regulated taxis.

Still waiting for the quote from NJ code paragraph blah blah blah subsection blah blah blah..

CSA

As above, technically illegal in all of NJ, however most places cops either seem to not know and/or not care. The places where they do ticket you can learn about on this forum, they seem to be areas with highly regulated taxis.

Still waiting for the quote from NJ code paragraph blah blah blah subsection blah blah blah..

That's what I gathered from combing through this site. Notable taxi presence = Increased Risk. It's pretty incredible that Uber doesn't give new drivers ANY information on this topic. They just set you up and send you out.