Uber Drivers Forum banner

What happened to the surge?

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  stevedmc 
#1 ·
The early morning and 3-5pm surge seems to have dissapeared. Saturdays have been slow too. It's not worth driving around this city's shitty streets at standard rates.

#2 ·
Surge is dictated by demand and the amount of cars available.

If it does surge occasionally on the weekend, it goes away in a matter of minutes if not seconds.

The airport queue has double to triple the amount of cars it had in the past. Not to mention the people posting their pay statements on facebook! Now anyone who sees that wants to drive.

People have rental cars from Uber and Lyft. They are paying $260/week or more for these cars. The rental fee is deducted before they make a dollar. They must have to drive constantly to make a living.

Now do you get the picture?
Until people see how hard it will be to make a living and turn these cars in, none of us will make money. You can also forget about high surges.

A taxi cab driver from out of town asked me if Uber and Lyft were regulated here.
Where he lives, the number of taxis allowed to operate depends on the number of residents in the area.
They cannot let every citizen drive a taxi if they choose to.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure none of this S_ _ T is REGULATED IN THIS CITY. It never even crossed their minds. They would let every citizen drive and continue to rent cars to them at these ridiculous prices.

Uber once says they would like to have a car for everyone. Then, whose riding if everyone is driving?

TOO MANY DRIVERS ON THE STREET= No surge and no money!!!!!!!

Sorry about the rant but this is becoming more of a stressor than the pleasant REAL JOB I enjoyed in the past.

#5 · (Edited)
The early morning and 3-5pm surge seems to have dissapeared. Saturdays have been slow too. It's not worth driving around this city's shitty streets at standard rates.
I need to replace the $380.00 plastic pan under my car DESTROYED by potholes.
NO NEED TO TIP !
Customers get alarmed when they hear pieces of it scraping going down the road. They think its brakes. My car turns 3 years old next month.
Need to replace the seats from pukers.

NO NEED TO TIP !

What is this " SURGE" that you speak of ????
A new Uber virtual sticker ?

Notice airport runs are pretty difficult to get these days as well. I was easily getting four airport runs in a four hour block just two months ago. Those days are long gone.

See what happens when people start bragging?
You must park in the alleys behind hotels to be " closer" when they order from rooms.
Hang out by the bed and breakfasts, too much saturation at the big hotels.
( when I pick up or drop off a tourist at a hotel,I ALWAYS ask how long they are staying,when are they going home,did they fly . . .
With conventions,I even ask which groups are going home on which days ! RESEARCH !)

Remember that woman who's daughter worked at a hotel ?
She would sit and drink coffee with free parking waiting for pings . . . how can you compete with that ?

Notice airport runs are pretty difficult to get these days as well. I was easily getting four airport runs in a four hour block just two months ago. Those days are long gone.

See what happens when people start bragging?
I used to get 5-7 airport runs EVERY morning !
( it would subsidise all the $3.00 trips ! Ever notice,ALL the bad ratings come from $3.00 rides ?)( some people will call Uber for a 5 block ride.in good weather !)
Then Uber started hiring their own customers as drivers
Can't tell you how many people I've driven to car lots. They all plan to drive for Uber.
Why pay Uber when Uber can pay for your car ?

#6 ·
Surge is dictated by demand and the amount of cars available.

If it does surge occasionally on the weekend, it goes away in a matter of minutes if not seconds.

The airport queue has double to triple the amount of cars it had in the past. Not to mention the people posting their pay statements on facebook! Now anyone who sees that wants to drive.

People have rental cars from Uber and Lyft. They are paying $260/week or more for these cars. The rental fee is deducted before they make a dollar. They must have to drive constantly to make a living.

Now do you get the picture?
Until people see how hard it will be to make a living and turn these cars in, none of us will make money. You can also forget about high surges.

A taxi cab driver from out of town asked me if Uber and Lyft were regulated here.
Where he lives, the number of taxis allowed to operate depends on the number of residents in the area.
They cannot let every citizen drive a taxi if they choose to.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure none of this S_ _ T is REGULATED IN THIS CITY. It never even crossed their minds. They would let every citizen drive and continue to rent cars to them at these ridiculous prices.

Uber once says they would like to have a car for everyone. Then, whose riding if everyone is driving?

TOO MANY DRIVERS ON THE STREET= No surge and no money!!!!!!!

Sorry about the rant but this is becoming more of a stressor than the pleasant REAL JOB I enjoyed in the past.
Uber PYRAMID SCHEME.

Uber's goal is to get as many driver's as possible, partly because of attrition. They would like to dominate the market, and force taxi's out of business. They then would replace remaining driver's with driver-less cars. their end game is to have us depend on them, and not own a car, or hire out a taxi...
Destroying YOUR CAR is part of Ubers plan !
That's why they don't pay you enough to replace it !

#8 ·
Quit giving the new guy good advice. I was hoping I could trick him into buying a new car.

Remember when people went out and bought cars before the last rate cut?
Uber encourages it.
More mileage slaves working Longer hours trying to avoid drowning
Then Uber TELLS all the new drivers where to be and at what times.
We had to figure it out at OUR EXPENSE.
UBER GIVES OUR DATA AWAY TO OUR COMPETITION !

NO NEED TO TIP !

#11 ·
Thankfully Uber has plenty of new drivers that are willing to do the work for you.

It's even cheaper to vomit in a car these days!

You all should try Lyft I seen it surge before a little at around 3 pm or close. Was very interesting as a rider!

I always leave a tip as well and that is why I use Lyft exclusively until Uber adds a tip option! Hopefully soon.
I like Lyft. I really do.

The problem with Lyft is you don't know if your ride is a surge until after its over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.