Fostel

Dear UberPeople!

I am reading this forum since a while but now I decided to speak as I seriously need to get some advice from you guys ASAP.

I am living in the UK and I am a licensed private hire driver.

I have been researching since months and I still have no clue what car to buy. Recently I almost got a lease contract for Toyota Auris Touring Sport 1.8 Hybrid (£26.000) but luckily I found this forum and many people here advising against lease, new or expensive cars for ubering.

At the moment I am looking for a used car for around £10.000

I am a father of two little children, so I am looking for comfortable, safe and reliable estate cars as we need more luggage space when visiting family or going for holidays. I will be doing long distance trips like 1,000 miles in row few times per year, that is why I am considering diesel.

I know many of you would suggest hybrids for the city job but I am not impressed of their mpg on a highways or reeving noise when accelerating.

To sum up I would like to ask you, experienced (uber) drivers some questions:

1) What car to choose, what car would you suggest?
2) Hybrid or diesel?
3) Manual or automatic?
4) How old or how many miles on the clock the car should have to be worthy? (In London we suppose to get car less than 5 years old, btw.)

Thanks in advance to anyone who will find the time to post a reply.

Best regards,
Fostel

Last edited:

Fostel

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Older 330d touring?
Looks impressive inside out.
I never really took BMW's into account as I reckon they're expensive to run (insurance and parts). Am I right? Have you got personal experience with 330d touring? What motor you are pointing at?

Thanks for your contribution.
Fostel

Adieu

Looks impressive inside out.
I never really took BMW's into account as I reckon they're expensive to run (insurance and parts). Am I right? Have you got personal experience with 330d touring? What motor you are pointing at?

Thanks for your contribution.
Fostel
I got a 2011 bmw 335d sedan with ~160,000 mi... but I'm in USA, we only had 6 cylinder diesels (d's in model name) in sedans and only 2009-2011 (and 4 cyls 2012-2016 - but those are still too expensive, more money for less car)

USA 35d's come with extra things to go wrong, specifically twin turbos and DEF, SCR, EGR, etc... if you can find the similar but simpler 330d in an earlier year with less emissions equipment, you'll have a great car. Touring is definitely a plus, since the extra luggage space would be a help.

My main issues and costs have been with tires, but that's due to the previous owner going with huge 19" rims with tiny tires.... 3 "catastrophic" failures (though on low profiles the absolute destruction of a tire doesn't mean the car tries to kill you.... just that you gotta stop, use a can of tire goop, and limp to a tire shop for replacement) and like 5 more worn down to the cords (monstrous torque plus driving like a psycho plus never redid rear alignment after getting rearended)... and one destroyed rim plus mangled control arm - brushed past a kerb maybe 1-2mm too close and managed to hit it with the edge of the rim)

Haven't really had any engine issues, but that might change at next inspection since I seem to have a couple codes causing an SES (check engine) light....operates just fines, but will have to be addressed in 1.5 years to pass the next CA smog inspection

oh and blew one belt and one hose due to neglecting replacement intervals, but that was just me being an idgit... both of those should have been replaced 10-20,000 mi earlier.

Last edited:

Adieu

PS

330d *is* a specific motor... the model is 3-series (3er in German), 30d is the motor - 3.0 liter turbo diesel . What I have is 35d, the 3.0 liter twin turbo version of the same.

Wouldn't know about brit insurance, wouldn't really know about parts either since mine hasn't really needed much of anything