What do YOU hate about UberPOOL?

Inshur

Uberinian

I just read this:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/28/technology/uber-uberpool-timeouts/index.html?iid=hp-toplead-dom

It states that Uber is punishing people who dont accept uberpool rides by giving them a 15 minute lockout.
I find this funny because if I am locked out for 15 minutes, I will simply use Lyft, lol.

Anyway why dont YOU like UberPOOL?

My personal reasons:

1. You can't use Waze for UberPOOL. You MUST use Google Maps for some unknown reason. I absolutely hate Google Maps for driving. Dosn't avoid traffic, gives wrong directions, makes you make turns illegally, etc. Lyft lets you use Waze for LyftLINE, I don't see why Uber makes you use Google maps?
  2. You have no power to accept or decline the second, or third passenger. You see an UberPOOL request from a driver with a 4.8 rating, cool! you accept. Once you pick them up, it AUTOMATICALLY accepts the second passenger, whoever that maybe and says "NEW DRIVER FOUND - REROUTING!". That second driver maybe someone with a 3.9 rating. Even if you cancel on the second driver, they will request again imminently after and guess what? its automatically added again. And then when they come in they say "why did you cancel"? Because you had a low rating, DUH! You simply have no control over the second passenger.
  3. Its stressful picking up multiple people. You might end up picking up as much as four different people in your crowded car. Imagine 3 or 4 completely different people in your car. One might be playing loud music, one might be sleeping and snoring, etc. This leads me to number 4, which is...
  4. Lowers your rating because of #3.
  5. The pay isn't worth it for the stress involved with UberPOOL. You really aren't making more money because you "wait less between riders". This is just marketing.
  6. It may add a second rider to your route even if you are close to passenger #1's location! Think about it... you are so close to the passenger's destination and then out of no where you HAVE to go pick up the second person and this creates frustration for you and the passenger in the back, especially the passenger since he or she is so close to home and you have to be taken off route to go accept someone else.
  7. It's a complete and utter disaster. I will NEVER EVER accept UberPOOL again. The whole system needs huge improvements for drivers. You can penalize us all you want for not accepting them, so we will simply open the Lyft app and work for them. UberPOOL is a disaster.

So again, why dont YOU like UberPOOL?

Sober/Uber

The reason you can't use Waze is because it will take you to destination within shortest period of time. Uber's idea is to keep you off highways where there are no passengers to be picked up. It results in longer time at $.35 cents per minute and usually shorted distance to destination. In other words driver spends more time to reach destination than usual. That is why Uber Pool is a losing proposition to drivers.
Personally, I stopped accepting pool rides about 4 weeks ago. In the beginning Uber was sending threatening messages to me (which I ignored). But lately they stopped, I am not getting threats any more.

alextheboss

If the drivers rate of pay went up incrementally as more riders were added to one pool+a base fare for every pick up most drivers would be happy using pool IMO .... But we don't and instead we get a very distracted drive for lousy pay.

If riders only got a discount when their rides got matched, and that discount increased as more riders were added then they would be happy to share their rides. As it stands they have no incentive to want to share the ride since they get the discount regardless.

Lenny_yellow_cab

If the drivers rate of pay went up incrementally as more riders were added to one pool+a base fare for every pick up most drivers would be happy using pool IMO .... But we don't and instead we get a very distracted drive for lousy pay.

If riders only got a discount when their rides got matched, and that discount increased as more riders were added then they would be happy to share their rides. As it stands they have no incentive to want to share the ride since they get the discount regardless.
Pax once asked if we get paid double for UberPool... I said i wish.

They always shortchange the driver by miscalculating the miles and time.

I notice because i took a pool ride from jfk just to test it out. Google maps said 15 miles to first drip off.... Uber claim it was 8 miles :/

Montgomery

Bottom line is that there isn't a monetary incentive for the driver to do a pool ride. Uber doubles or triples what they make and the driver gets a third of that and that's not counting the added expenses of having more passengers in the car. That said, I do Lyft lines because I always go for the Power Driver Bonus and that makes a difference and plenty of times I get tips.

_McUber_

I can add to Uberinian's list my own reasons for detesting UberPool:
- Many riders do not know they have requested it:
If they are the first rider, then on my way to the second I get: Sir where are you going /taking me? And if they are still the first rider and the second rider cancels as I pull over in front of their location after I made a useless 8 minute detour around a block off the original route, then I get: Sir, you are going in circles, do you know what you are doing? Imagine, the request and cancellation by a second rider is repeated, how insane I have to go along with the poor soul in my car. Now let's switch, and say the second rider is the moron who does not know they requested a pool or didn't not know know what pool meant. They'd walk up to my car, see another passenger, turn around, walk away, and call me: Where are you? I reply, you just walked away. You have other people in the car? Now someone out there tells me in the impossible traffic I have to deal with, do I have time to explain to this person they are ignorant of what pool meant and entailed. Thirdly, the first rider stays silent, doesn't understand what I am doing, and after I pick up the second rider and driver a block or two, they say, this is not for me, please let me out? Oh, sure, but don't rate me badly because you are ignorant and can not decipher what you read.

- Wrong address entered. East instead of West. Or I meant 6th Ave in Brooklyn, not Manhattan:
Of course they do not realize that until you get to their destination given by the app. How horrible is this situation if the rider is a very old person on crutches. Yes, it happend to me, and I didn't know what to do. Be inhuman, and let the old man out, or waste an hour after I had to go the opposite way to drop the second rider, then drive across town on my onwn expense to get them to thier actual desired destination?

- Wrong sequence of pickup and drop off:
Since we are never given the drop off location upfront, like a dumb robot I follow what Uber smart Server instructs me to do. As you all know in many instances, the pickup-drop off sequence of riders would be more efficient if it was reversed. My last UberPool, and I mean my last forever. I had to drive this girl 65 blocks off from where she lived. Had I known where she was going upfront, I would have dropped her first. But I had to go up 30 blocks from her exit on the FDR to drop the first rider as instructed, then drive downtown 35 additional blocks. She was silent, but the look on her face leaving me car said it all: Drivers are stupid, no wonder why they drive for a living. I felt so stupid, and had no control over the whole situation nor the bad rating surely took place after.

- Too much luggage going to the airport by first rider:
Bad enough the first rider is late for a flight already and requests an UperPool hoping no one else will jump in, or they are so sure of the persuading skills to pressure the driver not to accept any more riders or you know how I am gonna rate you. Not sure why fate always gets me this situation on Friday rush hour. Now Uber adds the second rider automatically, for all of you robots out there must not use your brain or excercise your will in any decision their Server sees fit. So here we are, trunk is full, rider was explained to before trip begins that this is a shared trip, and they nod their head understanding and consenting of the horror I anticipate ahead. Second rider has a suitcase which now I must squeeze next to me in the front seat, great. What if the second rider had too many luggage as the first. A cancellation is a must, but now there's another argument, you cancel because they will charge me. Ok, I cancel, and the following morning I get a text from Uber: Your cancellation rate is below average, read the email sent to you. One time I made the mistake of explaining to a girl going to JFK, yes on Friday rush hour ( I stopped working Fridays after 12:00 PM) that she had requested a shared ride, and she didn't know she did, so I advised, she cancels, and request a rgular UberX and since she was inside my car already, I must be the closest driver to her. Folks, never ever do that, for somehow I got a ping from another rider, and she was accepted by a different rider. Since I had to rush for my new request, I unloaded her luggage. I could have waited until her driver showed up if I didn't have a request of my own, but that is what happened; I got me a nice F**k you. Now I asked myself, why do I have to explain to people in Pool what they must know when they consent to Uber's agreement. Why do I care if they missed their flight or not. After all, it is not my business if you don't take the time to understand what you are doing.

I have more woes about UberPool to add, but I gotta run now. Just a question: Do you know of any driver who got deactivated for not accepting UberPool, because I don't intend to accept another single Pool ever again? Thanks

tohunt4me

Personally, I believe cesspool is a primary cause of car crashes for Uber drivers. The sudden switchs in direction+ constant need to watch the app for updateds + built up tension with mostly unhappy pax = High risk driving practice.
IRRESPONSIBLE & UNSUSTAINABLE !

tohunt4me

Ubers pay goes up.

Your pay goes down.

alextheboss

If they are the first rider, then on my way to the second I get: Sir where are you going /taking me? And if they are still the first rider and the second rider cancels as I pull over in front of their location after I made a useless 8 minute detour around a block off the original route, then I get: Sir, you are going in circles, do you know what you are doing? Imagine, the request and cancellation by a second rider is repeated, how insane I have to go along with the poor soul in my car. Now let's switch, and say the second rider is the moron who does not know they requested a pool or didn't not know know what pool meant. They'd walk up to my car, see another passenger, turn around, walk away, and call me: Where are you? I reply, you just walked away. You have other people in the car? Now someone out there tells me in the impossible traffic I have to deal with, do I have time to explain to this person they are ignorant of what pool meant and entailed. Thirdly, the first rider stays silent, doesn't understand what I am doing, and after I pick up the second rider and driver a block or two, they say, this is not for me, please let me out? Oh, sure, but don't rate me badly because you are ignorant and can not decipher what you read.

- Wrong address entered. East instead of West. Or I meant 6th Ave in Brooklyn, not Manhattan:
Of course they do not realize that until you get to their destination given by the app. How horrible is this situation if the rider is a very old person on crutches. Yes, it happend to me, and I didn't know what to do. Be inhuman, and let the old man out, or waste an hour after I had to go the opposite way to drop the second rider, then drive across town on my onwn expense to get them to thier actual desired destination?

Since we are never given the drop off location upfront, like a dumb robot I follow what Uber smart Server instructs me to do. As you all know in many instances, the pickup-drop off sequence of riders would be more efficient if it was reversed. My last UberPool, and I mean my last forever. I had to drive this girl 65 blocks off from where she lived. Had I known where she was going upfront, I would have dropped her first. But I had to go up 30 blocks from her exit on the FDR to drop the first rider as instructed, then drive downtown 35 additional blocks. She was silent, but the look on her face leaving me car said it all: Drivers are stupid, no wonder why they drive for a living. I felt so stupid, and had no control over the whole situation nor the bad rating surely took place after.

Bad enough the first rider is late for a flight already and requests an UperPool hoping no one else will jump in, or they are so sure of the persuading skills to pressure the driver not to accept any more riders or you know how I am gonna rate you. Not sure why fate always gets me this situation on Friday rush hour. Now Uber adds the second rider automatically, for all of you robots out there must not use your brain or excercise your will in any decision their Server sees fit. So here we are, trunk is full, rider was explained to before trip begins that this is a shared trip, and they nod their head understanding and consenting of the horror I anticipate ahead. Second rider has a suitcase which now I must squeeze next to me in the front seat, great. What if the second rider had too many luggage as the first. A cancellation is a must, but now there's another argument, you cancel because they will charge me. Ok, I cancel, and the following morning I get a text from Uber: Your cancellation rate is below average, read the email sent to you. One time I made the mistake of explaining to a girl going to JFK, yes on Friday rush hour ( I stopped working Fridays after 12:00 PM) that she had requested a shared ride, and she didn't know she did, so I advised, she cancels, and request a rgular UberX and since she was inside my car already, I must be the closest driver to her. Folks, never ever do that, for somehow I got a ping from another rider, and she was accepted by a different rider. Since I had to rush for my new request, I unloaded her luggage. I could have waited until her driver showed up if I didn't have a request of my own, but that is what happened; I got me a nice F**k you. Now I asked myself, why do I have to explain to people in Pool what they must know when they consent to Uber's agreement. Why do I care if they missed their flight or not. After all, it is not my business if you don't take the time to understand what you are doing.

I have more woes about UberPool to add, but I gotta run now. Just a question: Do you know of any driver who got deactivated for not accepting UberPool, because I don't intend to accept another single Pool ever again? Thanks
Very well written, this should be put up in an article somewhere so the general public knows what's really happening.

Montgomery

Very well written, this should be put up in an article somewhere so the general public knows what's really happening.
Agreed.

Montgomery

Isnt there a petition we could all sign? Or send Uber multiple complaints about this? They are basically forcing people to use Uberpool without them even demanding it, at the expense of the driver. Not cool.
Nope. It's been well established by now that they don't care about anything else than their bottom line. The best and only thing to do is to ignore uberpool trips.

No_Nonsense

This should be emailed to Josh Mohrer.
Just it still will be wasting of time since he will just ignore it.

Uberman8263

Som

Must feel great getting that off your chest, enjoy your weekend.

Dontmakemepullauonyou

Use Waze manually with the first destination and simply ignore the additional riders. The pool pax that you don't want can wait or cancel.
Guys please stop ignoring second and third pool requests. Give the riders full uberStool experience, make that 15min ride home last 1 hour.

Make the pax hate uber pool by just doing exactly what uber pool does. Pick up as many riders as you can, lower rated riders the better it will piss off other riders and they will stop using pool and start using uberX again.

Inshur New York