1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

What do you guys think about these Tipping Signs?

Discussion in 'Tips' started by Kon1992, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Kon1992

Kon1992 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Thoughts?.. Is it too pushy?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2016
    simpsonsverytall likes this.
  2. SunnySonya

SunnySonya Active Member

Kinda tacky.
    Just my opinion.
    As a driver, I'm simply resigned to understanding that 90% of my riders don't tip.
    If I was a pax and saw that sign I'd be mildly irritated that the implication was being communicated that a tip is expected.

3. NewEnglander

NewEnglander Well-Known Member

Like it or not, people are conditioned by Uber to not expect that they need to tip. Any sign is going to be pushy. Lyft's in-app system is a good one, but there really is not anything decent that a driver can do to effectively bring tips in.

4. JimKE

JimKE Well-Known Member

I agree with Sunny. Or Sonya. Whichever the case may be.

SunnySonya likes this.
  5. Driving and Driven

Driving and Driven Well-Known Member

I thought they were tacky at first but, done tastefully and discreetly and not "in-your-face", I thought about it and figured out the sign wouldn't bother me if I saw it in an Uber where I was a passenger. According to some of the people who use them, they notice a considerable increase in tips.

6. JimKE

JimKE Well-Known Member

And if I can be more serious for a moment...

Tips are a sore point with many Uber drivers. But -- even if you got a tip on every ride, what percentage of your income would that be? Pretty small.

I have a nice car, it's spotless, and I give good service. I get paid for that. Probably 20% of my customers tip, and it's nice to get.

The other 80%? I'm happy to have their business and I enjoy their company just as much as those who tip.*

YMMV.

*(Full disclosure: I don't drive the late-night drunk/puke runs.)

R3NO, SunnySonya and Daddyfatsacks10 like this.
  7. Driving and Driven

Well, to answer your question, if you got even a $1.00 tip on every ride and your take on the average trip was $10.00, that would be a ten percent in crease in pay. If your average take was $5.00 per trip and you got a $1.00 tip on each trip, that would be a twenty percent increase in pay.

So, yeah...I would take it in a heartbeat.

8. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Found a sweet place to put a small tip sign. It works great during the day but at night people cant see it too well. Been trying to find a way to backlight it but havent found a solution [​IMG]

9. JimKE

JimKE Well-Known Member

And if you are driving for $5.00 fares -- the MUCH more important question would be...(wait for it!)...

...why?

phillipzx3 likes this.
  10. Driving and Driven

I take every fare I get. Some are five. Some are ten. Some are twenty.

Some of the five dollar fares give me five-dollar tips.

No fare is too big or too small as long as it is UberX and not Pool.

Treat your customers right and money isn't a problem.

11. simpsonsverytall

simpsonsverytall Well-Known Member

Are you joking?
    We are supposed to be getting 15-20% of every fare.

Say we are a part-timer, driving UberX 20 hours a week 50 weeks a year, and we gross $10/hour driving:
    $10 * 20 * 50 = $10,000 SALARY
    Uber takes 25% Commission from our fares , We get 75%.
    To find our Total Fares we have to divide our Gross Earnings by 75%;
    $10,000 / 0.75 = $13,333.33 = TOTAL FARES
    15%TIP of $13,333.33 = $2,000

20% ! one fifth of our earnings!

12. PeterNorth

PeterNorth Well-Known Member

Tip signs are great, IF you have the personality for them. I've been in Ubers where they have a tip sign and don't say a word and then it's awkward and pushy. Also, I've been in Ubers where they have a sign on the back seat and shoot the **** with you; making you want to tip.

I have gone both ways as a driver. With a sign I get around 40-60$ more per week in tips. Tips are what keeps drivers in the game (and surges), since Uber's cut makes for a tough night.

13. elelegido

elelegido Well-Known Member

Why have you got the front floormats illuminated? Do you need to look at them at night?

14. Grahamcracker

Grahamcracker Well-Known Member

The sign is a great idea and this post is well said.

LevittownPa likes this.
  15. phillipzx3

phillipzx3 Well-Known Member

I think if you don't know how to use the search function to find the other 1000+ threads about tipping signs, you don't deserve a tip. ;-)

16. PeterNorth

PeterNorth Well-Known Member

Ace has spoken..

17. Toyota Guy

Toyota Guy New Member

I like it. I use this one.

upload_2016-11-28_9-33-14.png

LevittownPa and Ozzyoz like this.
  18. Grahamcracker

Grahamcracker Well-Known Member

It's good.

19. Ozzyoz

Ozzyoz Well-Known Member

Wow you even got blue glowing floors and also a tablet that has "Thank You" GTFO you must be the King of all Uber drivers. Pretty sure they are going to give you tons of tips with a car interior like that.

FL_Dex and crimson.snwbnny like this.
  20. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Actually, ive noticed a big difference in attitude from my drunk pax with the blue mood lightining. Pyschologists suggest blue is a calming color, and i see the difference since i added the blue light. Plus, its preemtively installed so when i finally get the interior dash cam, itll help illuminate the footage. The back is lit as well.

$20 on ebay and took 10 min to install and i can change colors from my smartphone.

The tablet in the back is actually free to me and has a data plan. I use it for my 9-5 as im in marketing for tradeshows as a sort of kiosk device. Why let it go to waste in a drawer when not in use? So i use it ubering.

I have seen better tips as well since i installed them but not everyone uses the tablet so thats why i added the printed version.

Im not a prude like some drivers, i actually discovered new artist and new songs so i dont mind letting my passengers play their own music. Once it gets late at night, it also keeps them occupied and leaves me alone. Its like letting the tv babysit your kids... Haha... The tablet babysits my pax.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
    Blackout 702 and crimson.snwbnny like this.