1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

What do you do when you suspect you're part of a drug run?

Discussion in 'Advice' started by HyundaiBigDog, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Merc7186

Merc7186

Driving:
    UberXL
    I've taken the guys going to buy drugs and they were not quiet about it (they were white trash), got hostile on them about making me wait but when trip was over, starred and complained to Uber (I'm sure they got promo codes as their punishment).

I have also taken the guys to go sell drugs. They made the person buying the drugs pay for the ride, had me park down the street while the buyer came out and walked over then returned back to the gas station where I picked up the dealers from. Again, 1 starred and complained.

The Way I see it, as long as they aren't doing it in my car, then I don't care....but the aren't gonna do it again.

Another Uber Driver likes this.
  2. I'm no longer a black teen but a black adult, interesting thread to say the least

3. The real problem here is they may have been under 18 which would be a TOS violation. Did you try to verify their ages?

BikingBob likes this.
  4. Maybe he left his homework far his friends house.

RaleighUber, Merc7186 and BikingBob like this.
  5. FLKeys

FLKeys

Driving:
    UberX
    Can't say I have knowingly picked up anyone as part of a drug deal. Had my suspicions once with a person based on the several short phone calls he made during our trip with 1 stop and back to original destination. Turns out he was just going to his house and back to the place I picked him up to get the spare set of keys because he locked his in the car.

Now I did have this young lady on 3 trips in a row one day that I suspect was turning tricks. On the third trip I realized she was fixing her hair and make-up on the way to her next destination. Got that this is not good feeling, dropped her off at third place and high tailed it out of the area. The dead miles were worth it in that case.

6. bobdobalina

bobdobalina

if i was 16-21 again all my hoez & drugs would be moved via uber mules with anon accounts

its not rocket science its 41% off and excuse might not work but better than nothing

not my drugs occifer just ordered an uber musta been another passenger

& hoez shiiiiiiiiiiiiit uber put fake mispimp school bus drivers outta business

if you work 3rd shift you ARE human trafficking & running drugs

mispimps used to get years in prison for what uber drivers do every night lmao

7. Maybe he was grabbing a video game? Do teens stay up late anymore to play video games and have headphones on?

Again, unless they physically light up, inject, or produce the product in your car - you can't assume anything.

tradedate, RaleighUber and IGotDrive like this.
  8. UberBeemer

UberBeemer Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I didn't call you any such thing, just asked a legit question. You're the one who identified them specifically by race, as if to support your suspicion. Isn't that racial profiling?

9. Some still just...don't...get it

UberSFDriver2016 and brentb31 like this.
  10. CarpeNoctem

CarpeNoctem

Driving:
    UberXL
    Ok, remove black from the OP and it is still a valid question.

To me, it would be even more suspicious if one was a ginger with dreads. If he was wearing a rasta hat it would be a certainty.

11. SuzeCB

SuzeCB

Driving:
    UberX
    Why are you allowing riders to get out and back in at any stop?

After confirming who they are, I would go over the destination and any stops, explaining stops are stops, not stop & waits. Anyone gets out, they stay out. ESPECIALLY at night.

And I don't care if riders were purple with yellow polka dots and green stripes.

12. UberBeemer

UberBeemer Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    SuzeCBSuzeCB , riders can add multiple stops to an X ride, and as far as i know, that isn't limited to only those where the rider remains in the car.

His question, less the superfluous descriptives, is valid.

13. FLKeys

FLKeys

Driving:
    UberX
    I guess I am too nice. I do let them know I can only wait 2 minutes or I will have to possibly end the ride. After 2 minutes the other Lyft/Uber app gets turned back on and if i get a ping i'll end the ride and move on. So far that has never happened. Rides can be tough to come by in my area so I need to use my own judgement on a case by case basis. At least most if not all of these people are appreciative and leave a decent tip. I guess when I get an abusive one I may be less inclined to do it.

14. SuzeCB

SuzeCB

Driving:
    UberX
    I know. Uber left it incredibly vague in the descriptions in the apps. I go on what I was told by a rep (a Sr. Rep.) at a pop-up Hub, aka Spot in some other markets.

He didn't say we COULDN'T wait, only that it wasn't necessary, so was up to the driver. Since the wait part isn't actually part of the service, drivers are free to refuse (and this is certainly the "smarter" choice in certain neighborhoods or at certain times), or hold out for any tips the riders may choose to offer. And, of course, all of that needs to be hammered out BEFORE moving the car an inch.

And I agree. Even the most seasoned driver can occasionally find themselves in a situation they usually avoid like the plague. It happens. The question is absolutely valid.

The answer is, always, do what you think will keep you safest. Don't panic about what may or may not happen and do what you need to to finish the ride as quickly as possible. "No more stops added, please, as I really need a bathroom." Anything.

I live and worked, at least during the week, in Essex County, New Jersey. That includes Newark, NJ's largest city, and Carjacking Capital of the World. I've been told on this forum that my insistence on identity and destination, along with number of riders and number and nature of stops was "too much". In my area, it makes absolute sense. I've driven them all... working girls, hustlers, pimps, dealers, and gang-bangers (red, blue and yellow). Once the rules were laid out, up front and honestly, they would become some of my best trips, complete with tips.

Actually, my two WORST trips were with very well-heeled, "successful" and "well-respected" men living in mansions. Not McMansions, either.

The so-called "low-lifes"? "Yes, Ma'am," "No, Ma'am," and "Thank you, Ma'am," all the way. Never a bit of trouble.

Crime is a business. A rough, violent business, but a business. Once that is understood, almost anyone you suspect is a criminal can be dealt with or avoided easily.

15. touberornottouber

touberornottouber

Driving:
    UberX
    If something seems sketchy I will try to find a way to slip into the conversation that my brother/father/wife is a deputy with the local police department. Usually this helps a lot to make sure they behave and if they are trying that, they just might think twice.

At the end of the trip on Lyft make sure to give them 3* or less so you are not paired with them again. For Uber I believe you need to ask support to not pair you with them again.

---
    The local taxi company here has (or did when I worked for them) a policy at night only where round trips or stops weren't allowed. This was to help prevent the drivers from being stuck in the middle of drug deals. It helped a lot. I believe sometimes they made exceptions but only if the stop were an actual legitimate business and not to say a residential address such as an apartment.

If you live in a high crime area you might just decide that this will be your policy too at night. Lyft or Uber may not like it but I believe if you explain why and how you feel unsafe they will probably back down.

16. It's not racism. It's more stereotyping and it could save your life. Doesn't matter what race. If you act like a thug, dress like a thug, I'll treat you like you are one. I love wearing hoodies but I can understand if people are weary of me. If your pants are sagging and you wear a hoodie or cover your head/face, expect people to be suspicious of you. Doesn't mean a guy in business suit cannot rob me it's the percentage game, they are less likely to rob you.

If you see a bunch of guys looking like thugs in the middle of the day standing around doing nothing, might be worth your time to cross the street. I would cross the street even if its a bunch of tatted white guys in wife beater shirts too. Common sense isn't so common anymore.

https://webmshare.com/play/d6Wgr

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  17. Christinebitg

Christinebitg

Driving:
    UberX
    That just seems like a bad idea to me.

Let's suppose you pick up a disturbed people who has a grudge against police. You've just asked to become a casualty during the upcoming trip.

18. I am pretty sure I've driven to a few drug houses. I don't question, I just drive.

El Janitor likes this.
  19. I've had at least one that I know of. Decent area, looked like I was picking him up from work. Tells me he had to drop off a check. Ended up in a sketchy area at 11:30 PM. Meetup was a well lit gas station (makes for better targets I guess), he gets out, gets back in a few minutes later, back to the decent area. We definitely did not belong in that area, and were probably the two lightest skinned people in that whole area. Was a decent ride money wise, and I ended my night after that. Would not do again.

20. On the streets you mind your own business and pretend to look the other way. You risk getting beaten up, threatened, kidnapped or worse. Just bite your tongue and handle the trip like any other.

Christinebitg likes this.