What do you do if passenger asks you to SPEED?

UberRose

I guess I had my first terror speeding situation today morning at 3:48 am. I picked up this lady who kept harassing me to speed THROUGHOUT the trip. I risked my rating to drop her. I picked her up at her pick up location in Brooklyn and she had to get to the jfk airport. She asked me to speed a thousand times. I told her that I cannot risk getting a speeding ticket and losing my license. I tried to talk to her to calm down but she wouldn't listen. Then she says ,"What do you mean you can't speed...Uber drivers speed all the time."...I told her that I cannot speed because my living depends on my license. She then said " May be you shouldn't have your Uber driving license then if you are not going to speed."....She continued calling me names like "crappy driver" ...She asked me to take the highway....When I got on the highway, I stuck to the speed limit of 50 miles per hour....and then she says , "Now what? I put you on the highway and you still can't speed?...You really shouldn't be driving for Uber ".....I reached her terminal 5 and even as I was entering the terminal 5 she says..." I am begging you....Just for these last 2 minutes of the trip I want you to speed now..."...I finally got to the terminal and dropped her. This was a really harassing unsafe situation. I have maintained a respectable rating average of 4.8 and after this trip my rating also decreased to 4.78. I reported her to uber . She kept yelling and harassing me to speed and then treating me rudely by calling me a "crappy driver who shouldn't have her license"....The way she was reacting trying to force me to speed could have led to an accident. It was highly distracting to drive while having her yelling at me to speed throughout the trip.

My question is what exactly should I do in such a scenario where it feels like a forced hostage situation??!!!....I am still in shock ....Uber sent me a nice response that they will evaluate her uber privileges and that I will not get her as a passenger ever again. But what should I do in such a situation? Does anyone have any advice for me?....

joeboston

Does anyone have any advice for me?....
I have some advice for you: before posting a new thread, please consider reading the forum first. For the past seven days, an almost identical question has been (and continues to be) A FEATURED THREAD IN THIS FORUM!!! Complete with SIX PAGES OF RESPONSES! Please forgive me I am not a rude person, it just seemed, in this situation a small amount of tough love was appropriate.

UberRose

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have some advice for you: before posting a new thread, please consider reading the forum first. For the past seven days, an almost identical question has been (and continues to be) A FEATURED THREAD IN THIS FORUM!!! Complete with SIX PAGES OF RESPONSES! Please forgive me I am not a rude person, it just seemed, in this situation a small amount of tough love was appropriate.
Yeah sorry. ...I just noticed that featured post after posting this thread. ...My bad!!...I am just so shaken after the experience a few hours ago....and yeah I am reading the other thread....I highly apologise for posting this here. ....I should have just posted under the featured thread. I am sorry.

shiftydrake

If she kept telling me to speed I would have slowed down...........if she @@@@@ed I would have asked her to stop one time.........if she kept on asking to speed I would have stopped suddenly.........then when she started complaining about me jack in the brakes I would have pulled over and said " last time I asked this time you have to leave......if your late that is not my problem....get out"....smiling

Jufkii

I guess I had my first terror speeding situation today morning at 3:48 am. I picked up this lady who kept harassing me to speed THROUGHOUT the trip. I risked my rating to drop her. I picked her up at her pick up location in Brooklyn and she had to get to the jfk airport. She asked me to speed a thousand times. I told her that I cannot risk getting a speeding ticket and losing my license. I tried to talk to her to calm down but she wouldn't listen. Then she says ,"What do you mean you can't speed...Uber drivers speed all the time."...I told her that I cannot speed because my living depends on my license. She then said " May be you shouldn't have your Uber driving license then if you are not going to speed."....She continued calling me names like "crappy driver" ...She asked me to take the highway....When I got on the highway, I stuck to the speed limit of 50 miles per hour....and then she says , "Now what? I put you on the highway and you still can't speed?...You really shouldn't be driving for Uber ".....I reached her terminal 5 and even as I was entering the terminal 5 she says..." I am begging you....Just for these last 2 minutes of the trip I want you to speed now..."...I finally got to the terminal and dropped her. This was a really harassing unsafe situation. I have maintained a respectable rating average of 4.8 and after this trip my rating also decreased to 4.78. I reported her to uber . She kept yelling and harassing me to speed and then treating me rudely by calling me a "crappy driver who shouldn't have her license"....The way she was reacting trying to force me to speed could have led to an accident. It was highly distracting to drive while having her yelling at me to speed throughout the trip.

My question is what exactly should I do in such a scenario where it feels like a forced hostage situation??!!!....I am still in shock ....Uber sent me a nice response that they will evaluate her uber privileges and that I will not get her as a passenger ever again. But what should I do in such a situation? Does anyone have any advice for me?....
I demand cash up front from the PAX to cover any fines if they want me to do something illegal and I get pulled over. Otherwise no illegal driving or no ride at all. Since these no tipping cheapskates won't even cough up a $2 tip they sure aren't going to come up with close to a grand even if I give it back if I don't get a ticket. That shut's them up about the subject the rest of the ride if I haven't given them the boot already.

grams777

Author
I will generally tell people the app monitors everything I do and will report me to Uber / Lyft if I am speeding. This is actually something Uber seems to be doing now. Furthermore as a professional driver, I am allowed almost no leniency when it comes to any tickets so I may lose my job.

Drive as normal. Immediately report the rider after the trip and request any bad rating be reversed. I had this happen to me on Lyft. I noticed because I actually got negative pax feedback that said I could have gone faster and made it through more lights.

This is one of the problems with the ratings system. You could wind up with safe drivers on their way to deactivation for not speeding. It will not affect all drivers similarly. Those who do speed on pax request will receive higher ratings assuming they don't get pulled over.

Other options include just kicking them out if the pressure is making you feel unsafe to drive. Also you could estimate the cost of the ticket, higher insurance, damages plus liability for any accident, and lost wages. Then use that as a topic for conversation on who will pay for it. Hint: It could be in the millions.

In your case, she didn't appear to want to listen to anything. So the best options next time would be drive as normal and report, or kick them out if it's enough of a nuisance like this one.

You could also say as a warning after its becoming a problem: I'm not going to speed. If you try to pressure me again to break the law, I will have to immediately end the trip and have you leave the vehicle.

This is sort of a legal technique but try to always say why you are kicking someone out in the same sentence so a recording can't be easily taken out of context. It should also go without saying that a dash cam is essential equipment.

One other thing that helps with some people is say, ok I can do a little over for you. This assumes you normally might do that anyway but makes them feel special. And by this I mean perhaps a few mph only.

Now, if she handed me an extra $20 and said step on it....

Last edited:

DudeGuy

I demand cash up front from the PAX to cover any fines if they want me to do something illegal and I get pulled over. Otherwise no illegal driving or no ride at all. Since these no tipping cheapskates won't even cough up a $2 tip they sure aren't going to come up with close to a grand even if I give it back if I don't get a ticket. That shut's them up about the subject the rest of the ride if I haven't given them the boot already.
Do you ask for cash to cover the insurance hike when points are added to your license for a moving violation?

UberRose

OK....So next time I get a passenger like this i will pull over and tell them to leave the car.

A question about the rating....My rating went down from 4.8 to 4.78....Can that be reversed? How?

Jufkii

Do you ask for cash to cover the insurance hike when points are added to your license for a moving violation?
Everything is factored in including additional punitive damages in general just for the hassle of it all. No PAX of course has ever taken me up on my fair and sensible offer yet,

Another Uber Driver

I picked her up at her pick up location in Brooklyn and she had to get to the jfk airport. She asked me to speed a thousand times.

Then she says ,"What do you mean you can't speed...Uber drivers speed all the time."...

The "Uber drivers do it all the time", "my last Uber driver did it", "Every other Uber driver has done it" is the TNC version of something that we cab drivers have heard for years. Just substitute "cab" for "Uber" and this is what they tried to put over on us. It was OOM-WAH-WAH then, and y'know what? It is STILL OOM-WAH-WAH. These days, when I hear that, I tell the customer that I have been around too long to buy that nonsense. I ask him if he wants to continue the trip or does he want me to stop so that he can try to get a rookie on whom he can try his nonsense.

If this happens again, when they start it, let them know in no uncertain terms that you have no intention of breaking any laws, including speed limits. Let them know that lack of planning on their part does not constitute an emergency on yours. Finally, ask them if they want you to carry them or do they want to summon another ride whose driver might be willing to break the law for them.

If they say something once you start the trip, slow down and ask them "How did you want to get to Idlewild Airport? ......in this car, in another car, on the bus or did you want to walk?" Let them try to answer, then tell them that if they say anything more to you about your driving or give you any more nonsense, you will stop the car, put them out and they can walk to Idlewild. If they get smart, or if they shut up but start again, stop the car, put them out, end the trip, drive off. E-mail Uber about the disorderly passenger.

So I should have stopped the ride and kicked her out? Will Uber deactivate me if I do that?

Likely not over one trip. What is important, especially with a passenger like that, is that you E-mail Uber immediately. You can use the "I had an issue with the rider" page on your Uber application. We have had more than one Uber employee on these Boards who informed us that Uber tends to favour whichever gets to them first. You can rest assured that if the customer sends a complaint to Uber, she will exaggerate, at minimum or lie outright about what happened.

Once they start whining, rest assure they're going to rate you poorly. No point arguing about safety or risking a speeding ticket to make them happy.If they keep pushing, pull over and end the trip.

When you get a customer like that, there will be nothing that you can do to satisfy her. You had one star before she even got into your car. It was your fault that she was late before she even put in her order to Uber. You would have had nothing to lose by p utting her out of the car. The above quoted poster uses the words "to make them happy". You were not going to make her happy. Nothing that you did do or could have done would have made her happy. You could not only have not charged her for the trip, but could have paid her to ride with you and she would not have been happy, still. You have lost it already, so you have nothing to lose. End trip; One Star; e-Mail Uber.

I demand cash up front from the PAX to cover any fines if they want me to do something illegal and I get pulled over.

I do not do that, even, as I can not transfer the points to them.

OK....So next time I get a passenger like this i will pull over and tell them to leave the car.
My rating went down from 4.8 to 4.78....Can that be reversed? How?

Give them a warning, but if they persist , O-W-T they go! As I am an American Boy and like baseball, I give them three strikes. They get in and start on me. I tell them to stop it; STRIKE ONE. They start again. I tell them to discontinue, this is the last warning, if they do it again, they will get out. STRIKE TWO. They say something again: STRIKE THREE. I stop the car, the passenger leaves.

It can, but likely Uber will not do it. This should not, however, stop you from trying. Sometimes, if you keep sending them e-Mails, they will give you what you want just to make you go away.

PTUber

Here is the key line "that lack of planning on their part does not constitute an emergency on yours".

The whole thing reminds me of Bill Murray in Stripes when he pulls his cab over on the bridge because he has a bossy lady in the back. Throws his keys in the water and walks away.

renbutler

If she kept telling me to speed I would have slowed down...........if she *****ed I would have asked her to stop one time.........if she kept on asking to speed I would have stopped suddenly.........then when she started complaining about me jack in the brakes I would have pulled over and said " last time I asked this time you have to leave......if your late that is not my problem....get out"....smiling
So, fight d-bag with d-bag?

That's what's wrong with the country today. People hate others' d-baggery but proudly wear their own.

The other suggestions in this thread were perfect. Don't take crap from the rider, but be better than she is.

UberRose

What's the best way to kick her out in this situation? ....Tell her to exit the car while I am sitting in the front drivers seat? Or I pull over, cancel the trip , get out of the car myself first and open her back door for her and ask her to exit and then walk away? ....In both these cases what if she gets violent and punches me?...