1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

What do the yellow, orange, red on map really mean?

Discussion in 'Houston' started by Juice 3, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Juice 3

Juice 3

Driving:
    UberX
    I set inside one for 25 minutes-- no pings

Richard Cranium likes this.
  2. Bukrub

Bukrub

Driving:
    UberX
    It means stay 30 minutes. 5 more minutes and you would have had it.

Richard Cranium and negeorgia like this.
  3. You've learned your first lesson.

The yellow means a higher than normal demand. If it's one of the big zones in the suburbs, it's worthless.

Orange is a surge. You get paid more for picking up a pax in that area.

Red is a heavy surge. You get paid a lot more.

Supposedly. I don't think the surge calculations make much sense.

4. /facepalm

So I've been doing it all wrong?

Richard Cranium and Bukrub like this.
  5. only red is a surge. yellow = slightly more potential clients than cars available, orange = even higher than that, red = uber predicts demand outweighs supply and the multiplier is a representation to what extent they believe that.

Richard Cranium and tripAces like this.
  6. HOUTXRon

HOUTXRon

I'm curious as to how folks are coming up with these definiton of various colors on a map. Did you guys get it from an official Uber source or just pulling stuff out your asses?

7. tripAces

tripAces

Driving:
    UberX
    How about this. Figure out the newbie and the Vet from the 2 posters above you.

8. HOUTXRon

HOUTXRon

My question still remains.

9. Kmiles

Kmiles

Driving:
    UberX
    It means... KEEP OUT!

10. Kmiles

Kmiles

Driving:
    UberX
    This is Uber BS!

That Kingwood / Humble area are a bunch of short trips to IAH and brats.
    The yellow area east of 45 are crap trips. And you'll be driving 10+ minutes to pickup in those areas.

That area on 290 is good around Brookhollow. Anywhere else in that area you're risking your life.

Katy is a good area to work during certain times because you're guaranteed an airport fare at some point. And I'm not telling when it's a good time...

_20150914_000804.JPG

11. tripAces

tripAces

Driving:
    UberX
    Oh come on tell us what times are good. Seems the newbies want to be coddled. o_O

12. Yellow really is bull****! Don't fall for the orange or red at the UH area, I have never picked up any pax with surge charge there. It is more BS than anything to me, the only real surge charge happened lately only in Midtown / downtown area after midnight on Friday and Saturday.

13. JohnF

JohnF

Driving:
    UberX
    It's just a test to see if your smoking the good stuff

14. If anything gets pulled out of my ass, it's only because I used the safe word.

Richard Cranium and Bukrub like this.
  15. I was just joking there, btw.

16. madUber74

madUber74

Driving:
    UberX
    In Madison, all summer, there were times when they would turn the whole map (vs just certain zones) dark orange. It happened so routinely in the evenings there's no way it was glitched. It was supposed to mean something but what exactly I never figured out. My best guess was it was informing drivers overall demand everywhere was about to spike. Maybe to prevent people from logging off. Often times this would happen 2 or 3 minutes before the top of the hour in the evenings.

In any case they recently re-zoned the city (split up a lot of large zones, divided downtown and campus areas) and the nightly map-wide orange mass light up has ceased. I'll probably never know for sure