• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

What do pax mean by “drive safe”

omg. it's just a friendly expression. I try and avoid saying "safe travels" to people but do on occasion because I've always said it to family and friends.

Side Hustle

At the end of some rides the pax says ‘thanks, drive safe’. Are they saying that cause they feel I didn’t drive safely or just to wish me a safe journey?
It means you are not getting a tip, but the pax is acknowledging you. Probably comes often with the banker handshake.

mbd

If it is a women telling you, it means she is having grex with you inside her mind

If it is a male- it means no tips, your tip is " drive safe" comment

Christinebitg

I try and avoid saying "safe travels" to people but do on occasion
I used to work in a job where my co workers and I spent about 25% of our time on the road.

It was pretty normal to wish each other "safe travels" when our meetings were breaking up. I considered it to be a nice thing to do. It wasn't prescriptive any more than wishing someone a happy birthday.

Christine

Steve_TX

At the end of some rides the pax says ‘thanks, drive safe’. Are they saying that cause they feel I didn’t drive safely or just to wish me a safe journey?
That usually means they noticed the large metal safe in your back seat and they're reminding your that you're "driving a safe." The modern vernacular just sounds like they're "drive safe." Y'all know how slang can be. You can leave the safe at home or place it in your trunk and the problem will be solved in a jiffy. That means "resolved with a jar of Jif peanut butter."

Or so I've been told.

I read it on a forum once.

kdyrpr

What does it mean when complete strangers say "have a nice day"? Same crap. Who cares, means nothing.

mrpjfresh

I think they mean to say "be safe" but are just drunk. That or they've watched "The Sopranos" or driven the NJ Turnpike one too many times...
58946269.jpg

Crimson Drifts

Speaking of.... I am super aware as I am driving the pax and I really focus and incorporate defensive driving into the mix. I really take pride in doing this gig well even if it does kinda suck A LOT. lol With that said, I have made some mistakes which I know caused fear in the pax and on those occasions I apologized but I did not give an excuse like I was tired or anything. Mistakes happen....oh well...but.. Did you die??? lol
Hope it's better than me careening swiftly towards a red light without stopping because I had a brief moment of dead air in my head, then immediately realize what I am doing and punch the brakes to launch a passenger's White Castle soda onto my floor.

I hope the passengers were cool with it, but at least they kindly suggested a nearby carwash where I could clean the floor mats and such.

EDIT:
Trust me, I try not to make mistakes, but inevitably something stupid will happen.

FLKeys

think some people just are trying to be polite and are not real good at conversation. I try not to look for hidden meaning in anything people say. Life is too short.

hrswartz

Hummmmmmm... reminds me of a song I once heard... Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep, starts when your always afraid... Oh the memories come flooding back...

Launchpad McQuack

I think they mean to say "be safe" but are just drunk. That or they've watched "The Sopranos" or driven the NJ Turnpike one too many times...
View attachment 288916
That photograph reminds me of an off-topic story. I was driving across Pennsylvania once on the turnpike, and I went through a tunnel. As I came out of the tunnel, there was one of those yellow caution signs on the side of the road. I couldn't see it very well because the sun was in a position where there was a lot of glare, so I was struggling to read it. Once I made it out, it turns out that it just said "DRIVE SAFELY" or something like that. No useful information. While I was trying to read the sign, traffic in front of me had slowed down a lot for some reason and I almost ran into the car in front of me. I'm exaggerating a bit. It wasn't terribly close, but I had to brake fairly hard to slow down. I found it ironic that I almost had an accident because I was distracted by the "DRIVE SAFELY" sign.