What do I do if I miss an exit etc, and the trip takes longer than the pax expected?

1AlaskanAssassin

Hey, new driver here in L.A.
I did try searching for this, I'm sure it's been answered somewhere.

I was just wondering what the correct thing to do is, if for instance I miss an exit and the trip takes a little longer or further then the passenger expected.

I read the post about ending the trip early, but that's not reliable, as the exit missed could be towards the beginning of a trip!

What would I tell them in that case, and what would I select in the app?

Thanks!

Btw I'm asking here, because I emailed partnersLA at uber about a week ago, and have not received a response, which I find interesting..:wink:
Thanks

Mary27

This happened to me recently.
I would ask the passenger what they want to do and then figure out a good solution. Usually there isnt enough time for that.
What happened in my case is that the passenger got immediately upset and said that he will not pay for the extra fare.
I told him that I will drop him off at the next exit and he can call another Uber and that I will make sure that he will not get charged for the ride so far. He agreed to that. After dropping him off I contacted Uber through their Help system and told them to not charge him because it was my mistake. They agreed.

Mary27

Mary27 ... I never give a free fare. U need to stop that.

Just email uber and have them adjust it using regular google map routing for distance & time.

Question: what would u do, if an exit was shut off either by an accident/police?

It was barely two miles that I had driven them. But then it was equal amount out of the way because I had to take the next exit.
I did what I thought was the right thing to do.
If the exit is shut due to other reasons then obviously it is not my fault.

Mary27

Either adjust the fare to remove the unwanted detour or end the trip a couple minutes early, don't give away the whole ride.
No I did not give away the whole ride at all. It was a long ride and I missed the exit within the first tenth of the ride - and had to go on a direction at ninety degree from where we were headed. The ride cost the same for the pax on the another uber that they called.

Mary27

If it was in a longer trip, I would offer a cash back. Just guess how many miles & extra time spent.. Ending trip early is not good from insurance coverage perspective.
I did think about offering cash back. That was in fact the first thought that came to my mind.
However the prospect of driving with a upset and rude passenger was not worth the money for me.

just drive

Oh thanks for telling me that. I was wondering if that was possible.
Glad to know that this is an option.
Yes . Missing the exit is a fact. And they already decided to give you 1 start. Or don't care. Don't make a big deal out of it. Say you're sorry and will have uber take care of it. No cash back. No ending trip early.
With the rates so low i had a pax tell me to not bother ask uber to adjust the fare even if the detour was almost 10 min

S

Super Bug

No I did not give away the whole ride at all. It was a long ride and I missed the exit within the first tenth of the ride - and had to go on a direction at ninety degree from where we were headed. The ride cost the same for the pax on the another uber that they called.
I agree with the above advice. It will happen, my GPS gets wonky all the time. The truth is that we cannot possibly know every destination and turn to get there. We will make mistakes and when we do, we say we are sorry for the inconvenience and move on. If they are going to one star you for it, there is not too much you can do.

Coachman

I missed an exit recently which added a couple miles onto the trip. I told the rider that I'd contact support and have them adjust the fare. I did that. But I never heard back from support to verify any adjustment.

Coachman

Act like nothing happened. Stuff happens, maintain silence until end of trip...they probably wont like it and start raising thier voice and yelling, cursing...report them as abusive.
I've never had a rider get upset when I've immediately admitted to missing an exit. I have had a rider upset when I failed to mention it.

Mary27

I've never had a rider get upset when I've immediately admitted to missing an exit. I have had a rider upset when I failed to mention it.
Good for you. This is the only time I have missed an exit. I did not have to mention anything to the rider. It was obvious. It was an exit to go from one federal highway to another!

Coachman

I was on a toll expressway one morning about 2 miles from the destination. I missed the rider's exit and my gps went from 2 miles to 15 miles just like that. The next exit was 5.7 miles ahead. I was very upset, but the passenger took it really well.

Fauxknight

Select 'issue with trip', 'didn't start or end trip on time', enter the start and end points of the trip. The CSR will Google the trip and adjust it if the actual differs too much from the theoretical.

If it's obvious to the passenger what you did then apologize and reassure them that this is what you will do as soon as the ride is over.

Note this doesn't work well with a multi stop trip and doesn't work at all with one that had wait times.