Uber Drivers Forum banner

What did your Personal Insurance say when ...

4K views 51 replies 23 participants last post by  diehard88 
#1 ·
... You told them that you're driving Uber?

Did your Insurance go up?

#4 ·
I just called belair and was told I need to bump my $1million liability to $2million so which I did. Not sure why though, he had a hard time explaining it and I just gave up and agreed to it. My premium increased $350 annually for 2 vehicles.

My initial line was "I am thinking of signing up for uber . . blah blah"

Edit: Your vehicle must have collision and comprehensive coverage (Please correct me if I am wrong)

#14 ·
I am with Aviva. Phoned my broker who already knew about the UBER coverage. He removed the Aviva endorsement as I no longer need it and said I'm good to go.
I spoke to someone at the RideSharingCarInsurance.ca brokerage (the one that advertises at UberPeople) and he said that the Aviva endorsement is still required for those who are insured with Aviva and drive Uber. Who is your broker?

#17 · (Edited)
Oh great, after figuring I'd go with Belaire they are mailing me an application, and after that it will take 17 days to process. Guess no ubering for ne for a while.

Eta- Would you suggest upping my liability to 2 mil with my non uber friendly ins privider for the time it takes to get the new policy??

#18 ·
I am with Aviva. Phoned my broker who already knew about the UBER coverage. He removed the Aviva endorsement as I no longer need it and said I'm good to go.
I talked to a buddy of mine who is with Aviva. His broker confirmed that dropping the Ride sharing add on will not permit him to continue driving for Uber as they would deem it as a violation of the policy. Aviva top execs are still in discussion on how to handle this change. Only option my friend has is to stick with the add on or drop and switch over to Intact. According the Aviva broker, all intact insurance agents/brokers will give you the same rate. The penalty for cancelling Aviva policy mid term is last month of payment (Includes Auto insurance and Ride Sharing Add On)

I have no idea what your broker said but there is a clear contradiction here. You might want to clear it up with your broker again as they might deny your coverage under the assumption that you ain't driving for Uber anymore.

#19 ·
My Insurance told me that they will not offer me insurance if I drive Uber. I called Belair and they refused me. I called Intact, and within some few minutes to about 2 hours, I'm insured. I think it is $1m liability coverage.

The Belair guy said most Insurance companies do not want to do Uber because it is new and they appear not to understand it

#20 ·
My Insurance told me that they will not offer me insurance if I drive Uber. I called Belair and they refused me. I called Intact, and within some few minutes to about 2 hours, I'm insured. I think it is $1m liability coverage.

The Belair guy said most Insurance companies do not want to do Uber because it is new and they appear not to understand it
Did the Belair guys refuse you because you said you will drive Uber or just because of any history with tickets/Violations etc? The seconds options would cause a price increase instead of an outright refusal.

#21 ·
wait a minute, am i missing something? according to Uber now they have insurance policy from Intact which covers drivers & riders both and they have advised us to inform our personal inusrance company about this.
Now, if i am going to tell me insurance company that i am driving for Uber naturally they will ask since when? So shall i say i have been driving for Uber previously or i shall tell them i am going to drive uber now after they have introduce this insurance policy.?
In my humble opinion if in future something goes wrong and my personal insurance pull out data from UBer and yet they know that i was Driving for uber for so long will it not be "misrepresentation" ?

#25 ·
wait a minute, am i missing something? according to Uber now they have insurance policy from Intact which covers drivers & riders both and they have advised us to inform our personal inusrance company about this.
Now, if i am going to tell me insurance company that i am driving for Uber naturally they will ask since when? So shall i say i have been driving for Uber previously or i shall tell them i am going to drive uber now after they have introduce this insurance policy.?
In my humble opinion if in future something goes wrong and my personal insurance pull out data from UBer and yet they know that i was Driving for uber for so long will it not be "misrepresentation" ?
very good question..

#29 ·
I just cancelled my insurance and is now formally with Intact. My former company said they do not take insurance risks with commercial customers. That is why they do not do taxi drivers for example. They say it is because of liabilities, and court cases with third parties like paxs.

#30 ·
I just cancelled my insurance and is now formally with Intact. My former company said they do not take insurance risks with commercial customers. That is why they do not do taxi drivers for example. They say it is because of liabilities, and court cases with third parties like paxs.
I am with Belairdirect and called them to inquire re Uber. I said I am considering doing Uber. Agent checked and said that according to new rules (apparently just got approval on Jul 12), I am good to go. Nothing changes in my coverage, all I have to do is to let them know that I drive for Uber eventually and they make note of it. They said because Uber's insurance is with Intact, which is their parent company, there are no issues whatsoever.

#32 ·
Just switch to intact to be on safe side

#33 ·

You called Intact? Impossible, they inly deal through brokers. You called a broker dealing with Intact, yes!

#37 ·
My Insurance told me that they will not offer me insurance if I drive Uber. I called Belair and they refused me.
Its not new. All insurance companies understand & aware of the products in the market. Point of contention is the 'No fault accident clause' in the personal policy. Which insurance company will be held liable your insurance provider or Intact. Hence, its easy to get a policy or insurance from Intact as they don't have to deal with other companies incase of an accident.

#41 ·
Yup loop hole. (One of the reason they want you to inform your personal insurance provider). Liability & legal limbo & mambo, jambo jargon will follow.

#43 ·
A

The thing is that your current insurance provider might want to get rid of you even if Intact is covering you while Ubering. The simple reason is that when a claim will occur, they will need to pay lawyer fees to determine who will pay the claim. If I was the underwriter working at any insurance company other than Intact or Belair, I would stay away from Uber drivers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.