What Did It USED To Be Like?

EX_

I hear everyone talking about "before the rate cuts." From what I hear people talk about I'm lead to believe you guys were rolling in 2 or 3 times the amount of money you make now.

What did it used to be like? What did you used to make? How much were original fares? I'm just curious.
I could easily clear $800 in roughly 10-15 hours (Fri/Sat), this was back in 2015 when my area was at $1.65/mile. Now I net less than a third of that for the same amount of time spent.

So yeah, what you've heard us reminiscing about is pretty much true.

Dontmakemepullauonyou

I hear everyone talking about "before the rate cuts." From what I hear people talk about I'm lead to believe you guys were rolling in 2 or 3 times the amount of money you make now.

What did it used to be like? What did you used to make? How much were original fares? I'm just curious.
• 2014: 20 hours online $800. Average cut Uber takes from fare rider paid: 20%.
• 2015: 20 hours online $600. Average cut Uber takes from fare rider paid: 24%.
• 2016: 20 hours online $400. Average cut Uber takes from fare rider paid: 32%.
• 2017: 20 hours online $300. Average cut Uber takes from fare rider paid: 40-55%.
• 2018: Hopefully end of this scam and prison for Travis.

Get the picture?? Same work, infact more work to make less money.

Uber on!

Mars Troll Number 4

• 2014: 20 hours online $800. Average cut Uber takes from fare rider paid: 20%.
• 2015: 20 hours online $600. Average cut Uber takes from fare rider paid: 24%.
• 2016: 20 hours online $400. Average cut Uber takes from fare rider paid: 32%.
• 2017: 20 hours online $300. Average cut Uber takes from fare rider paid: 40-55%.
• 2018: Hopefully end of this scam and prison for Travis.

Get the picture?? Same work, infact more work to make less money.

Uber on!

2014 40 hours onlne $800 Uber's cut 25%
2015 60 hours online $800 Uber's cut 30%
2016 90 hours online $600 Uber's cut 30-50% per trip

TheFixer1

I quit Uber over a year ago, when they cut the rates by 45% and added a million more drivers. Uber got so big "and borrowed money from every dick Tom and Harry" that they needed to expand "add more drivers" and cut the rates to get more customers, it's all about volume for uber or any other big business, more cars and more pax means more money for Uber "not the individual driver", in the end each driver can only do a certain amount of fares in a given hour, if the fare was $1 or $100 dollars, as a driver you can not do more fares in an hour regardless of the price of the fare, it's called logistics, so what Uber did is add a boat load of cars in each market to be able to supply the demand of their new customers "do to their dirt cheap rates", including Uber Fool. I used to get these ridiculous emails like everyone else did, now that the fares are lower you will make more money, only someone with an extremely low IQ level would fall for that nonsense. I can give you many examples, but here is one, if you owned a coffee shop "one coffee shop" and you lowered your price of the cup of coffee to ludicrous levels where you are barely making any return "profits" you would go out of business, reason is that your creditors will no longer supply you with the credit line you need to operate, and without a credit line you can not operate any business anywhere, now if Dunkin Donuts lowered their cup of coffee to just barely making money on that cup they can absorb the cost much easier do to the volume of stores that they have. This is why all the big box stores have killed the smaller mom and pop businesses.
I used to make an easy $300 "and that is without the nice tips I used to receive from the nice pax that existed, reason is these where people who earned a good living, where educated and professional, and knew how to treat their drivers with respect, now with the dirt cap rates you get the lowest denominator of the human species and the attitude that goes along with it " in my pocket after Uber's cut in 10-12 hours on a weekday, $500-$700 Friday and Saturday, even $200-$300 on a Sunday with 8 hours behind the wheel, after their cuts and the addition of tens of thousands of cars to compete with, it got so bad that I had to get out. The turnover ratio with Uber drivers is astronomical, very few last past 6 months once they realize they have been taken for a ride, only the extremely desperate ones think "trying to convince themselves" that they are still making money. I live in NYC which the costs of operating a FHV is pretty costly.

Last edited:

Back it up Uber

It really wasn't the rate cut in Pittsburgh that hurt me. It was the fact that there was rarely more than 5 cars at the airport and most days it was nonstop surge. Even a slow Tuesday night you would see big surge.

SamDSJ

It used to be like it never gonna be again. I dont see any point talking about it. Its same as " oh man bitcoin use to be 0.20c in 2009 and its 1020+$ now, oh man remember good ol times when i could simply became a billionare?"

I was just re-reading my thread and came across your post. I'm hoping you did buy some bitcoing back then, cause it's about to crack 20k.

rtaatl

March of 2014 was $1.46 a mile and 15% commission. More opportunity to make money during bad weather and events. Not nearly as many drivers. We had the stupid iphone4 uber phone that would go dead in an hour if not on a charger. The app had no navigation and people would just have to tell you where they were going as there was no destination to put in...just a pickup location that gave a rough estimate of where the rider was.

TheFixer1

March of 2014 was $1.46 a mile and 15% commission. More opportunity to make money during bad weather and events. Not nearly as many drivers. We had the stupid iphone4 uber phone that would go dead in an hour if not on a charger. The app had no navigation and people would just have to tell you where they were going as there was no destination to put in...just a pickup location that gave a rough estimate of where the rider was.
You where not forced to use the Uber phone, you do know that right.

Driver2448

$1.20/mile normal rates and there were surges in the middle of the day on Saturday and Sunday in my area when Uber first started.

uberparadise

Dang. I was half kidding when I said 2-3 times. But your telling me it really was? Wow.
It was better, but it was also different. It allowed the driver to do a few early runs and quit before traffic got heavy and make a sold $200 or $300 on a Friday or Saturday night. Pickups were farther away and passengers sometimes took a long time to get to the curb. Uber keeps changing, presently u can still make money, but you are working longer and harder.

Oscar Levant

When I started, 4 years ago, it was $1.90 per mile, I got 80% of that, and I often did $500 each friday and saturday nights, with up to 8x surges. thing is, the high surges caused a major flap. The PR blowback was horrific. I remember fairs of $80, $100, $130, for not more than 20/30 minute runs, it was wild ! And, UBer didn't do much about it for a long time, finally, they capped them at 3x in my city. I made twice per week waht I'm making now. It's really maddening.

Another thing, during the first two years, I was handed an Iphone 4 by Uber, a dedicated phone, so I didn't have to use mine, but they charged me $10 per week. And, for the first year I drove, Uber didn't have a GPS. I used a Garmin ( actually, a Magellan, but it was the same thing ).

Last edited:

uberparadise

When I started, 4 years ago, it was $1.90 per mile, I got 80% of that, and I often did $500 each friday and saturday nights, with up to 8x surges. thing is, the high surges caused a major flap. The PR blowback was horrific. I remember fairs of $80, $100, $130, for not more than 20/30 minute runs, it was wild ! And, UBer didn't do much about it for a long time, finally, they capped them at 3x in my city. I made twice per week waht I'm making now. It's really maddening.

Another thing, during the first two years, I was handed an Iphone 4 by Uber, a dedicated phone, so I didn't have to use mine, but they charged me $10 per week. And, for the first year I drove, Uber didn't have a GPS. I used a Garmin ( actually, a Magellan, but it was the same thing ).
Up to 5x surge was ok at times in high demand situations in my opinion. .90 cents to 1.00 per mile and $.15 cents a minute should be as low as the rates ever got. I was not happy with low rates either, but I was ok with building the ridership base. I was holding out hope that rates would eventually rise back or drivers would give up at these rates. Problem was when Uber introduced upfront pricing and has artificially raised rates 20%, 30% and more. The driver got his cut based on the most efficient routes at base Uber rates. Uber's upfront model benefit Uber solely. Uber has always said they change things to their sole benefit because they "can"! Nowadays once in a while you can have a decent week, but u must work 50-60 even 70 hours. Your car is being trashed and worn out in a very short time now adays. Some weeks it's so slow you won't make money no matter how many hours u work. Uber gives u no guarantee that u can pay your bills and make a real living. Its evolved into a nightmare!

Last edited:

TheAntMiami

Up to 5x surge was ok at times in high demand situations in my opinion. .90 cents to 1.00 per mile and $.15 cents a minute should be as low as the rates ever got. I was not happy with low rates either, but I was ok with building the ridership base. I was holding out hope that rates would eventually rise back or drivers would give up at these rates. Problem was when Uber introduced upfront pricing and has artificially raised rates 20%, 30% and more. The driver got his cut based on the most efficient routes at base Uber rates. Uber's upfront model benefit Uber solely. Uber has always said they change things to their sole benefit because they "can"! Nowadays once in a while you can have a decent week, but u must work 50-60 even 70 hours. Your car is being trashed and worn out in a very short time now adays. Some weeks it's so slow you won't make money no matter how many hours u work. Uber gives u no guarantee that u can pay your bills and make a real living. Its evolved into a nightmare!
So the million dollar question, why do people continue to drive for Uber? Are they satisfied with crumbs for pay? I think it's just the ability to work when/if/hours you want.
But to seriously think of Uber/Lyft as a full time job is insane.

DocT

I miss:
The $1.00 Safe Rides Fee (aka today's outrageous Booking Fee).
Surges contained an entire city or more, and not a half-a-block hexagon.
10,000 less drivers in the city I drive in. Ok, maybe 1,000 drivers at that time.
Higher driver rates (/miles and /minute).

ValAsAlways

Not Uber, but Lyft driver here. I started to drive in 2014 and easily made $100 in less than 3 hours of work. Now it takes about 3 hours to even make $50, unless some event is going on with primetime. Too many drivers are out...

I got on the road at 6:30am. I’m stretched out in the front seat of my car in the parking lot of a hotel. I’ve been here for an hour.

Attachments

• E586390A-CDF1-489D-A1A4-A3FC436375D8.jpeg
    E586390A-CDF1-489D-A1A4-A3FC436375D8.jpeg
    26.2 KB · Views: 54

rtaatl

You where not forced to use the Uber phone, you do know that right.
Back then yes you were. It wasn't til around October of 2014 that the Google platform went live and you had the option. People were turning in their phones with the quickness...especially since Uber was charging $10 a week as a rental...smh

sellkatsell44

When I first took Uber (and it was already around for a few years) I paid 1.5 surge to ride from my house to work, and this was less then a 3 mile ride...took maybe half a hour thanks to some traffic on the highway.

I paid a bit over $100 for that trip. I imagine uber’s cut was a simple 20% and none of the now, “upfront pricing” that is driving a wide wedge between what the rider pays and what the driver receives.