• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

What did I miss?

JoshInReno

I've not been driving for the last 3 months. Took a vacation and then hunting season.

Now I'm ready to get back into the game and make some money. But it looks like things have changed since I've been gone. Looks like we're getting a new app?

What works now and what doesn't work anymore? Has the flat rate surge come to Reno yet?

kc ub'ing!

Same same brother. Just lots more drivers in our tiny market. No flat rate yet! But it surges so infrequently it doesn’t really matter! Although it did pop a few times last night. We’ll see what happens with the Santa crawl tonight. Good luck to all!

WomanDriver

Traffic seems to have gotten much worse during the evening commute. I am deadheading less often. Many more drivers on the road, and as always the laws of attraction apply.

My Christmas wish: I wish riders would type in the name of the business I'm picking them up from. When I mention it most don't even know they can.

JoshInReno

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, the sheer volume of drivers isn't what I remember at all. Especially the number of California plated vehicles. Santa Crawl was an eye opener seeing the out of town drivers.

The game has certainly changed since September and not in a good way.

Trafficat

Yesterday I got a few rides that took me into town from the suburbs but it was the same each time... sitting around or cruising downtown for half an hour with no ride requests, so I'd drive back home. I remember when it used to be that I'd drive and get stacked pings for hours and I'd have to eventually reject pings and shut off the app to be able to get gas. Tonight will probably be a little better being NYE.

I see surge on the maps it seems almost daily but it seems I almost never get any surge rides (or any rides at all for that matter) even when I sit in a surge bubble for half an hour. "It is busier than normal! You are in a busy area!" - The app keeps flashing at me while at the same time not sending me riders.

Last edited:

JoshInReno

Yesterday I got a few rides that took me into town from the suburbs but it was the same each time... sitting around or cruising downtown for half an hour with no ride requests, so I'd drive back home. I remember when it used to be that I'd drive and get stacked pings for hours and I'd have to eventually reject pings and shut off the app to be able to get gas. Tonight will probably be a little better being NYE.

I see surge on the maps it seems almost daily but it seems I almost never get any surge rides (or any rides at all for that matter) even when I sit in a surge bubble for half an hour. "It is busier than normal! You are in a busy area!" - The app keeps flashing at me while at the same time not sending me riders.
NYE was a bust compared to last year.

And the weekend following NYE was the worst weekend I think I've ever had. Surges have been dialed down for sure. Not much liking the new direction this game is taking.

kc ub'ing!

Got a ride to SL NYE round noon. Stayed all day. Buncha rides to snow globe, majority on surge. 10 mins going. 30 coming back to stateline. No bueno!

Headed home to Reno bout 6:30. Surge was popping! Matched my SL take by 10:30pm and headed home with a cool $360. Early night! Satisfied!

JoshInReno

Just did my taxes for the first time since I started driving.

Ouch.

All those late nights. All those weekends. All that time missed with my family. Just to have to turn over thousands and thousands of dollars in business taxes.

That might be the nail in the coffin for my driving days. I suspect more than a few drivers quit after getting hit with the tax bill. Even with my well documented higher mileage deductions I'm getting hit. Also saw the New Surge email this morning.

I haven't thrown in the towel yet, but I will be taking a long, hard look at this gig. It may not be worth it anymore which is sad.

Uber_Yota_916

Just did my taxes for the first time since I started driving.

Ouch.

All those late nights. All those weekends. All that time missed with my family. Just to have to turn over thousands and thousands of dollars in business taxes.

That might be the nail in the coffin for my driving days. I suspect more than a few drivers quit after getting hit with the tax bill. Even with my well documented higher mileage deductions I'm getting hit. Also saw the New Surge email this morning.

I haven't thrown in the towel yet, but I will be taking a long, hard look at this gig. It may not be worth it anymore which is sad.
This job requires an ira and health savings account for the tax write down. If you have a mortgage that will also reduce tax liability.

JoshInReno

That was the most pathetic St. Patrick's Day I have ever seen.

Good Lord. I just don't even know what to say. :thumbdown:

Hell yeah !

Guys, Is $200 a day after uber cut possible just working in Reno? 8-10 hrs ubering/lyfting? How much business taxes do you guys have to pay?