1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

What can we do, what are our real options, when rideshare fails as a job?

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Retired Senior, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Retired Senior

Retired Senior

Driving:
    UberX
    OK, Many of you are sick of me and some find me repetitive. Can we please forgive that for a moment? I am 65 and require knee surgery (total knee replacement) of both knees. I am on Medicare and have a Medicare Supplement Plan thru United Health Care. There are interfering difficulties that I won't go into just now but suppose I do have the surgery and, in 6 months to a year, I am able to walk, jog, ride a bicycle with the best of you? What then do I do for a job if Uber or similar companies no longer require our services? Do we throw tantrums like some yellow cab drivers are doing? Do we get political and try to get the politicians to help us out (IMO not at all likely!)

Many of us are senior citizens. Suppose we go back to school for a 2 yr certificate in some medical field. What is the likelihood of us getting hired.? Forget the self-serving bull**** about older workers being better employees. Most hiring managers are in their 30s and 40s. I do not believe that the majority would pick a senior citizen over some-one closer to their own age. Sexism, Ageism, Racism, are all very much real and active, in our subconscious if not conscious minds.

I am 1 of 3 adult children taking turns caring for a 90 year old Mom with advanced Alzheimer's disease. I donate (3) 10 hour days to this, and try to Uber around it. Not only is there a physical as well as an emotional cost, but the knowledge that there is no one to do the same for my brother and me eats at our souls every day. Various forms of suicide, as well as the time and place of execution, are talked about in serious conversation at least once a week. We have no desire to reach the level of infirmity our Mom is at now.... incontinent, does not know who her children are, can't retain any new memories ( you can't enjoy a tv show if you have already forgotten the second that proceeded the new scene...)

But getting back to the job situation. Lets say all ridesharing locks us out. If you are 65 or older what do you see as a viable option? Or should we all just join hands and jump off that fabled bridge?

Dead serious!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  2. oldfart

oldfart

Driving:
    UberXL
    as one old fart to another, Id say uber is your best bet... Uber's not going anywhere

and get some help for that depression. Medicare will cover a shrink

RockinEZ, ElUbre, tohunt4me and 2 others like this.
  3. Cross that bridge (or jump off of it) when you come to it.

4. Trafficat

Trafficat Moderator

This line of thinking is exactly why the economy is in such shambles. Too much political meddling with the economy to the point where no one can get a job, etc.

The key in my opinion is to be resiliant and flexible. I know that's hard for most people and possibly especially older people with medical conditions. But I personally believe in the invisible hand and that technology and unfettered peacable business transactions will continually create more favorable circumstances overall. Not everyone wins all the time, but overall in general I believe that the invisible hand leaves to improved conditions.

I therefore believe that in a free market system, by the time Uber no longer needs drivers, that there will be new opportunities that are similar or better, and that over time due to technological progression the cost of living will continue to drop to the point where it is not necessary to work as much.

I think the only thing we have to fear is that the government might stifle all progress with regulations and try and bail out old failed ideas, which is the typical "progressive" way.

Why would Uber not need drivers anymore? Most likely because there is a replacement, like driverless cars.

That means more jobs for engineers, but less need for drivers. Good for the engineers right? Maybe bad for the drivers and less skilled labor? In the short term, probably. But with any automation, it basically amounts to fewer people being able to provide more services. That means every person can have more things.

If there was no factory and farm automation we could employ everyone in the world in factories and farms and still not have as much *stuff* as we have now. I think it is pretty safe to say though that everyone is much better off by result of this automation. Not just the farmer who now can produce the yield of 20 or 100 farmers from the past, but also the guy who would have had to been a subsistence farmer barely able to afford to keep his farm going. Some might say, "oh but Uber drivers can barely afford to feed themselves." Maybe... but the reality is that the likelihood of any American Uber driver starving to death in the United States is very low compared to the likelihood of anyone starving in the days before automation. Some will say "oh that's because of government welfare" but I also believe calories are cheap and there is enough charity to go around to feed everyone. Not only can street beggars feed themselves from their earnings but most cities also have charities for feeding the homeless which would probably get higher donations if homeless people actually appeared to be skinny rather than overweight.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    Mei, SibeRescueBrian, bsliv and 2 others like this.
  5. henrygates

henrygates

Driving:
    UberXL
    Find your skill set and market yourself as a freelancer.

TurnUpT, Martin Kodiak, bsliv and 2 others like this.
  6. Uber's Guber

Uber's Guber

Driving:
    UberX
    Barber College.

7. MadTownUberD

MadTownUberD Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    Not sure this is helpful, but this is exactly why I am trying to earn as much money as possible when I am relatively young. I want to be able to retire with so much money that work is literally a hobby that is not really necessary. I get yelled at for driving Uber instead of spending time with my children, but until we have all -- and I mean ALL -- debts paid off, I will have this restless inclination.

8. There have been driver jobs since there were cars (and horse and coaches before that). Find a driving job that isn’t ride share. There are many that do not require a CDL and not just taxis. Hotel shuttle drivers, car rental agencies, park and ride, etc. In my state, you only require a CDL if the vehicle seats 16 or more people. Below that, you only need to get a “for hire” endorsement which only requires a short written test (no driving test). Some jobs that offer many different size vans and busses will assist you in getting CDL to drive the larger vehicles.

Fishman, Cdub2k and Mei like this.
  9. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5

Driving:
    Livery
    You can do what you were doing 4 years ago. People speak of Uber like it is the automotive manufacturing industry, in which generations spent up to 80 years on a production line supporting their families only to be laid off. Uber X is barely 4 years old with the vast majority of drivers hired within the last 2 years. There are plenty of jobs out there, even ones that don't require walking or standing for long periods of time.

10. JimKE

JimKE

Uber was founded in 2009.

11. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5

Driving:
    Livery
    I know, I started with Uber in 2012. I posted

12. Retired Senior

Retired Senior

Driving:
    UberX

="Trafficat, MY HAT IS OFF TO YOU! On what otherwise has been a bleak day in a bad week, you have managed to get a laugh out of me. Oh, my kid sister who has been a registered nurse for about 40 years and a nutritional counselor for the past 5, would argue with you that the food consumed by the poor people is what makes them fat, but not at all healthy, but I do understand what you are saying. Appearances do matter, and while it might not be fair to grossly simplify things by judging all books by their covers.... well, to steal another metaphor, where there is smoke there is often fire.

I do appreciate you all letting me get this out of my system. And "oldfart" I do know that it may benefit me if I saw a shrink, but I don't believe that things can truly change for the better (in other words, less all around stress, while Mom is still alive. Our father's last will and testament kind of boxed us in, and even tho his money is nearly gone we still have the house. If we don't act as caretakers for another 14 months the State of Ct will seize the home in which we were raised. It's not spectacular, just a 1950ish raised ranch in Trumbull Ct. Current value about $450,000. Yes it is ironic that my Mom with extreme dementia and my kid sister and her boyfriend live there, while my girlfriend, me and my 3 cats live in a condo that still has not been repaired since the "NorthEasterner" of March 2 2018.

Sometimes I reflect on the words of Janis Joplin: "Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose... "Nothin', don't mean nothin' hon' if it ain't free, no no" and I think of all those stuffed suits in Washington DC, thinking that they are the rulers of the universe, while jumping thru hoops simply to stay in place.

Gotta admit to one thing at least.... Ubering about town certainly gives you time to think!

BostonTaxiDriver, Mei and KellyC like this.
  13. KellyC

KellyC

Driving:
    UberX
    The invisible hand is giving you the finger.

UberLady10001 and Fishman like this.
  14. Retired Senior

Retired Senior

Driving:
    UberX
    Is it at least lubricated?

Bro Olomide, Grahamcracker and KellyC like this.
  15. MadTownUberD

MadTownUberD Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    My thoughts exactly. I was going to say something about KellyCKellyC and a finger (because she's hot) but I don't want to get in trouble.

KellyC likes this.
  16. Get your real estate license. 60 hours of class then the test. Bonus, in the classes you’ll meet many and make contacts. Some classes are available online at ur own pace. Day, night, whenever.

And realtors are independent contractors, although you’re required to hang ur license in a Connecticut brokers office. A few deals a year is an easy $100k gross in commissions.

And (since ur an IC realtor) u can continue doing uber to promote your realtor services to passengers.

I bet u have a high uber rating and passengers love u, start handing out your realtor biz card.

More u hand out the better chance u get a hit. A hit = $$$$$.

In Connecticut: https://www.nrei.us/Courses/CT_Real_Estate_License_Course/

Mei and MadTownUberD like this.
  17. MadTownUberD

MadTownUberD Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    I love the positivity.

RockinEZ, Mei and KellyC like this.
  18. Positive thing happen to positive people.
    It ain’t easy sometimes, but nothing worthwhile ever is

19. KellyC

KellyC

Driving:
    UberX
    Bette Davis says thanks. :D

Lonesome Hobo, Z129 and MadTownUberD like this.
  20. Woohaa

Woohaa

Requires more training to become a barber than a cop. Seriously. Look up the required hours.