What are your thoughts on passengers with animals/pets?

Jake2016

Picked up a tipsy couple last night in Laguna Beach during surge hours.

They asked me if I don't mind their mid-size dog that showed up a bit later from their friend's house. I said: "I don't mind at all, but I need someone to hold it on a towel and I hope it was walked before the ride." The woman didn't like my response and replied: "What? Are you serious?" I said: "I am serious, if an accident happens, I am done for the night", and wanted to kick them out for her attitude. The guy was a kind of apologetic for her and was pleasing me with his sweet talks for the rest of the 10 min ride. She and her dog on the back seat were dead silent.

When I was dropping them off, the guy was very grateful (said "thank you" many times, with no tip though). However, my rating went down. Not surprisingly, huh?

It is my second encounter with passengers with a dog, and my rating consistently drops (to be recovered in a few days). After I am making a comment "as long as you watch your pet carefully, I will take you with no problem", in return though I see their huge entitlement for a ride and attitude that I perhaps need to jump around their dogs and say how cute they are.

Based on what I saw discussed here and my own experiences, I cancel all trips with animals, except with service ones required to be taken by law. It is not worth dealing for me and my impeccable Prius with its leather interior. However, it sucks you don't know when it comes and you waste 10-20 min of your valuable time.

Any thoughts/comments?

Last edited:

UberLaLa

ALWAYS when the wifey acts that way....you will receive a 1 STAR afterwards....if it's about pets, or whatever.

And she was just being a twit if you ask me. You were very gracious to let them bring the animal in your personal car. She should have replied, Absolutely, and thanks!

ADD: By they way, you can go back to the Trip and adjust your rating of them if you like.

Jake2016

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
ALWAYS when the wifey acts that way....you will receive a 1 STAR afterwards....if it's about pets, or whatever.

And she was just being a twit if you ask me. You were very gracious to let them bring the animal in your personal car. She should have replied, Absolutely, and thanks!

ADD: By they way, you can go back to the Trip and adjust your rating of them if you like.
Agreed, I gave them 2, only because the guy was trying to be nice.

UberLaLa

I say how cute they are first and then say I just need you to hold him/her on your lap please.
By the way Jbeck - had this guy get in the backseat last night with like 5 bags of whatever junk. I asked him if I could help him put them in the back cargo area...and he's like, No, this is fine.... As he sets the first bag on the back seat.

All I could think was....CHICKEN SHITE!

It would be best if we set those on the floor please.

He did and we was both happy campers :wink:

Brocktoon

I flat out refuse all pets (of course I'd take a service animal). It's not going to be worth the hassle if the pet makes the mess, also the way other pax treat my vehicle, I highly doubt the pax would care if their animal made a mess or started chewing on anything.

sd1303

I said: "I don't mind at all, but I need someone to hold it on a towel and I hope it was walked before the ride." The woman didn't like my response and replied: "What? Are you serious?"
"Actually, I just remembered... Uber/Lyft does not allow pets. Sorry, I don't think I'm going to be able to give you guys a ride." cancel.

I'm willing to work with people if they pass the attitude test. But if they don't appreciate that you are helping them out by bending the rules, then it is not worth dealing with them.

OC Lady Uber Driver

I picked up a couple who were going to breakfast and they had a teacup Yorkie terrier - cutest thing. The gentleman held it on his lap the whole way petting it and I didn't hear the dog at all. Tiny dog, on a leash, well behaved - no problem. I might think twice if it were medium or a large dog on my seat. I have chunky rubber mats in the back I can hose off and already carry a towel in my car.

UberIsAllFubared

If she gave you attitude on the phone, I would have cancelled the ride right then. Anytime someone gives me attitude on the phone, it never fails, I get a non 5 star rating. I learned, if there is a hint of a problem before they get into car, NO RIDE. Just not worth it.

As far as pets go. Small animals, service animals, and CHICKENS only. :biggrin:

painfreepc

If she gave you attitude on the phone, I would have cancelled the ride right then. Anytime someone gives me attitude on the phone, it never fails, I get a non 5 star rating. I learned, if there is a hint of a problem before they get into car, NO RIDE. Just not worth it.

As far as pets go. Small animals, service animals, and CHICKENS only. :biggrin:
If you walk into any brick and mortar store and give the sales person or the owner an attitude or a problem they will show you the door,

So I cannot for the life of me understand why their drivers here who think they're supposed to take crap from passengers and the trip is not even started yet..

Anyone that gives me attitude or a problem over the phone or in my car I politely tell them the same rules and etiquette applies in my car that applies in my house.

Jake2016

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Perhaps, it is a dumb question. Let's say, if they have a large animal and say it is a service one, how can they prove it? Any documents they should show?

Loving my cheap Uber passengers, I don't want to take their word for it.

Last edited:

painfreepc

Perhaps, it is a dumb question. Let's say, if they have a large animal and say it is a service one, how can they prove it? Any documents they should show?

They are not required to show you any type of documents,

Even if they are carrying it right there in purse or wallet even if it's right there in their hands,

They are not required to show it to you, they can walk in with pet rattlesnake around their neck and say it's a service animal there is nothing we can do about it..

They can get in the car with a pet tiger since we seem to have no rights whatsoever..

Last edited:

Papa Sarducci

I go back to my idea with service animals, there needs to be an option on the Rider app to select things like pet, small child, service animal, etc. that way the driver sees it on the ping and can decide to take it or let it go. This bullshit of driving to the pax location (up to 20+ minutes possibly) to find this out is just wrong. This app has been around a LONG time, why wasn't this added years ago?

Papa Sarducci

They are not required to show you any type of documents,

Even if they are carrying it right there in purse or wallet even if it's right there in their hands,

They are not required to show it to you, they can walk in with pet rattlesnake around their neck and say it's a service animal there is nothing we can do about it..

They can get in the car with a pet tiger since we seem to have no rights whatsoever..
Actually, a snake wouldn't qualify, the ADA rules changed a couple years ago, it is dogs only now. I would welcome a snake actually, well maybe not a rattler, but non-venemous is fine.

KekeLo

I'm going to start kicking those pax out of my damn car. I'm sick of them and their BS.:mad:

No, you can't bring a freaking dog in my car. GTFO of here.:mad:

Papa Sarducci

You can ask them two questions, is the animal required for a disability and what is the dog trained to do for you. You can also gently remind them that it is a crime to misrepresent an animal that is not a legitimate service animal as such, in some cases it is also illegal to use a service animal if you are not disabled. If they give attitude and you know it isn't a real service animal, tell them you will call the police and have them come and sort it out.

https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html