Inshur

What are you going to do ?

Ormes

The paradox of Uber getting richer but drivers getting poorer begs the question..What are the sensible, experienced drivers going to do ?

UberLuxbod

Why does anybody think an Operator getting richer by paying the driver less is in anyway an Uber thing?

It's been happening for years, sometimes you would do jobs where the Acc rate was discounted as it was a big Acc.

The Operator can offset the lower rate on turnover of jobs, a driver can't as its still one job at a time.

If the Operators wanted to they could reduce their commission on discounted account work, but I don't remember one ever doing so.

Welcome to the business world. It's cut throat and your only option is to get your own Op Lic and punters. And resolve to not screw drivers over the same way, though It usually doesn't happen that way for long.

Swifty126

Any suggestions???
The best way forward is to some how get TFL to set rates,like they do for BC,every years they get a fare increase,and there have different rates for day and night
London is the only place in the south.same rate 3am and 3pm,most of Home Counties we have time and half after midnight to 6 am

Swifty126

Get more qualifications and do something else like phv or pcv licence
You need to understand most of us are in our late 40s or early 50s and have been doing this for afew decades and how many pcv drivers do you think they need on the road

UberLuxbod

The best way forward is to some how get TFL to set rates,like they do for BC,every years they get a fare increase,and there have different rates for day and night
London is the only place in the south.same rate 3am and 3pm,most of Home Counties we have time and half after midnight to 6 am
That would never happen.

Put simply if the rates where so low at Uber they would have no drivers.

Drivers set their own worth. Taking into consideration availability of other work and cashflow.

Drivers that still work for Uber can't really moan about Uber rates. If you think they are too low then leave and get the rates you want elsewhere.

Drivers that left as soon as rate cuts arrived have decided they are worth more for whatever reason, in my case I wasn't prepared to drop from £4 per mile given the quality of the average UberLux punter.

Some Lux drivers were happy enough with the rate drop for whatever reasons.

If I needed a flexible Operator to fill in down time whilst building my own clients then Uber would still be considered, along with BlackLane, but it would only be a short term solution to increase cash flow rather than a long term goal of the Business.

UberLuxbod

That is not entirely sensible,because by working for uber we are taking away the work from the operator
If you don't see building your own client base as an Operator and using Uber to be your backup whilst you build up or when you have no private work then you misunderstand the entire concept of being self employed.

And in reply to your other post, what difference does being in your 40's or 50's make?

I know people doing the KoL in their 50's, due to his years as a Courier and PH driver he has found it easy.

But sticking with Uber when you are not happy is pointless.

Much like some Cabbies who clearly hate being a Taxi driver but feel they can't do anything else because they have done it for so long.

I know a bloke that is in his late 30's and going back to Uni, he will obviously keep his Taxi and GB as a back up. I reckon he just wanted a new challenge and a job with a Pension, sick pay etc.

Swifty126

That would never happen.

Put simply if the rates where so low at Uber they would have no drivers.

Drivers set their own worth. Taking into consideration availability of other work and cashflow.

Drivers that still work for Uber can't really moan about Uber rates. If you think they are too low then leave and get the rates you want elsewhere.

Drivers that left as soon as rate cuts arrived have decided they are worth more for whatever reason, in my case I wasn't prepared to drop from £4 per mile given the quality of the average UberLux punter.

Some Lux drivers were happy enough with the rate drop for whatever reasons.

If I needed a flexible Operator to fill in down time whilst building my own clients then Uber would still be considered, along with BlackLane, but it would only be a short term solution to increase cash flow rather than a long term goal of the Business.
I don't work for uber,although I did for about 3 months to see what the hype is all about,still have my app though
I drive ph I don't have a operators licence,working in Home Counties
We have meters in all vehicle rate 1 is 2.75 per mile,Sunday rate 2 £3.20 and rate 3 every night 00.00 to 06.00am which is £4.05 per mile
I drive a 4 door saloon not excutive or a lux

Attachments

essexman

I was thinking becoming mechanic for Uber drivers went to Garage my Alternater packed up so bought me one went to garage to get price to fit 150 pounds so done it myself took me 2 hours 75 pound hour not bad if I done it again could do it in 1 hour.

Bricklaying is in demand 30 pound hour same as electricians

Unskilled there is Aldi 10 pound hour or delivery driver Tesco etc minimum wage

uberx2

Interesting thread:

Its the drivers who determine the rates not the operators. The lower the rates that we're prepared to work for the lower they will go. It makes no difference to operators who get their rent money or commission whether the rates are low or high. Simple solution - if the rates are too low stop working for them.

Operator margins are around the same as they've always been except for Uber who charge a bit more than most.

essexman

Interesting thread:

Its the drivers who determine the rates not the operators. The lower the rates that we're prepared to work for the lower they will go. It makes no difference to operators who get their rent money or commission whether the rates are low or high. Simple solution - if the rates are too low stop working for them.

Operator margins are around the same as they've always been except for Uber who charge a bit more than most.
Uber is the first I know to charge 25% and there operating costs are next to nothing except they take the hit on runners(e.g card fraud stolen accounts) and the freebies they give like 10 pound off first fair.

John John

Uber is the first I know to charge 25% and there operating costs are next to nothing except they take the hit on runners(e.g card fraud stolen accounts) and the freebies they give like 10 pound off first fair.
They need all that cash for the brown envelopes for the politicians, policy makers, tfl etc lol

UberLuxbod

I don't work for uber,although I did for about 3 months to see what the hype is all about,still have my app though
I drive ph I don't have a operators licence,working in Home Counties
We have meters in all vehicle rate 1 is 2.75 per mile,Sunday rate 2 £3.20 and rate 3 every night 00.00 to 06.00am which is £4.05 per mile
I drive a 4 door saloon not excutive or a lux
In other words you have done exactly as I suggested.

Left because Uber did not pay you what you believed you are worth.

Let's not forget that many PH drivers are more than happy with what they earn with Uber.

Their choice, their life.