• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

What Are The Best Little Extras

Dangdriver

Any suggestions for adding little extras for my passenger/customers?

I have started offering bottles of water from a case I got at Costco and they seem to be doing pretty well, especially during our heat waves here in California.

I have also been handing out activity books which I downloaded online and have been printing for the kids.

This is for both Uber and Lyft pax.

I have been told by some pax that some drivers have ice chests of snacks and items which they either give away or sell. Is that a good idea? Has anybody tried that and found it useful for improved ratings and tips?
Do you end up with a backseat full of wrappers?

How about airplane barf bags?

Kodyhead

Barf bags with the ring are the best ones, I have them all over my car, but more for conversation starters for tips. Don't give away stuff, have conversation starters and then master those conversations to get tips

I don't keep cold water in my car but keep water, but I give them out to homeless people in front of riders mostly for tips from WHAT WOULD JESUS DO tourists lol. Its like buying a $0.10 scratch off ticket, you get a $5-$20 once in a while

henrygates

The best amenities are the ones that cost the least and add the most value (tips).

Water may increase tips in Arizona. Maybe not so much in Oregon.

I added water to my car for a month. Then i took it away for a month. I changed nothing else. I saw zero correlation between offering water and tips.

Test.

kc ub'ing!

Don’t give anything away. It’s lame. You can’t buy respect or goodwill! Be professional, helpful and friendly. That’s how you get tips and good ratings!

The only good idea in your post is barf bags. And I need one after hearing about your ‘activity books’ for the children.

4.9 on U and L after 6000 zero amenities trips!

KD_LA

Author
Crayons are great for graffiti on the back of the drivers seat.
YahooIcon21.gif
YahooIcon21.gif
My immediate thought!

Handing out free "consumables" is a waste of time and money unless you're making too much money! I'd say the #1 perk/convenience is phone chargers -- and chargers in plural.

I have two of these hanging from the back of my front seats https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0714DT6CR/?tag=ubne0c-20 (with a 2-headed splitter/extension cable plus plug-in USB chargers feeding them from the center console). I have another of those charging cables sitting in the front on the center console, separate from the cable for my own phone. Very invaluable to pax on the go: you want them to keep their phones charged so you can get their pings!

Atom guy

Don’t give anything away. It’s lame. You can’t buy respect or goodwill! Be professional, helpful and friendly. That’s how you get tips and good ratings!

The only good idea in your post is barf bags. And I need one after hearing about your ‘activity books’ for the children.

4.9 on U and L after 6000 zero amenities trips!
So true. I used to sell cars, and we had a desperate salesman who would offer to buy customers accessories for their cars out of his own pocket. He'd spend more on that stuff to buy the sale than he'd make in commission. And he'd still get walked on by the customers.

Christinebitg

The only time when I offer water is if I'm picking up from an outdoor event and the weather has been hot.

I *do* have phone cords to charge various phones, but that didn't cost me anything. I already had all of them.

I don't mention the cords, but am happy to supply them if asked.

Christine

kdyrpr

Oil paints, Chocolate pudding, Cotton candy, Buffalo wings, Shoe polish are my favorites. Oh, make sure you bring along turpentine so they can clean their brushes (oil paint). ……..Dude, really??? Now that I think of it, you must be a troll. That pic and your post are just TOO perfect.

uberinatltrafficsux

I have started offering bottles of water from a case I got at Costco and they seem to be doing pretty well, especially during our heat waves here in California.

I have also been handing out activity books which I downloaded online and have been printing for the kids.

I have been told by some pax that some drivers have ice chests of snacks and items which they either give away or sell. Is that a good idea? Has anybody tried that and found it useful for improved ratings and tips?

If they don't like your little treats you could always take them out for dinner and then to a massage. Make the cheap pax feel so good.

Pulledclear

Doritos and ice cream or just any type of greasy or oily food item. You could also give cash rebates to keep that all important rating up. Great work you're going places!

Steve_TX

The best amenities are the ones that cost the least and add the most value (tips).

Water may increase tips in Arizona. Maybe not so much in Oregon.

I added water to my car for a month. Then i took it away for a month. I changed nothing else. I saw zero correlation between offering water and tips.

Test.

I did a similar, yet unscientific test myself to see the difference in tips. This was as good a test ground as I could come up with, especially with a hotter than normal summer in Austin.
  • May - No water offered.
  • June - Non-chilled water offered.
  • July - Chilled water offered.
  • August - No water offered.
No difference in tips.
As a matter of fact, my August tips are better than the last 3 months at the halfway mark.​

Of course, the summer slowdown we experience here in Austin could skew those numbers. So I may start another test in September when school is in full swing.