What are people doing about insurance in NY?

Maven

I called State Farm and they didnt care. They recommended that I up the coverage so that way there was more. But when I did my first pickup there was a waybill and when you have people in your car you are covered under that nation wide coverage. NYS even dictates that they have a certain level of coverage. So I didnt even bother changing my insurance. When they are in the car I have the extra coverage. This is how I look at it.
Are you saying that State Farm in NYS did not care that you do TFH/Riseshare/Uber? Are you saying that SF will provide coverage when you are online? Who did you speak to? The SF-agents are mostly unaware of SF-underwriters guidelines. :frown: You must forced them to ask the SF-underwriters to get a real answer.

If you look at the recently enacted NYS law, these is a suspicious coincidence. The amount of insurance required is exactly the same as Uber/Lyft already offered nationwide. It is almost as if the Uber/Lyft lobbyists wrote that part of the law. (Psst. They did.)

David Hasfurter

I didnt speak to anybody (can you ever actually get a hold of someone). Each trip produces a waybill and inside that it shows the insurance certificate.

Maven

I didnt speak to anybody (can you ever actually get a hold of someone). Each trip produces a waybill and inside that it shows the insurance certificate.
I am familiar with the waybill and the insurance certificate within. Both refer to Uber, not State Farm. Uber insurance is well known and understood to have significant gaps. The unanswered question is if SF will close those gaps. The answer is probably NO in NYS.

Teach1

Over the years tens of thousands people have been drivers. I'm sure there has been accidents involving drivers probably thousands. Most of them involving with PAX in the car. The insurance recognizes about rideshare gaps. Maybe they realize the turnover is tremendous and don't want to get involved. It's available in Ohio and from what I hear 20-30 a month but I'm sure it's based on amount of miles driven. I don't know regs NYS legislature put in place. I don't know what answer is but you can come up with tons of what if's. maven has said a general statement there's lots of gaps. I'm sure he's right but what are some? So I would say error in side of caution.

221CNY_UBERdrvr

I've gone through the fun of looking for "gap insurance", and "rideshare" insurance. Right now, neither are available. Commercial is way to expensive and forget Vehicle For Hire (VFH) insurance.

The good news is that USAA will not cancel your insurance for driving Uber, though probably best to let them know upfront like I have.

When I talked with a Rep from USAA his research indicates they will be rolling out coverage for rideshare, just no info on when.

Teach1

Dmc my experience with uber and insurance was just that my experience. I see on the thread there are some companies that don't care if you're ridesharing. You're just not covered when on the app which is reasonable.

Chimesickle

Just got a non renewal notice from progressive. November 4th is my last day with them. " Commercial use of the vehicle is unacceptable "

Chimesickle

Nope, I didn't notify them. They have ways of finding out. One method was joining Facebook uber pages, and posing as drivers. Not sure how they found out about me, maybe they asked uber for the names of drivers, and matched them to their policies. All I know is that new York state insurers are aggressive about cancelling rideshare drivers, but not about creating the addendums to the policies.

scrooge64

I do not drive in Phase 1. When I am waiting for a pax, I am legally parked, my transmission is in “P” and my engine is off (saves gas, as well). I turn on both apps, and as soon as I get a call from either app, I accept the call, go offline with the other app, and now, I am in Phase 2, going to pick up my pax. When I pick up my pax, I am in Phase 3 until I drop my pax off. I then go off line (“Phase 0”) and drive to a parking place, where I go back on line again. On my first run of the day, I will be at home, ready to jump in my car and go if I get a call.

Chimesickle

OMG, that's crazy, that's around the same price I was quoted for commercial insurance, to drive a cab. None of us can afford that. I only have two weeks left before I need new insurance. May have to cancel my uber account

ChaseWolf

OMG, that's crazy, that's around the same price I was quoted for commercial insurance, to drive a cab. None of us can afford that. I only have two weeks left before I need new insurance. May have to cancel my uber account
Is that an option? (ie, would Progressive un-cancel your policy if you retire from Uber?)

Chimesickle

Progressive didn't give me the option to renew my insurance if I stopped doing uber. But allstate said if I quit uber, I could get car insurance. Still searching. I have a couple more days

Taxi tony

Too many people are being misled by Uber regarding insurance. First of all let me remind you, you are dealing with a app. At any time they can disconnect you and have no further correspondence with you. Uber is to benefit the customer. They can care less about their drivers. When you drive for Uber and Lyft you are considered a subcontractor. That relinquishes them of all responsibilities. When you take into consideration the wear and tear on your vehicle, the additional oil changes, the tires, the fuel, and the depreciated value because of the high mileage, along with the 1099 for the Taxes you're going to have to pay, this company does nothing for the drivers but use them for their benefit. Furthermore, it is written rate in your personal insurance policy that you are not allowed to use your vehicle for commercial purposes. So regardless of what over tries to convince you of, how they have insurance that covers you like a blanket, contraire. They may cover the passenger but as far as you being taken care of you can forget it.

ckg927

Too many people are being misled by Uber regarding insurance. First of all let me remind you, you are dealing with a app. At any time they can disconnect you and have no further correspondence with you. Uber is to benefit the customer. They can care less about their drivers. When you drive for Uber and Lyft you are considered a subcontractor. That relinquishes them of all responsibilities. When you take into consideration the wear and tear on your vehicle, the additional oil changes, the tires, the fuel, and the depreciated value because of the high mileage, along with the 1099 for the Taxes you're going to have to pay, this company does nothing for the drivers but use them for their benefit. Furthermore, it is written rate in your personal insurance policy that you are not allowed to use your vehicle for commercial purposes. So regardless of what over tries to convince you of, how they have insurance that covers you like a blanket, contraire. They may cover the passenger but as far as you being taken care of you can forget it.
Stop spamming every damned forum on this site and lying.

Taxi tony

Stop spamming every damned forum on this site and lying.
Sorry if you don't like to hear the truth. I wish I would see that Uber sticker in the rear view window of my car while you're behind me. But then again what am I going to get a trailer.

Taxi tony

I do not drive in Phase 1. When I am waiting for a pax, I am legally parked, my transmission is in “P” and my engine is off (saves gas, as well). I turn on both apps, and as soon as I get a call from either app, I accept the call, go offline with the other app, and now, I am in Phase 2, going to pick up my pax. When I pick up my pax, I am in Phase 3 until I drop my pax off. I then go off line (“Phase 0”) and drive to a parking place, where I go back on line again. On my first run of the day, I will be at home, ready to jump in my car and go if I get a call.
You may think that you have the answer but your insurance company gave you a policy when you signed up with your insurance company. You are not allowed to use your car for commercial purposes. Ride-sharing is a commercial purpose. Regardless if you are in Phase 1 2 3 or 43 it doesn't matter to the insurance company. If you have a accident and the insurance company suspect that you are doing ride-sharing whether you are in the ride-sharing app at the time of the accident or not you are still using your personal car for commercial purposes. When you take your car to the adjuster to get the repair bill for the damages they're going to see that Uber sticker in your window. Now you can either commit insurance fraud by telling them you're not working for a ride sharing service which they can very easily verify if you are or not or you can't continue to try and beat the system. Believe me if a insurance company can find a way not to pay a claim they will. You are taking a chance plain and simple. God forbid you hurt somebody and have to pay out of your personal pocket. You can lose everything you own. I don't know how much clearer I can make that. Your policy clearly states you cannot use your vehicle for commercial purposes. Regardless of what Cooper is telling you you are considered a subcontractor. I wish you luck.

Just got a non renewal notice from progressive. November 4th is my last day with them. " Commercial use of the vehicle is unacceptable "
I have been trying to inform people of this for quite a while now and everybody says oh I'm just trying to scare drivers away thank God you got smart it didn't get into an accident good luck

ckg927

Sorry if you don't like to hear the truth. I wish I would see that Uber sticker in the rear view window of my car while you're behind me. But then again what am I going to get a trailer.
"Sorry if you don't like to hear MY VERSION OF the truth."

FTFY.